• Nov 23rd, 2004 9:24 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 23, 2004
92 posts
Toronto

Any East Indians here ?

Just curious, how do East Indians cook their rice ? Do they use pots or use an electrical Rice Cooker ?

Thanks.
15 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1233 upvotes
Sauga
Electric rice cookers are not common in South Asian kitchens.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2001
6034 posts
43 upvotes
Ottawa
microwave. i sh!t you not.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2003
1096 posts
169 upvotes
Mississauga
Canada wrote:Just curious, how do East Indians cook their rice ? Do they use pots or use an electrical Rice Cooker ?

Thanks.
My mom - Pressure cooker
Me (when I was a bachelor) - Electric Rice Cooker
Wife - Pot on a stove
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3950 posts
126 upvotes
Markham
POT
My wifey hates to cook in the rice cooker. Got it- never used it!!!
(Dont ask me why).
Ciao ;)
Oct 30, 2003
270 posts
porphyra wrote:Wtf is East Indian, dude?

Its Indian.
Uh, there are East and West Indians ( migrated to the Carribean like 200 years ago ).
aeiou - y
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2004
4154 posts
128 upvotes
Mentos wrote:Uh, there are East and West Indians ( migrated to the Carribean like 200 years ago ).
I know what East and West Indians are. And of course, there are your Red Indians as well..It was a remark to the fact that we should stop using Archaic terms like such.

Indians are only from India.

I know a lot of people from the caribbean, and not one of them likes to be called a west Indian. You are Jamaican, Trinidadian (maybe Trini can shed some light) or Grenadian etc. You can then have Indian or African ancestry. But after 4-5 generations, it is not fair to still associate them as such.

BTW..For rice recipies, I had written a while back on Basmati rice. See this post
Oct 30, 2003
270 posts
porphyra wrote:I know what East and West Indians are. And of course, there are your Red Indians as well..It was a remark to the fact that we should stop using Archaic terms like such.

Indians are only from India.

I know a lot of people from the caribbean, and not one of them likes to be called a west Indian. You are Jamaican, Trinidadian (maybe Trini can shed some light) or Grenadian etc. You can then have Indian or African ancestry. But after 4-5 generations, it is not fair to still associate them as such.

BTW..For rice recipies, I had written a while back on Basmati rice. See this post

Well, you need to look at the cultural context for which this thread was created. Dude asked how East Indians ( ie. people from Southeastern Asia -> Includes India/SriLanka/etc ) cooked rice.

Like you mentioned, people from the Carribean are not necessarily Indian ( there's Whites/Blacks/Indians/Hispanics ), but there's still a "West Indian" culture there with a unique cuisine. It's not really synonymic to Carribean cuisine, nor is it limited to Trinidadian cuisine.

Sidenote: My father is from Trinidad, and always refers to the "West Indies" as the place he was born/rasied/worked/etc ( even in his memoirs ), so your point about what people don't like to be called is moot. ;)
aeiou - y
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
1308 posts
48 upvotes
we use to use pressure cooker...
but recently we got those steam pots
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2004
4154 posts
128 upvotes
Mentos wrote:Well, you need to look at the cultural context for which this thread was created. Dude asked how East Indians ( ie. people from Southeastern Asia -> Includes India/SriLanka/etc ) cooked rice.

Like you mentioned, people from the Carribean are not necessarily Indian ( there's Whites/Blacks/Indians/Hispanics ), but there's still a "West Indian" culture there with a unique cuisine. It's not really synonymic to Carribean cuisine, nor is it limited to Trinidadian cuisine.

Sidenote: My father is from Trinidad, and always refers to the "West Indies" as the place he was born/rasied/worked/etc ( even in his memoirs ), so your point about what people don't like to be called is moot. ;)
I guess the point you make is true, when looked at from a cultural context. Especially with the rice bit :)

True too about the "West Indian" culture/cuisine as well. However my point is that it has evolved to the point where it is unique and quite different from India as such. The name Indian here is quite redundant, and only is a legacy from the British terminology (against which there is a mass reversal in India; Bombay is Mumbai, Calcutta is Kolkata, etc.).

Similarly, we should also not forget the huge "Indian" populace in Africa. Kenya, Tanzania, and South Africa also had a huge Indian settlement. However, they too have developed their own unique custom/tradition. Goes for Malay-Indians, and those in other parts. This doesn't apply to Indians in USA and Canada, as the general immigrant community is much younger (generation-wise).

About you dad referring calling himself "West Indian", then I guess it may be more of a current generation thing. Albeit, I must say, cricket still has a team called "West Indies". But then, Cricket is also a British game... :D

Oh..and sorry about the ramblings in the rice column. My advice is ...google search it. Try it a few times yourself. You will soon find what suits you best. You don't need a rice cooker. Its convenient if you have one. But certainly, its more of a personal preference, especially when to comes to the addition of water. For Basmati, my recommendation is:

1 3/4 cups of water for every 1 cup of Basmati rice..

and since that is the only rice I eat, cannot give you any other recommendations.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2004
4154 posts
128 upvotes
the watcher wrote:we use to use pressure cooker...
but recently we got those steam pots
How do you use a pressure cooker? I always fear that I will end up making a paste of my rice.

I guess it could be used for Biryani, but never tried for plain rice. Does it save much time?
Oct 30, 2003
270 posts
porphyra wrote:About you dad referring calling himself "West Indian", then I guess it may be more of a current generation thing.
Yea, that definitely may be it, since he's a senior.
aeiou - y