• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2017 8:17 am
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 17, 2009
448 posts
205 upvotes

Anti-Pro-Life protesters near Ryerson Univ. :|

There are these pro-life protestors that show up near Ryerson University with these professional placards showing gruesome high-detailed pictures of aborted fetuses. So, pro-choice protestors show up with these crudely drawn signs with messages such as "my body my choice" which cover (at least partially) the pro-life gruesome pictures. Here's one link on the story.

I do not know if the pro-choice people took any psychology in school, but I believe their tactics is having the boomerang effect. At least, that's how it feels.

What I mean is that had I seen the gross pictures, I would have been dismayed from looking at them, ever again and ignored the pro-life people. But through the pro-choice people covering up the photos, in a weird way, I am curious to see them, because the pro-life people do change the pictures (I pass by Ryerson, quite frequently). They're terrible photos that are disgusting, but you feel compelled to see them, because someone is partially covering them. It's a really annoying psychological effect, let me tell you.

I think the strategy is questionable for the pro-choice people. Crudely drawn signs being held against professionally looking placards, feels & looks almost like an immature child having a temper tantrum because s/he is not getting their way. Strategically, at least in commercial sales, if you want to kill a bad product (pardon the pun) you leave it out to dry and let it fall as people start ignoring it. You don't turn it into a loss leader by covering it up and telling people not to look at it, which can spark people's curiosity. But then again, what do I know?
59 replies
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2003
16114 posts
1677 upvotes
Langley
I don't have any interest in seeing gruesome pictures.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1354 posts
550 upvotes
Hamilton
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 4:18 pm
There are these pro-life protestors that show up near Ryerson University with these professional placards showing gruesome high-detailed pictures of aborted fetuses. So, pro-choice protestors show up with these crudely drawn signs with messages such as "my body my choice" which cover (at least partially) the pro-life gruesome pictures. Here's one link on the story.

I do not know if the pro-choice people took any psychology in school, but I believe their tactics is having the boomerang effect. At least, that's how it feels.

What I mean is that had I seen the gross pictures, I would have been dismayed from looking at them, ever again and ignored the pro-life people. But through the pro-choice people covering up the photos, in a weird way, I am curious to see them, because the pro-life people do change the pictures (I pass by Ryerson, quite frequently). They're terrible photos that are disgusting, but you feel compelled to see them, because someone is partially covering them. It's a really annoying psychological effect, let me tell you.

I think the strategy is questionable for the pro-choice people. Crudely drawn signs being held against professionally looking placards, feels & looks almost like an immature child having a temper tantrum because s/he is not getting their way. Strategically, at least in commercial sales, if you want to kill a bad product (pardon the pun) you leave it out to dry and let it fall as people start ignoring it. You don't turn it into a loss leader by covering it up and telling people not to look at it, which can spark people's curiosity. But then again, what do I know?
That's 100% what it is.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
13907 posts
1432 upvotes
Toronto
Those anti-abortion guys are lying to you though. Those are pictures of miscarriages, not abortions. They use those because there's more shock value in seeing extremely late term miscarriages of nearly-fully-formed kids than there is in seeing what an actual legal abortion result looks like.
Last edited by Piro21 on Sep 6th, 2017 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2607 posts
277 upvotes
Ottawa
This is how counter-protests should happen; one group attempts to persuade the audience to accept an alternate or contradictory viewpoint, without resorting to violence.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5664 posts
220 upvotes
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 5:13 pm
This is how counter-protests should happen; one group attempts to persuade the audience to accept an alternate or contradictory viewpoint, without resorting to violence.
That doesn't seem to be happening here though. The counter-protestors are being aggressive and attempting to block the protestors' signs with their own. That shouldn't be how we behave as a society.

