• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2010 1:41 pm
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1954 upvotes
Elmira

Any Denison's sightings yet? (BEER)

Hey folks, just wondering since LCBO.ca doesn't seem to be listing it in their product search yet, has anybody spotted Denison's beer in the LCBO's yet?

Supposedly it was coming to stores as of last weekend.. I looked at the list of locations that are supposed to be carrying it and I visited the Meadowvale LCBO but its nowhere to be found as far as I can tell.

Just curious if anyones seen it yet.. looking to hopefully pick some up for this weekend!

cheers
51 replies
Apr 15, 2009
199 posts
6 upvotes
duckdown wrote: Hey folks, just wondering since LCBO.ca doesn't seem to be listing it in their product search yet, has anybody spotted Denison's beer in the LCBO's yet?

Supposedly it was coming to stores as of last weekend.. I looked at the list of locations that are supposed to be carrying it and I visited the Meadowvale LCBO but its nowhere to be found as far as I can tell.

Just curious if anyones seen it yet.. looking to hopefully pick some up for this weekend!

cheers
You and Me both!

I spoke with the beer guy at the Queen Quay location Wed might and he said probably another week.

He was also asking me if it really was "that good" b/c he was receiving constant inquiries.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1954 upvotes
Elmira
eh97ac wrote: You and Me both!

I spoke with the beer guy at the Queen Quay location Wed might and he said probably another week.

He was also asking me if it really was "that good" b/c he was receiving constant inquiries.
Ah, damn... Another week eh? Was hoping to get some for the fights tonight

Good to know he's receiving constant inquiries though -- if the beer is popular hopefully after some time even the smallest of LCBO's or local beer stores will be carrying it so I don't have to drive out of my way to a specific location

Thanks for the heads up!

cheers
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1954 upvotes
Elmira
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet, found some tonight in Oakville (Eighth Line and Upper Middle)

the denisons are the cans on the right

Just in time for the fights that are on early morning tonight live from Japan :D

I'll post my thoughts on these once I try em out!

cheers!
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1954 upvotes
Elmira
whoa this denison's stuff is kind of weird at first appearance. not like i expected at all

Why does it smell like wine?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9951 posts
2434 upvotes
Toronto
duckdown wrote: whoa this denison's stuff is kind of weird at first appearance. not like i expected at all

Why does it smell like wine?
Weird in a good way or bad? I was gonna pick some up for myself
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1954 upvotes
Elmira
OK, well, I managed to find the beer in Oakville at Upper Middle & Eighth Line, and I had 1 beer since I've bought it, but it was last night and wasn't completely chilled either...

This might sound crazy; but I'm wondering if my beer has kind of "turned" or something.. First of all, from the second I poured it and smelled it, I was kind of surprised and not really in a good way; for some reason the beer smells like WINE of all things. It doesn't have much of a beer scent, or citrus, or banana, or spice. It smells like *wine*..

I went onto ratebeer immediately to see what other people said about the beer and they describe a COMPLETELY different beer than what poured into my glass.. they all mention citrus, banana and spice (like most other weissbier's im used to... hacker-pscholl comes to mind) but mine actually smells like a white wine. It pretty much tastes like a wine too.. Not much of a beer flavor and definitely none of the fruit or spice.. almost like it turned a little rancid or something.. I'm so confused

I've only had one glass of it and it was last night and wasn't completely chilled/... so i'm going to give it another shot tonight... i am just very surprised so far...

is it possible my beer turned or bad or something? maybe it's been stored in improper conditions. the can says it hasn't been pasturized or anything like this... or maybe i'm just being crazy and my pallette/nose are playing tricks on me... but i really don't think this is it, because I usually am pretty good when it comes to beer tasting notes

thoughts? comments? concerns? flames?

fire away

cheers

I will report back tonight once I have another glass.
Apr 15, 2009
199 posts
6 upvotes
duckdown wrote: OK, well, I managed to find the beer in Oakville at Upper Middle & Eighth Line, and I had 1 beer since I've bought it, but it was last night and wasn't completely chilled either...

This might sound crazy; but I'm wondering if my beer has kind of "turned" or something.. First of all, from the second I poured it and smelled it, I was kind of surprised and not really in a good way; for some reason the beer smells like WINE of all things. It doesn't have much of a beer scent, or citrus, or banana, or spice. It smells like *wine*..

I went onto ratebeer immediately to see what other people said about the beer and they describe a COMPLETELY different beer than what poured into my glass.. they all mention citrus, banana and spice (like most other weissbier's im used to... hacker-pscholl comes to mind) but mine actually smells like a white wine. It pretty much tastes like a wine too.. Not much of a beer flavor and definitely none of the fruit or spice.. almost like it turned a little rancid or something.. I'm so confused

I've only had one glass of it and it was last night and wasn't completely chilled/... so i'm going to give it another shot tonight... i am just very surprised so far...

is it possible my beer turned or bad or something? maybe it's been stored in improper conditions. the can says it hasn't been pasturized or anything like this... or maybe i'm just being crazy and my pallette/nose are playing tricks on me... but i really don't think this is it, because I usually am pretty good when it comes to beer tasting notes

thoughts? comments? concerns? flames?

fire away

cheers

I will report back tonight once I have another glass.
Got 4 cans from LCBO at Islington and Queensway. Wow, not good!

