Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2010
2372 posts
395 upvotes
Thunder Bay

Any experience with Monoprice TV Wall-Mounts

I'm in the process of rennovating my basement, and I'd like to get a full-motion Wall-mount for my 50" Panasonic Plasma TV. I've attached a rough layout of the room below (not really to scale at all)

The room itself is about 11' wide by over 20' long, The option is get a corner TV stand, or wall-mount with a full-motion TV stand so it can be pulled out and directed towards any angle for multiple viewers. The walls are all open, so I'll be adding extra studs/supports in the area so that there's plenty of wood to screw the mount into.

i was looking into something like this: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=1 ... 1&format=2

My real question is, has anybody bought one of the Monoprice mounts? Are they any good? Is a TV mount markup really that much? or do you actually get what you pay for. Looking at places like Best Buy or Future Shop, they want close to $300 for a seemingly decent one. They review quite well, and even the cheap looking ones on Amazon for $50 have great reveiws. I just hesitate to put my faith in a cheap hunk of aluminum to support a big $700 TV.

Any response or experience is quite appreciated.

[IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/bdnr00.png[/IMG]
3 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
I have several Monoprice wall mounts and also a nice Sanus mount from Futureshop; the difference is in the fit and finish. The Monoprice mounts are well built but basic - everything is exposed. With the particular Sanus mount I bought, you can tell more time and effort went into the engineering of the product.

If it is a fixed mount, it probably won't matter, but if it is a swing mount where the back of the mount maybe exposed, you might want to consider a nicer one.

Saying this ... the price difference is like 4 - 5x - both functionally will do the same thing, you're really only paying for ease of installation, look, fit and finish.

Check Costco too - their mounts look decent and priced competitively (for retail store). Also check InfiniteCables in Markham, CablesOnSale, and 123InkCartridges.ca. These Canadian Sellers should save you on shipping/import charges.
amace wrote: I just hesitate to put my faith in a cheap hunk of aluminum to support a big $700 TV.
No need to worry about this part... even the most basic Monoprice mount will hold many times the weight of the TV :D Just make sure you hit your studs when mounting the bracket...
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2010
2372 posts
395 upvotes
Thunder Bay
coolspot wrote: I have several Monoprice wall mounts and also a nice Sanus mount from Futureshop; there is a difference in quality. The Monoprice mounts are well built but basic - everything is exposed. With the Sonos mount, you can tell more time and effort went into the engineering of the product.

If it is a fixed mount, it probably won't matter, but if it is a swing mount where the back of the mount maybe exposed, you might want to consider a nicer one.

Saying this ... the price difference is like 15x - both functionally will do the same thing, you're really only paying for the look of the mount.

Check Costco too - their mounts look decent and priced competitively (for retail store). Also check InfiniteCables in Markham, CablesOnSale, and 123InkCartridges.ca. These Canadian Sellers should save you on shipping/import charges.
When you say everything is exposed, you mean the wires?

I was looking at the Sanos, it was on sale for $150 at Future Shop for Boxing week for the medium sized one (I believe it was 37" - 70"). Since it will be located in a corner, It shouldn't be super visible, and I suppose at $45, I can always upgrade in the future if that becomes my priority (Rennovating a huge budget, so any way I can save money is great).

My main priority is that they are strong.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
amace wrote: When you say everything is exposed, you mean the wires?
Yes, the one I bought at Futureshop was ultra slim, wire management, post-installation centering, and the full motion mechanism was hidden behind a plate (Sanus VLF311-B3): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekho45JRk5o

amace wrote: I suppose at $45, I can always upgrade in the future if that becomes my priority (Rennovating a huge budget, so any way I can save money is great).

My main priority is that they are strong.
No worries there, just buy a mount with an appropriate weight rating and ensure you have wooden studs being the drywall.

I have been using a Monoprice single arm swing mount in my bedroom for the last 3 years; my recommendation would be to get a dual-swing arm mount. The single arm is strong enough, but with dual arms, it movement is less "bouncy" / springy and more confident feeling.

Like this one: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=1 ... 1&format=2

However, check the swing reach/angle as these ones will have less of a turning radius than your single arm model.

[IMG]http://images.monoprice.com/productlarg ... /59201.jpg[/IMG]

Lastly, I supplied my own bolts - If I recall correctly, I think sometimes the bolts Monoprice supplies may snap, so I bought a "quality" set of lag bolts at Home Depot.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)