Home & Garden

Any dumpsters in a large region of southern Ontario?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2017 7:45 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 27, 2015
23 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON

Any dumpsters in a large region of southern Ontario?

I'm leaving my current place in GTA where the garbage truck only picks up black bags every two weeks. I have emptied my apartment and generated half a dozen black garbage bags.

One option is to go to the place where they weigh your garbage and charge you for taking your garbage. I don't want that.

Since I'll be driving around western GTA, Kitchener, Cambridge, Waterloo, Niagra falls area, there's gotta be some neighborhood where the garbage is picked up from a large dumpster. Can anyone tell me if there is one so I can put my garbage there? thanks.
27 replies
Nov 9, 2008
903 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto
So you want to illegally dump your garbage in another neighborhood dumpster?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4302 posts
330 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Are you suggesting that you place all of your garbage into someone elses dumpster? Just to point out, those are not free. Those places pay to have the garbage removed by dumpster.

Just take it to the dump since you are driving all over. It's probably only going to cost you $10 if you don't have much.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3152 posts
555 upvotes
London
So you don't want to pay for your garbage but it's okay for someone else to - that seems totally reasonable :rolleyes:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7460 posts
1577 upvotes
Brampton
If you sorted your garbage I know York region has recycling facilities that will take sorted trash for free.

Electronics
Wood
Rubble
Green waste
Paper
Metals
Chemicals like paints and used oil.
[OP]
Sep 27, 2015
23 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
I'm not asking to put it in dumpsters of other families or homes. Darn it. We have that system in US I fail to understand why is it so hard for to get it.

In US, a neighborhood sometimes has a giant dumpster in one corner of the street where all the neighbors put the garbage bags whenever they want. Once or twice a week a truck comes in and uses the lifting mechanism to unload the whole dumpster into the truck and off it goes. Hassle free. Automated. Less humans needed.

I'm just trying to find out if there is a neighborhood that has this kind of corner dumpster or back alley dumpster. It can't be that there is none. Industrial zones would definitely have them.

Am I such a horrible person to seek a giant dumpster where I can put my half a dozen or less black garbage bags? You guys need to take a chill pill.

P.S.: I don't have time to sort.
Mar 27, 2015
664 posts
161 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
You're trolling, right? We don't have any communal dumpsters here. What you are proposing (to dump in industrial areas, etc.) is illegal, and morally wrong because the companies have to pay to have those "back alley" dumpsters removed. You can't have that service for free.
Just call 1-800-gotjunk, pay the fee and be done with it.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
11912 posts
1798 upvotes
BuildingHomes wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 2:52 pm
Just take it to the dump since you are driving all over. It's probably only going to cost you $10 if you don't have much.
+1,
For example,
In Peel, it's $5 flat fee for up to 50kg at the dump​(for residents)

DO NOT dump into random industrial park dumpsters. Some have video surveillance. If they pull your plate, you'll get a call from the security company and possibly a ticket from a bylaw officer (my buddy was dumping worn tires)
[OP]
Sep 27, 2015
23 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
Ok I just found a pack of 5 garbage collection tags for my city in my stuff. It's bright green tags (Richmond Hill) and each one says "3 Item Limit".

If I tag each of my bags does that mean the truck will pick it up even if it's not a black garbage week?

Also what does 3 item limit mean? I have 5 tags and I would barely fit my garbage in 5 bags.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3346 posts
2560 upvotes
Toronto
uscanadaworker wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 5:37 pm
If I tag each of my bags does that mean the truck will pick it up even if it's not a black garbage week?
No. A truck that is picking up recycling isn't going to take your garbage ...

It's only $11 at a transfer station for dumping 100 kg (ie. 220 lbs).
Dec 4, 2009
69 posts
22 upvotes
Waterdown
Damn Americans, always looking to trash up the neighborhood...
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2544 posts
661 upvotes
Paris
uscanadaworker wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 4:31 pm
I'm not asking to put it in dumpsters of other families or homes. Darn it. We have that system in US I fail to understand why is it so hard for to get it.

In US, a neighborhood sometimes has a giant dumpster in one corner of the street where all the neighbors put the garbage bags whenever they want. Once or twice a week a truck comes in and uses the lifting mechanism to unload the whole dumpster into the truck and off it goes. Hassle free. Automated. Less humans needed.

I'm just trying to find out if there is a neighborhood that has this kind of corner dumpster or back alley dumpster. It can't be that there is none. Industrial zones would definitely have them.

Am I such a horrible person to seek a giant dumpster where I can put my half a dozen or less black garbage bags? You guys need to take a chill pill.

Serious trolling... the industrial zones are paid for by each company and they pay for pickup, sometimes by weight. I believe the fines for illegal dumping of this nature are $5k.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Dec 14, 2011
766 posts
213 upvotes
London
uscanadaworker wrote:

Am I such a horrible person to seek a giant dumpster where I can put my half a dozen or less black garbage bags?
Yes you are.
Aug 18, 2014
229 posts
103 upvotes
Markham, ON
uscanadaworker wrote:

Our company has a dumpster like you describe.
Except we pay about $800 per month for the "privilege".

We've had to deal with people like you all the times. Our dumpster is in a rather obvious area. There are always these scums (cough* u) that drive by and throw bunch of their garbage in there. We pay to empty the dumpsters 2x a week, and often the half the dumpster is filled with junks from thief like you. Worst, they often make a mess and there are garbage all around the dumpsters and we end up having to spend hours cleaning up.

Initially we just put up a sign saying no illegal dumping.
Then we installed a security camera, and even called cops on some of them with their license plate
Now we just lock the dumpster at the evening. It is kinda troublesome and annoying but there isn't much other choice.

in summary: Yes, you are a horrible person. What you are trying to do is no different than stealing.
Go to a transfer station and pay that $10-20 instead of being a thief.