Beauty & Wellness

Any chance that i can successfully get Private Health Insurance based on my situation?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2017 9:57 am
[OP]
Aug 12, 2016
141 posts
17 upvotes

Any chance that i can successfully get Private Health Insurance based on my situation?

I had been Diagnosed with depression and Aspergers Syndrome in the middle of 2016. Then in 2017 i developed a severe back problem which has badly incapacitated me physically and mentally for the last 7 months. The cost of prescriptions, counselling sessions, physiotherapy e.t.c. all began to add up. I never had any employment health insurance from any employer i ever worked with in the last 2 years. The only health insurance i ever had was from my University when i was a student and even then it was very meager.

So i finally decided to apply for the top most Private Health Insurance packages by Blue Cross and even made inquiries at Sun Life and West Life. I decided to first go with Blue Cross because they were the only organization that dealt with pre-existing conditions and also because they had the quickest processing time of 18-21 days compared to Sun Life and West Life who said it takes them 90 days to process an appliation.

I was extremely truthful about my problems with the Blue Cross people and unfortunately i got a rejection letter from them. According to an insurance advisor i contacted, i was told that because i got rejected by Blue Cross, my file is now screwed, it is being shared by the whole industry, on every application they will now ask "Have you ever been rejected by an Insurance company before?". Bottomline, she was like your chances of getting any form of Health insurance is completely non-existant now, you screwed up by applying individually on your own rather than going through an insurance advisor and that now even the top insurance advisors will not be able to do anything for you. She was like you will need to wait for another 4-5 years now before you can start applying for private health insurance.

I wanted to ask people i.e. Is there any other hope or means for me to get Health Insurance? Should i take the Insurance advisors feedback as gospel or should i keep applying for private health insurance. Will be grateful for any tips and advice.
2 replies
Oct 6, 2015
899 posts
436 upvotes
You should have health insurance through the province in which you live. What exactly are you hoping to achieve by having additional health insurance? Health insurance companies exist to earn a profit -- they cannot deliberately take on customers for which payouts will exceed premiums. It could be said that health insurance actually makes healthcare more expensive for most people.

All insurance companies will ask you about your health, and will price the premium according to your answers. Any sharing of information between insurance companies is simply to protect themselves from fraud.
[OP]
Aug 12, 2016
141 posts
17 upvotes
burnt69 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 11:19 pm
You should have health insurance through the province in which you live. What exactly are you hoping to achieve by having additional health insurance? Health insurance companies exist to earn a profit -- they cannot deliberately take on customers for which payouts will exceed premiums. It could be said that health insurance actually makes healthcare more expensive for most people.

All insurance companies will ask you about your health, and will price the premium according to your answers. Any sharing of information between insurance companies is simply to protect themselves from fraud.
OHIP doesn't cover things like Dental, Prescriptions, Chiropractor sessions, Physiotherapy, Counselling. The cost of these things is quite steep and being on a plan helps keeps these expenses in check. When i told my American friends and relatives that Blue Cross, Sun Life and West Life are offering their top most packages for $150-200 per month, their eyes went open because private health care is extremely expensive in the US and the number one headache for the US Citizen.