Hot Deals

[Anova Culinary] Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker - BLACK FRIDAY Sale $129 (70 off) for BT, $159 (100 off) for wifi - Free Shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 11:20 am
Aug 26, 2015
125 posts
74 upvotes
Received mine today, and god that was the best steak I’ve ever made. Thanks op, it’s indeed awesome.
Aug 22, 2016
65 posts
8 upvotes
Montreal
So I can start cooking the anova anywhere with wifi? Do I need to be within range of the wifi or can i start cooking from my workplace and get home with a ready steak.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5580 posts
1426 upvotes
I am a cheapskate - I sometimes buy Veal or Beef "Shoulder Blade" steaks at Copa's (GTA Italian supermarket) when it's on sale for as low as $2.99 lb. The steaks are normally cut 1.5 to 2 inches thick.
This week I pulled a pkg out of the freezer - cut it in portions small enough to fit in large zip lock type bags. (Costco Business in Toronto sells Titan brand that seem to work really well for sous vide).
I smeared the outside of each piece with a paste of Montreal Steak Spice and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Anova for 65.5C for 7 hrs - then seared and final cook on the gas BBQ (dusted with umami powder while cooking) for about 15 minutes.

They came out tender, tasty and juicy.
So far my wife and I have had 2 meals of steak, 1 meal of steak stir fry and tonight it's steak fajitas. (all made with a crappy cut of beef turned into a tasty steak courtesy of sous vide cooking.)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4009 posts
561 upvotes
Aurora
Laviza wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 6:31 pm
Anova is having a Black Friday sale.
It's now $100 off
https://ca.anovaculinary.com
Thanks. I've updated the original post with the new BF sale pricing. Best price I've seen all year. No coupons needed.
Oct 15, 2013
135 posts
78 upvotes
Anyone have a good deal on a rack to hold the pouches underwater? Really annoying when they float.
Dec 4, 2008
31 posts
6 upvotes
Saskatoon
Bobbyboosted wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 5:22 am
So I can start cooking the anova anywhere with wifi? Do I need to be within range of the wifi or can i start cooking from my workplace and get home with a ready steak.
You can access it via any wifi connection so long as your ANOVA at home is plugged in and connected to your home wifi and paired with your phone. I routinely leave things to defrost and start the cooking via Wi-Fi from work. This way you arrive at home when your food is ready for the final preparations.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
2342 posts
791 upvotes
Laviza wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 7:42 am
We've been eying this from Ikea to sous vide multiple items at the same time:
https://m.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/art/70154800/
We use a vacuum sealer to get all the air out of the food bag and there's no issue with floating.
That is the rack I use. Super flexible as far as how you can fit things in it. The accordion action lets you clamp tightly to the bags. It can be placed upside down to hold any potential floater bags down (I have a 5lb weight that I put on top of the rack when it is inverted). It also works sideways.
I use it in a Coleman Stacker cooler that I cut a hole in the lid to fit the Anova.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
2342 posts
791 upvotes
Daphilta wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 8:14 am
You can access it via any wifi connection so long as your ANOVA at home is plugged in and connected to your home wifi and paired with your phone. I routinely leave things to defrost and start the cooking via Wi-Fi from work. This way you arrive at home when your food is ready for the final preparations.
You just have to be aware of food safety with this. You can't safely leave food at room temperature for any length of time before bacteria growth is out of control and spoils your food. There are ways to do this correctly - ice bath, etc. - but you just need to understand that.
It isn't as simple as dropping you bag of steak in the pot in the morning, letting it sit there all day and turning on you Anova at 3pm to heat your water to 131F and have an edible steak when you get home @ 5pm.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2008
4973 posts
2253 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I have joined the club :D

Is there a long, winding RFD thread on sous vide cooking that I can read at work?
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
2342 posts
791 upvotes
aeba7 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 11:52 am

Is there a long, winding RFD thread on sous vide cooking that I can read at work?
Not RFD - but here is an excellent resource to get you started:
Serious Eats

Google is also a wonderful friend. Or just post your questions here and we will answer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4009 posts
561 upvotes
Aurora
aeba7 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 11:52 am

Here's the Sous Vide thread from the Food and Drink forum, though it's a bit old and this thread is starting to rival that one:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sous-vid ... d-1500399/

Also, as @flyer12 noted, SeriousEats is partnered with Anova and provides excellent content and insight on sous vide techniques and recipes.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
1177 posts
698 upvotes
Toronto
chadw01 wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 9:31 am
Thanks OP.

Never knew about Sous Vide cooking before, but now I'm curious and have questions.

1. What are the health implications of boiling food in plastic bags and possibly having chemicals leaching into the food?

For anyone that can answer, much appreciated.
Here is a compilation of studies, conclusion is lack of data to determine toxicity and health implications:
http://pprc.org/index.php/2013/p2-rapid ... v-cooking/
gogozy wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 11:39 am
another advantages i can think of sous-vide; is the it does not produce fume, smoke or smell during process, so we don't need to keep the rangehood on all the time during cooking period.
as for these concern about chemicals in bags leach out, would having a layer of aluminum foil warp or seal the food inside the zip bags helps?
thanks
no additional advantage there, you still need to sear your steak unless you like it slimy and rare on the outside too. it might reduce your searing duration from 5 mins to 1 min though. I would use silicone bag, Anova sells one, as there is some evidence linking Aluminum to various mental health issues.
flyer12 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 3:27 pm

Except you don't do step 7 with a raw steak (or at least very few of us do - who enjoys your steak blue?). Cooking a steak non-sous vide requires that you stay at the cooking location for the 4-10 minutes to cook it with the flipping, watching for flareups, etc).
There is more prep work involved with a sous vide steak (and possible more waste depending on what you do with the plastic bag after) but the elimination of the babysitting while cooking and the overall guaranteed deliciousness more than makes up for that.
you will rarely get a raw steak if you cook it for 10 minutes, maybe rare on 4 minutes in a very hot pan. But I don't see how sous vide can help you avoid flipping and flare ups when you take the steak out of your bag for searing. if you are talking about a roast, then that is a different story