Parenting & Family

Any doctors who give laughing gas for blood tests in Toronto?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2017 11:45 am
Mar 9, 2012
851 posts
267 upvotes
KITCHENER
CosmicbOi wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 8:10 pm
Not sure this would help the issue described by the OP. The patch provides a numbing effect on a small target area of the skin. It's meant for pain relief from needles and poking and prodding by the doctors.
OP's child is described as being scared of blood tests (which might be in part due to the pain from the needle; who knows?). But they don't mention anything about 'pain' being a factor in their child's aversion to having blood drawn. It might be a psychological thing or (as they describe it) a phobia.
The Laughing Gas administered by dentists is used to alter the state of mind of their patient so as to help them cope with the pain and discomfort. I believe *this* is the solution being sought in the original post.
Perhaps a little bit of compressed "air" before the jab. No need to explain further, unsure if it's even legal. But it would at least take her mind off of it for the 10-15 it takes to poke, insert and start drawing.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29068 posts
994 upvotes
Fernando Po
jeff1970 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 6:30 am
Emla cream, IIRC. Not cheap ($15 for small tube, but DO NOT GO TO USA for this, some states require RX, otherwise it's about 5-10 times the cost).

Used it twice on my daughter....worked good.
That's what I do. Been terrified of having blood taken ever since some rookie tried taking my blood years ago at the hospital in Victoria. Recently went to a local clinic, no pain at all, a lot depends on the skill of the person taking the blood but the emla sure helps if they suck.
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” -HL Mencken