Parenting & Family

Any doctors who give laughing gas for blood tests in Toronto?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2017 8:55 am
[OP]
Jun 27, 2017
1 posts

Any doctors who give laughing gas for blood tests in Toronto?

My daughter is extremely scared of blood tests, she hasn't gotten one in years and always avoids it. Nothing I have tried has worked, she just won't do it as it is a phobia and things like looking away does not work. She got laughing gas at the dentist's once and it worked, but many doctors around me do not give laughing gas for blood tests, they don't have it. I'm sure there are very good, understanding doctors who do give laughing gas for the blood test for people with extreme fears anywhere in Toronto or the GTA. I am hoping someone will know. Even a pediatric hospital like sickkids does not do it. Please help. Thank you.
7 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
13479 posts
3202 upvotes
Ottawa
I wasn't aware that they perform blood work at the doctor's office.
For toddlers, we are sent to CHEO.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1673 posts
69 upvotes
Mississauga
Suggestion - rather than trying to locate one solution (laughing gas) which appears to be unavailable for your issue (daughter afraid of blood tests), why not consult with the appropriate medical professionals to figure out what possible solutions are available for your problem and go from there?

Just saying that the places like the Hospital for Sick Children are experts at dealing with this type of stuff and administer procedures to children that are far more terrifying and/or painful than routine bloodwork. I'd speak to someone with the appropriate background/expertise and figure out a plan - as not dealing with this phobia now may make it worse as she gets older.

http://www.aboutkidshealth.ca/En/Health ... Ready.aspx
http://www.essentialkids.com.au/forums/ ... and-blood/
Jan 8, 2009
617 posts
267 upvotes
GTA
I've never heard of a doctor giving laughing gas for a blood test. What is the source of your daughter's phobia? The pain, the blood, tiny veins? Do you know? Also, how old is she? Definitely you should see your doctor or pediatrician and enlist their help in getting her bloodwork done IF it's needed. Our pediatrician only does bloodwork with kids when absolutely needed and we solved the pain with vaccination issues with EMLA patches. It's topical lidocaine which means the shot doesn't hurt. If she faints, they can always lay her down to start with.
Jun 27, 2017
1 posts
I have to admit, I have never heard of laughing gas, nitrous oxide being administered for something as routine as a blood test. They often use nitrous oxide in dentistry as a coping strategy in helping a patient with the pain and discomfort. The effect on a person's physiology is not a concern with Dentistry. Introducing a foreign element into your bloodstream such as inhaling nitrous oxide will change the composition of any blood drawn. I'm certain this could be compensated for (to some degree), but there may be interactions between the nitrous and other elements in a person's blood work. The risk of skewing any results would put your child's health at a far greater risk than their phobia.

I agree with the other commenters, this is probably not the best idea for dealing with your child's aversion to needles. If this is indeed a severe phobia rather than just the normal adolescent fear of needles, then in all honesty, a psychiatric professional (specializing in phobias) should be consulted.
I remember when I was around 10 years old, my doctor had to call in his assistant to hold down my arms because I was giving him such a hard time and did not want to be stuck with a needle. My dad was a doctor himself, and bluntly told me to suck it up. This came in handy later in my life when blood tests became a routine necessity.

I still hate needles and I do not like getting a shot or having blood drawn. But I have learned to cope with that fear because as a child my dad made it abundantly clear that fearing the needle is unacceptable. If I was administered nitrous oxide each time I needed to have blood work done, my life would be severely impacted. Laughing gas remains in your bloodstream well after being administered. Driving, working, conversing with other etc. would all be impacted.
(btw, not that I am condoning it or anything.. more than likely you already have something in your fridge that has laughing gas in it.... you could Google this, or ask any teenager on the street about whippets! But just to be clear, I am soooo not suggesting that you administer whippets to your child!! *no, don't do that!*)

-nick
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35962 posts
2073 upvotes
Toronto
Thats a bit extreme... maybe youre coddling your kid too much. I think every parent on this planet just lets them cry and scream while the doctor sticks the. Eedle in. Then deal with it after.

I mean... it really isn't cruel or inhumane to subject your kids to extremely routine medical test thathave a 0.0000001% risk of complications. Yeah theres bruising and pain... and maybe 1 in a trazillion xase where someome got some sort of reaction and died.

However it might be some pyschiatric matter. In that case, the kid needs a mental health doctor. A sign would be pro-longed stress and anxiety well after the needle. Like a serious feeling of trauma as if she was involved in a horrific accident. This stems from anxiety disorder.

Seek professional medical advice immediately!
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1673 posts
69 upvotes
Mississauga
I thought of this thread last week.. was at the local lifelabs and there was a young girl with autism ( not sure of age as she was behind the curtain) who was terrified of having her blood drawn. She was screaming and completely freaking out and all the staff were trying to help. I've never heard such blood curdling screams. It really was heart breaking to listen to. I felt for her, her mom who was trying to calm her down and the staff who were all there.
Dec 26, 2003
265 posts
8 upvotes
Mississauga
I have bee using this for my kids for blood test Lidocaine Cream Topical Local Anesthetics
Shoopers or pharmaplus carry this it comes in tube and patch .I buy the patch and apply 40 minutes before the blood work . They don't even feel the pinch Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes .
Every time they have a blood test the nurses take down the name what I applied I am surprised not many people are aware.