Hot Deals

[Anova Culinary] Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker - BLACK FRIDAY Sale $129 (70 off) for BT, $159 (100 off) for wifi - Free Shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 11:20 am
Jan 3, 2007
657 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
sergers wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 8:35 pm
1) build protype from disassembled kettle
2) build even cheaper components yourself.. like a temp sensor and a variable watt heating element connected to a esp8266 and display
3) ??? (Crowdfunding?)
4)win

Do it.
I actually do have a home setup. I have a heating element that is connected to a temperature controlled electrical switch.

But it's ugly, and there are wires. I'll eventually get something cleaner when it gets cheaper.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
1928 posts
640 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Had family over tonight for a 25 hour roast. They were blown away that they are ordering a machine tomorrow. Love sous vide. Anyone know how long this sale is on for? I couldn't see an end date. Thanks
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2004
2090 posts
312 upvotes
The coupon code seems dead... Does anyone happen to have a valid code?
Dec 16, 2007
100 posts
46 upvotes
Vertigo wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 1:01 am
The code was only valid for 48 hrs according to the person who provided it.
Nov 16, 2010
15 posts
11 upvotes
Milton
Do yourselves a favor.
When you see Real Canadian Superstore or Loblaws have a sale on Prime Rib Roast....get tons of it!
They usually put them on sale for 4.99 a pound.

These come in roast configuration and would usually come with 2-3 rib bones....with excellent marbling.
All you have to do is butcher the ribs off, then slice into 1.5 inch thick steaks. These are now called rib eyes.
Enjoy!!
Nov 19, 2009
397 posts
82 upvotes
Windsor
mawzi wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 2:06 am
I actually do have a home setup. I have a heating element that is connected to a temperature controlled electrical switch.

But it's ugly, and there are wires. I'll eventually get something cleaner when it gets cheaper.
Monoprice sells one for $70USD with no WiFi/BT that looks suspiciously like the Anova. You might even consider that too high for what it is. It went on sale for $48USD a few days ago and I would have bit at that price, but it went out of stock before I could order - I hope to catch it the next time. I'd bought the controls for a DIY one years ago myself but haven't gotten around to putting it together.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4003 posts
556 upvotes
Aurora
Vertigo wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 1:01 am
guardian604 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 2:19 am
The code was only valid for 48 hrs according to the person who provided it.
Thanks for the notice. Original post updated to exclude expired coupon code in the price.

I was emailed the same coupon code so it appears it was for a limited time only. If anyone has a new code, feel free to post here.
Jan 3, 2007
657 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
ram77 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 3:01 pm
Monoprice sells one for $70USD with no WiFi/BT that looks suspiciously like the Anova. You might even consider that too high for what it is. It went on sale for $48USD a few days ago and I would have bit at that price, but it went out of stock before I could order - I hope to catch it the next time. I'd bought the controls for a DIY one years ago myself but haven't gotten around to putting it together.
Perfect, thank you. I wish there was price alert on monoprice. I don't mind waiting for a sale.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2005
2043 posts
68 upvotes
mawzi wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 5:51 pm
Perfect, thank you. I wish there was price alert on monoprice. I don't mind waiting for a sale.
Someone asked if it was made by Anova on the monoprice site. Their response:

"Greetings! This unit would be a Monoprice product and not be made by Anova. Should you have additional questions, feel free to reach out to us at tech@monoprice.com and our knowledgeable Technical Support staff would be more than happy to assist. Thank you."

Knockoff in case people are wondering if it's legit.
Jul 22, 2007
233 posts
28 upvotes
Now that I have the anova, I am questioning the purchase lol

Vegetables(asparagus) came out with a steamed wet texture, did not like.

I can see it being useful for roasts and such requiring a longer cooktime, but i am a family of 2... And don't see myself cooking these things too often.

I haven't even had it for a week so I will play around as much as I can for next few more, but already thinking about returning and investing in better pan lol
Sep 5, 2008
302 posts
134 upvotes
Port Moody
mawzi wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 5:51 pm
I use changedetection.com, just enter the url and you can get notified when the page changes.
Jul 22, 2007
233 posts
28 upvotes
tried some new york strip steaks.

at 131F for 1 hour they turned out amazing, but for 1 steak when a seared for a minute each side in a pan and let it rest for a few minutes only while finishing up the other steaks was alot more done and tougher...

the next steaks i took straight out from bath, to 30 seconds sear and directly to plate. the steak was probably the most tender steak i have ever eaten with a nice bright pink center (better than pan home made and restaurant).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4003 posts
556 upvotes
Aurora
sergers wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 4:02 pm
tried some new york strip steaks.

at 131F for 1 hour they turned out amazing, but for 1 steak when a seared for a minute each side in a pan and let it rest for a few minutes only while finishing up the other steaks was alot more done and tougher...

the next steaks i took straight out from bath, to 30 seconds sear and directly to plate. the steak was probably the most tender steak i have ever eaten with a nice bright pink center (better than pan home made and restaurant).
I have to admit the searing part at the end is the thing I dislike about this cooking. It puts the uncertainty back into your perfectly cooked food. I do it at as high a temperature as I can for as short at time as I can so I just get a thin crust on the outside and no additional cooking on the inside. I was thinking about playing around with an actual food torch but never got around to it. Like everything else, some practice and research work wonders. Most of us probably didn't grill a perfect steak the first time around.
Feb 13, 2004
526 posts
45 upvotes
Vancouver
For those close to the boarder and interested in the Joule keep an eye out or send a request in some of the sousvide forums out there. Last month there were $30 coupons being shared bringing down white polycarbinate Joule down to $149USD. Would have pulled the trigger, but didnt need the expense just before a big trip.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)