I have the same wine smell and a dull taste. I will try again tonight once the cans have really cooled down.> :(
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1954 upvotes
Elmira
eh97ac wrote: Got 4 cans from LCBO at Islington and Queensway. Wow, not good!

I have the same wine smell and a dull taste. I will try again tonight once the cans have really cooled down.> :(

people are reporting the same thing on CH

i bought 8 cans of the stuff! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

what the hell is wrong with it? bad batch
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9951 posts
2434 upvotes
Toronto
eh97ac wrote: Got 4 cans from LCBO at Islington and Queensway. Wow, not good!

duckdown wrote: people are reporting the same thing on CH

i bought 8 cans of the stuff! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

what the hell is wrong with it? bad batch
Could be a bad batch as or maybe something went wrong in the processing plant when they canned the beer?

Maybe it was contaminated?

Maybe storage got too hot?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9951 posts
2434 upvotes
Toronto
duckdown wrote: i bought 8 cans of the stuff! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
bad batch
Can't you return it at the LCBO?
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1954 upvotes
Elmira
I don't have a receipt for it -- will that be a problem?

And can I only return it to the same LCBO that I bought it from?

I'm about to open another one in a few minutes but I'm not optomistic.

If it's no good I'm dumping it and drinking something else, and will return the rest
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2005
7629 posts
655 upvotes
Toronto
I have never heard of this beer until this thread!
I read some reviews and I am really impressed. Before I go out and guy some, I will wait for feedback from you guys about the "wine" taste?
Bad batch?
<no colour in signatures>
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2005
7629 posts
655 upvotes
Toronto
Some comments from TheBarTowel:

It's not on the "to start" list, but the Parkdale Brock St. LCBO had half a case when I stopped in about an hour ago.

And, on a another note - is it a heresy to say that I prefer the canned Muskoka Hefe to the canned Denison's? Denison's in the can seems a different beer than on tap... Will have to re-sample. Perhaps my tastebuds are off after an afternoon at the Slow Food Brick Works Picnic...

I picked some up there yesterday. I find it just about the most depressing LCBO on the planet.

I had one a few hours later with my girlfriend (she loves Denison's). Funnily enough, we both said it didn't taste like it tasted on tap and I commented that, other than the flatness, I preferred the Muskoka. There was just an off flavour in the canned version...and yeah. I think I need to re-sample as well.

Grabbed just three cans just to try the current batch, and from my Prinzregent Luitpold glass (the brewery from whioh the Denisons yeast came) this Hefe tastes just about right on. Notable citrus in this particular brewing!

Cheers
JK
<no colour in signatures>
Apr 15, 2009
199 posts
6 upvotes
4flava wrote: Could be a bad batch as or maybe something went wrong in the processing plant when they canned the beer?

Maybe it was contaminated?

Maybe storage got too hot?
I spoke with Michael Hancock (Owner) this morning about the taste some of us are experiencing. Michael is currently investigating as there are a few reports like ours coming in. He relayed that we are all drinking the same batch of beer. I checked around CH, ratemybeer and other sites....plenty of happy customers drinking out of cans.

I will be dropping off my remaining cans for him to sample for a full refund. The man stands behind his product. He is also going around and picking up the cans from the different LCBO locations that were mentioned in our thread to sample them too.

I'll keep the thread updated as to the end result.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9951 posts
2434 upvotes
Toronto
eh97ac wrote: I spoke with Michael Hancock (Owner) this morning about the taste some of us are experiencing. Michael is currently investigating as there are a few reports like ours coming in. He relayed that we are all drinking the same batch of beer. I checked around CH, ratemybeer and other sites....plenty of happy customers drinking out of cans.

I will be dropping off my remaining cans for him to sample for a full refund. The man stands behind his product. He is also going around and picking up the cans from the different LCBO locations that were mentioned in our thread to sample them too.

COOL!.. thanks alot!

I'll hold off on buying them for now.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1954 upvotes
Elmira
eh97ac wrote: I spoke with Michael Hancock (Owner) this morning about the taste some of us are experiencing. Michael is currently investigating as there are a few reports like ours coming in. He relayed that we are all drinking the same batch of beer. I checked around CH, ratemybeer and other sites....plenty of happy customers drinking out of cans.

Very cool! way to go

definitely keep us posted -- I've still got 7 cans here as well that I'm debating what to do with

cheers
Apr 15, 2009
199 posts
6 upvotes
duckdown wrote: Very cool! way to go

definitely keep us posted -- I've still got 7 cans here as well that I'm debating what to do with

cheers
LCBO will take them back.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)