Travel

Any family all inclusive resort suggestions instead of a cruise ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 4:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3367 posts
607 upvotes

Any family all inclusive resort suggestions instead of a cruise ?

I would prefer a cruise but the wave season cruise sales so far seems to be a dud and overpriced. I was previously on the NCL Getaway and the RCCL Harmony of the seas so I don't want to go on any ships smaller than that.

Any all inclusive resorts for around $ 3000 - 4000 ? I wouldn't even know how or where to look as I've only been on cruises and it doesn't matter where. I'm expecting the food, entertainment, kids play things to be similar to a cruise ?

Avail to travel first two weeks in Nov or Dec 2019. Family of 4.

Thanks.

Thanks
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
8608 posts
6026 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
First 2 weeks of December are traditionally one of the cheapest times to book a cruise.
Just after Hurricane Season, but BEFORE the Christmas Holiday Season / Rush.

I’d keep looking
And if you have not already ... sign up for all the cruise website newsletters etc

Wave Season is just getting started
There will be bigger discounts & Bonus Promos as it wears on into February

So stay plugged in...

IMO, hard to be the value of a good cruise to an AI
In terms of quality of the experience for money spent
Dec 20, 2018
888 posts
759 upvotes
tkl wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 3:15 pm
I would prefer a cruise but the wave season cruise sales so far seems to be a dud and overpriced. I was previously on the NCL Getaway and the RCCL Harmony of the seas so I don't want to go on any ships smaller than that.

Any all inclusive resorts for around $ 3000 - 4000 ? I wouldn't even know how or where to look as I've only been on cruises and it doesn't matter where. I'm expecting the food, entertainment, kids play things to be similar to a cruise ?

Avail to travel first two weeks in Nov or Dec 2019. Family of 4.

Thanks.

Thanks
Check out Aruba. But resorts don't generally have as robust of kids programs or entertainment as cruise but not like cruise entertainment/shows are great. Both resorts and cruise shows can kill time. But resorts/AI generally include internet and alcohol and better free food than on cruises you mentioned and beaches of course and less crowded than the giant ships

If not for the safety concerns in Mexico, I would suggest it but even the tourist area is a bit iffy for me
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4866 posts
456 upvotes
Victoria
The tough part is the entertainment side of things. Most resorts put on pretty cheesy shows that are way below the standard of a cruise ship. However, some have several venues with live bands but I guess with kids that might not be their thing. I would suggest a 5* in the Dominican Republic personally. The Puerto Plata area has no sargassum and the main AI area is the costa dorada complex which is kind of a self contained complex with a bunch of resorts and has a mall in the middle (small). It's pretty safe and there's lots of things to go and see.

Another good alternative is the riviera maya. Something like the Bahia Principe or some other mega resort complex. If you go AI make sure to pick a resort that has unlimited ala carte restaurants.
Not a political sig
May 3, 2004
15 posts
8 upvotes
Calgary
Our family has travelled a lot with our kids and they are now all adults with spouses. If you keep an eye out for deals, you can always find a good deal at resorts. We’ve done resorts in Cuba, Mayan Rivierea, Jamaica , etc . We took our kids when under the age of 10 to the Bahia Principae Resorts in the Mayan . They loved it. We really like the Grand Pallidium Resorts in the Mayan and especially the one in Jamaica when they were high school age. We have done a short cruise from LA to Mexico when they were young, but haven’t taken them on a week cruise. Cruises often have tours that are fun like swimming with sting rays in the caymans, but good tours often cost about $100 a tour per person. Count 5 people at that price and it adds up fast . No fun just hanging around the ship or just shopping at the flea markets at every stop for kids. But our very best resort holiday is the Hotel X-Caret in the Mayan last year with 8 of us as adults!
8 eco parks as part of your resort activities , caves with dining , paddle boarding, private beaches & amazing food. You don’t even use a room key - a wrist band gets you into your rooms, flash it on the rope bridges st photo stops & photos taken which you can check out on your room tv. You can take in free shows at the huge eco parks just flashing your special bracelet! We went to a fantastic evening show which we paid $100 each years ago but staying here, we took our whole family free. They have cenote underground water slides , spa mud slides in cenote, zip lining, etc . Awesome place and I would go back in a minute since we only took in 3 eco parks out of 8. If you get the chance - you gotta try this resort !
Sep 26, 2015
21 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
wishbones wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 9:07 pm
Our family has travelled a lot with our kids and they are now all adults with spouses. If you keep an eye out for deals, you can always find a good deal at resorts. We’ve done resorts in Cuba, Mayan Rivierea, Jamaica , etc . We took our kids when under the age of 10 to the Bahia Principae Resorts in the Mayan . They loved it. We really like the Grand Pallidium Resorts in the Mayan and especially the one in Jamaica when they were high school age. We have done a short cruise from LA to Mexico when they were young, but haven’t taken them on a week cruise. Cruises often have tours that are fun like swimming with sting rays in the caymans, but good tours often cost about $100 a tour per person. Count 5 people at that price and it adds up fast . No fun just hanging around the ship or just shopping at the flea markets at every stop for kids. But our very best resort holiday is the Hotel X-Caret in the Mayan last year with 8 of us as adults!
8 eco parks as part of your resort activities , caves with dining , paddle boarding, private beaches & amazing food. You don’t even use a room key - a wrist band gets you into your rooms, flash it on the rope bridges st photo stops & photos taken which you can check out on your room tv. You can take in free shows at the huge eco parks just flashing your special bracelet! We went to a fantastic evening show which we paid $100 each years ago but staying here, we took our whole family free. They have cenote underground water slides , spa mud slides in cenote, zip lining, etc . Awesome place and I would go back in a minute since we only took in 3 eco parks out of 8. If you get the chance - you gotta try this resort !
I would totally agree with this .. its true value for money with all the parks and transportation included for hotel guests. The resort is beautiful and the food is awesome. If you choose mexico I would highly recommend this one and the service is top class!
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2029 posts
1139 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
There are a few resorts imho that have similar bells and whistles of a cruise (good food, quality entertainment, water parks & excellent children’s programs):

- Beaches Resorts
- Hard Rock Resorts
- Palace Resorts
- Karisma Resorts

Runner ups:
- Paradisus Resorts (*mexican locations specifically)
- Royalton Resorts (mexico/ Jamaica/ St Lucia/ Antigua/ DR)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27368 posts
13317 upvotes
Ottawa
We went to Punta Cana last year and it was a blast.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3367 posts
607 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 5:36 pm
First 2 weeks of December are traditionally one of the cheapest times to book a cruise.
Just after Hurricane Season, but BEFORE the Christmas Holiday Season / Rush.

I’d keep looking
And if you have not already ... sign up for all the cruise website newsletters etc

Wave Season is just getting started
There will be bigger discounts & Bonus Promos as it wears on into February

So stay plugged in...

IMO, hard to be the value of a good cruise to an AI
In terms of quality of the experience for money spent
I usually choose a cruise at that time for that reason. A Cruise that selected two days ago jumped $ 1200.00 in two days with the same sale just as I was about to book it
!

Thanked those who replied for all the resort suggestions. I will look into that as well since I only know cruises.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.