Tags:
[OP]
Jan 10, 2018
21 posts
2 upvotes

Any deals on GPS?

Hey guys!

Just joined RFD - my first post!
I am looking for a GPS but don't have much experience with them. What is a decent / deal price to pay for one such as a Garmin or TomTom? Any recommendations?

Cheers
13 replies
[OP]
Jan 10, 2018
21 posts
2 upvotes
Wow thanks looks good! Ideally under 100 would be perfect but i think i would be pushing my luck... i would want something good though which has US and Canada on
Apr 10, 2017
535 posts
188 upvotes
fatjaw wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 9:36 am
Hey guys!

I am looking for a GPS but don't have much experience with them. What is a decent / deal price to pay for one such as a Garmin or TomTom? Any recommendations?

Cheers
$0 with Google Maps in your Smartphone.

Turn on data for 10 secs to load latest traffic and shut data down when it loads your route.

At least that's how I do it when traveling in the US - I turn on my WiFi at stops.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1595 posts
236 upvotes
Definitely any Garmin with LMT. Have been using the 1350LMT since new and still works fine. Bought this from Costco.
Only thing needed was an extra microSD card as internal storage was only 2GB and not sufficient for the map updates.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4622 posts
2473 upvotes
Have a Garmin... really like it
Got it at Cdn Tire on Sale
(They have sales often)
Make sure you get lifetime maps so you can update
Our first Garmin 10 years ago did not have this feature

Like @Biscayne05 We also use Google Maps as a back up on trips...
double check suggestions (real time fastest route, current road conditions etc)
But use the Garmin to set for turn by turn directions
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2162 posts
1116 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
fatjaw wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 9:36 am
Hey guys!

Cheers
Make sure it has lifetime maps, otherwise you'll be paying for map updates (which are quite expensive). On Garmins, they're labeled LMT (lifetime maps and traffic).

I have bought a couple from Costco and recently bought one from there for a friend as well. Better product protection and the price was pretty good too. Sure, they don't have a lot of variety but I saved about $100 on the price for the same model at Best Buy etc.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28109 posts
3756 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I have a Garmin and my car has built in NAV, but I prefer to use my phone.

Google maps is just more accurate. On my Pixel, it downloads offline maps for an entire city before I get there.
[OP]
Jan 10, 2018
21 posts
2 upvotes
Thank you all! great responses, I will look into Garmin at Costco or CT
Cheers
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
12751 posts
5171 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ALLCAPS wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 2:25 am
Make sure it has lifetime maps, otherwise you'll be paying for map updates (which are quite expensive).
Even that is no guarantee. Make sure you understand whose "lifetime" they're actually referring to.

I bought a TomTom XL340TM (the TM means lifetime Traffic and Maps) back in 2010. I get quarterly e-mails from TomTom when new maps are available. Recently however these e-mails read:
Your subscription: Map of USA, Canada & Mexico
Start date: 22/10/2010
End date: 22/10/2020
So evidently "lifetime" means 10 years.

But actually it's not even that long. Recently they sent me an e-mail that says:
You and your sat nav sure have been places together. But tech moves fast, and as it’s been around a while, it can’t handle all our new-generation maps.

Here’s a dedicated offer to buy a Single Map Download so that you can drive with the most up-to-date map.
This is because apparently my GPS model doesn't have enough memory to store newer map sets. They go on to offer me a last map download for "only" $20 or the opportunity to buy a new GPS with a 20% discount. But that model is at least 50% more expensive than what I paid for my GPS. And worse, there's no mention of "lifetime" maps.

That said, I echo the recommendations of others upthread to use a smartphone with Google Maps. It's a far better solution than a dedicated GPS. For example rather than having to type a destination, if your trip is already in a Calendar appointment you can just tap on the address and Google will start you on your way there.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
12751 posts
5171 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Penrose wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 12:54 pm
I am a big fan of dedicated gps and I like to keep both tomtom and garmin machines. when I tire of one of them, I just switch them out. I am one of those people that you couldn't pay me to give up my dedicated gps for a phone app.
I'm not trying to switch you, but I'm curious why you prefer a dedicated GPS?
but people who use their phones for a car gps have a strong need to get everybody else to do the same for some weird reason.
That's a broad generalization. I post my preference for a smartphone GPS to suggest an alternative for consideration. And I also give reasons why, e.g. integration with Google calendar as well as why not, e.g. the need for a data connection that may not work or may be expensive outside Canada.
veni, vidi, Visa
Apr 23, 2014
855 posts
126 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
bylo wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 1:02 pm
I'm not trying to switch you, but I'm curious why you prefer a dedicated GPS?

That's a broad generalization. I post my preference for a smartphone GPS to suggest an alternative for consideration. And I also give reasons why, e.g. integration with Google calendar as well as why not, e.g. the need for a data connection that may not work or may be expensive outside Canada.
..it is my personal preference. I like a dedicated machine for this. I don't have anything more to say about it.
Jan 17, 2018
12 posts
5 upvotes
Honestly, I just use an old phone with google maps, and I think its way better. :)