• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2011 10:11 am
Jun 5, 2010
334 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto

Any fast food combos still under $5 ?

Obviously things go up over time.

McDonalds used to have their daily meal at $3.99, then switched it to their value menu (which still had a few options for meals). Now it's only individual pieces.

Wendy's went up as well.

Burger King seems to have gone up a bit, but after tax their daily meal is $5.07 (in Toronto).

KFC used to be my last refuge, with the Value Box Meals, but they've now also gone to $4.99 + tax.

Yes, still cheap. But the $5.00 barrier is an important one to me when it comes to lunch.

Anyone know of any fast food chains still offering under $5.00 meals (after tax)?

On a positive note, I now go to McDonalds and get just two small sandwich and small drink for $4.71.
15 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
Funny I was thinking of adding a "fast food deals thread" this morning...more oriented around limited time specials like the Quizno's Black Angus deal, or the coupons that got sent out in January, many of which (McDonalds, Quizno's etc) expired on Feb 6.

I think Harveys direct mail coupons end on the Feb 27
And I think I got some similar ones from Extreme pita as well.

Sucks that when just about every fast food place has deals for January, Wendy's merely dropped the $3.99 specials from the menu.
But in a way I'm kind of grateful. I've actually lost about 10lbs since the holidays and not indulging in Wendy's Jr combos several times a week has played a big part in that.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6698 posts
512 upvotes
Toronto
1 Items from Value Menu from McD's - $1.39x2 (Sausage McMuffin, McDouble, McChicken)
Large Coffee - $1.60ish
Muffin - $0.10 with coffee

Total comes out to be $5, if you like coffee you can get a really good amount of food for $5.

If you take the $5 including tax to $5 plus tax then you can have a footlong sub, or a six inch + drink, or the taco bell $5 box meal. Many places also will do a $5 medium pizza (Ginos, Pizza Pizza, few others).

Another good one is Tim Hortons you can have two cream cheese bagels for $3.80ish then get a coffee or pop if You'd like. Only $2.00 to get two with butter.

I'm a master of value for lots of food as I eat out such a ridiculous amount of times per week, and usually try to stick to somewhat of a budget.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
5977 posts
1160 upvotes
Scarborough
matdwyer wrote:
Feb 10th, 2011 12:59 pm
1 Items from Value Menu from McD's - $1.39x2 (Sausage McMuffin, McDouble, McChicken)
Large Coffee - $1.60ish
Muffin - $0.10 with coffee

Total comes out to be $5, if you like coffee you can get a really good amount of food for $5.

If you take the $5 including tax to $5 plus tax then you can have a footlong sub, or a six inch + drink, or the taco bell $5 box meal. Many places also will do a $5 medium pizza (Ginos, Pizza Pizza, few others).

Another good one is Tim Hortons you can have two cream cheese bagels for $3.80ish then get a coffee or pop if You'd like. Only $2.00 to get two with butter.

I'm a master of value for lots of food as I eat out such a ridiculous amount of times per week, and usually try to stick to somewhat of a budget.
I didn't know about the $0.10 muffin with coffee deal. Do you know if they offer the same deal if you get tea instead of coffee?
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17604 posts
737 upvotes
Brampton
I just heard a Harvey's AD on 680 News about a "Combo Combo"

It's 2 combo's for $9.99
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6698 posts
512 upvotes
Toronto
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2011 1:43 pm
I didn't know about the $0.10 muffin with coffee deal. Do you know if they offer the same deal if you get tea instead of coffee?
I'm not 100% sure but if they are the same price then probably. It is supposed to be like a small coffee & muffin for $1.39 or something, but it works when you get the large to be about $1.70 for a large (which is XL at timmies) plus a muffin (so for the same price as a coffee at timmies you get a coffee + a muffin!)
duckdown wrote:
Feb 10th, 2011 1:46 pm
I just heard a Harvey's AD on 680 News about a "Combo Combo"

It's 2 combo's for $9.99

Yup this is advertised in front of Harveys everywhere now, they also have coupons out in the mail that bring the price down a bit.
Mar 21, 2008
270 posts
21 upvotes
Calgary
There really arent any every day fast food delas which are $5.00 or less. I think that this is rediculous! Wendy's can certainly afford to still have thier $3.99 value combos, so can McDonald's. Things are pretty pricey these days.