That being said, how are you allowed to put up signs with gruesome photos on a city street? Aren't there decency laws that should be enforced by the police not counter-protestors?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
3800 posts
937 upvotes
Good on them for bravely standing up for life. Any and all abortion should be completely illegal. Any who either receives it or facilitates it belongs in jail. Let people see the gruesome reality of what is sold as a "life choice". It is not a life choice, it is murder, plain and simple.
As we all know, the Greater Toronto Area is the center of the universe!
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3526 posts
982 upvotes
Toronto
Poutinesauce wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 1:18 pm
Good on them for bravely standing up for life. Any and all abortion should be completely illegal. Any who either receives it or facilitates it belongs in jail. Let people see the gruesome reality of what is sold as a "life choice". It is not a life choice, it is murder, plain and simple.
And in cases of children becoming pregnant due to being raped? Also murder? Would the rapist belong in jail only for the rape or also for facilitating murder by raping an under aged child? Should the man who facilitates an unwanted pregnancy by choosing not to wear a condom then also go to jail if he has no intent to raise a child?
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
13907 posts
1432 upvotes
Toronto
wirebound wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 1:29 pm
And in cases of children becoming pregnant due to being raped? Also murder? Would the rapist belong in jail only for the rape or also for facilitating murder by raping an under aged child? Should the man who facilitates an unwanted pregnancy by choosing not to wear a condom then also go to jail if he has no intent to raise a child?
No no you don't understand. Any conceivable opportunity to prevent babies is murder. Saving the mother's life instead of the child's is murder, miscarriages are murder, using birth control is murder, periods are murder, masturbation is murder, standing too close to a cell phone tower is murder, wearing underwear that's too tight is murder. If the answer is anything other than "this will result in a baby" then it's murder. It doesn't matter if it'll survive or not. Are you 5 and pregnant because you got raped? You're a murderer since giving birth will likely kill both you and the child.

This is what Poutinesauce wants: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lina_Medina
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3526 posts
982 upvotes
Toronto
Piro21 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 1:42 pm
No no you don't understand. Any conceivable opportunity to prevent babies is murder. Saving the mother's life instead of the child's is murder, miscarriages are murder, using birth control is murder, periods are murder, masturbation is murder, standing too close to a cell phone tower is murder, wearing underwear that's too tight is murder. If the answer is anything other than "this will result in a baby" then it's murder. It doesn't matter if it'll survive or not. Are you 5 and pregnant because you got raped? You're a murderer since giving birth will likely kill both you and the child.

This is what Poutinesauce wants: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lina_Medina
LOL I'm pretty sure you missed vaccinations :)
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2003
16114 posts
1677 upvotes
Langley
Poutinesauce wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 1:18 pm
There can certainly be a public debate, but showing gruesome pictures is just an appeal to emotion, not a rational argument based on morality / ethics.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7716 posts
2596 upvotes
Toronto
Would somebody think of the children!!!!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4069 posts
417 upvotes
Calgary
I think we should ban pooing, because pictures up the anus are also really disgusting.
I apologize to those who don't see humour or perspectives; who think aboriginals, whites, politicians, suicide bombers, aggressive policemen, aggrieved blacks, transsexuals, Alt-righters or any other is perfect. I apologize for all my sins and omissions
[OP]
Aug 17, 2009
448 posts
205 upvotes
On the substantive front, some of the posts here reflect that the pro/anti-abortion debate is not well understood or debated.

If having an abortion is to the medical benefit of the mother (i.e. life in danger, rape victim, etc.), then that is understandable. If one is having an abortion because they did not plan ahead or can't be bother to have a child, then I can see why some people would react differently.

Put differently, we are all here (literally, no exceptions) because our parents, or more accurately, because our mothers, decided to have us. It always amazes me that the personal opinion of one (or two) person(s) made the difference between us existing or not, today.

Does that make any sense?
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1005 posts
526 upvotes
Cough wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 3:49 pm
I think we should ban pooing, because pictures up the anus are also really disgusting.
SH!T happens.

Actually this post by @Cough unknowingly makes a valid point

What goes on with one's own body is a PRIVATE and a PERSONAL CHOICE.

Not necessarily fit for mass publication.

That is what we should uphold. The right for individuals to make choices for their own bodies.

Ya'll don't like abortion... Then CHOOSE not to have one!