Probably the BEST lunch/dinner fast food deal out there is Tim Horton's Soup Combo, for years now it remains at $3.99 + taxes for your choice of soup, roll, your choice of donut, and a medium coffee/tea or canned pop. If you want a bagel insted of a donut its $4.29 + taxes. This is definitley not a whole lot of food but for most people it is plenty.

With McDonalds you can have 2 of Junior Chicken/Bacon Cheeseburger/McDouble + small coffee & muffin for $4.38 including taxes.

Wendy's value menu sucks big time with all items at $1.89 + taxes. In December 2010 you could go to Wendy's and have a Junior Bacon Cheeseburger Combo (value fries/value drink) for $4.19 (taxes included). Now the same food costs nearly $6.00 ! And dont forget that prior to February 2009, the $3.99 value combos at Wendy's gave you a regular size drink and your choice of a regular size side dish.

What really pisses me off is KFC Toonie Tuesday! First it was $2.00, then $2.22, then $2.49, then $2.69 and now its $2.79 + taxes! For a smaller-than-normal regular fries and two measly pieces of chicken. With a drink including taxes it comes to $4.91, but it is a rediciously small ammount of food.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2008
2551 posts
144 upvotes
Burger King Daily Deals. Depending on location, it's usually $4.29 or $4.49 + tax.
Monday - Big King
Tuesday - Chicken Sandwich
Wednesday - Whopper
Thursday - Spicy Chicken
Friday - BK Fish
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
2255 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
$3.99 combos used to be everywhere in Ontario since it qualifies for the "< $4" PST rebate. It seems like restaurants don't care about this anymore.

For crappy foods, anything above $4 is overpriced!
Deal Addict
May 29, 2005
3843 posts
78 upvotes
Hamilton
I wish there was a BK near me....grrrrr> :(

i wanna know why the A&W near me does NOT have the 2 for 1 mamma burger deal. its been advertised for weeks! instead they have the stupid mozza burger combo for $6- I HATE mozza burgers. :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4684 posts
435 upvotes
Toronto
I used to get the KFC Value Boxed Meal when I had long work shifts which was good for the price but they've removed it a little while back.
Aug 9, 2006
78 posts
Toronto, Scarborough
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2011 1:43 pm

yes, it works with any sized tea as well!
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
3704 posts
247 upvotes
icemasta wrote:
Feb 10th, 2011 11:25 pm
I used to get the KFC Value Boxed Meal when I had long work shifts which was good for the price but they've removed it a little while back.

It was a very good deal IMO, but now they reintroduced but at $4.99 (still not bad IMO).

Pizza Nova has slice w chips & pop for under $5 with tax. KFC Twoonie Tuesday w pop is under $4 before tax at my local KFC. Taco Bell Beefy 5 Layer Burrito combo is $3.99 + tax.

I think a McDouble w small fries & pop is under $5 with tax. Burger King King Deals combos are about $5 with tax.
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2009
4999 posts
526 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Ho Ho BBQ at 3833 Midland Av., Toronto always has a huge $5 special http://www.flickr.com/photos/sifu_renka ... 029266286/

Chick 'N Joy has a 2 pc with fries special at $2.50, Mon-Wed. Their locations seem to be east on K.R., at Morningside, White's Rd., and somewhere in Whitby.

The Tim Horton's Chili special is filling, and good fuel at $3.99, with a roll and butter.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7271 posts
659 upvotes
Toronto
pipolchap wrote:
Feb 10th, 2011 3:11 pm
$3.99 combos used to be everywhere in Ontario since it qualifies for the "< $4" PST rebate. It seems like restaurants don't care about this anymore.

For crappy foods, anything above $4 is overpriced!

I bought two Whoppers on wednesday from Burger King for $1.99 each... I was thinking at $3.98 I would be under the $4 limit and I wouldn't be charged any tax at all. But the bill still came out to 4.18 because I was charged 5% HST.

The $4 limit becomes meaningless with the HST added.
× < >