Home & Garden

Any first hand experience with PAC Air kitchen range hood?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2018 8:10 am
Tags:
None
Oct 2, 2007
199 posts
51 upvotes
Mississauga

Any first hand experience with PAC Air kitchen range hood?

Anyone tried the PAC Air hood? Looking at the Sakura U2 but this PAC air has got my attention as I like the swing up tempered glass front deflector and undo a couple of thumbscrews and you can clean the inside easily also the fans can be dumped into the dishwasher... Just want some reviews. Thanks!
8 replies
Oct 2, 2007
199 posts
51 upvotes
Mississauga
Well I guess I will share what I know...

websites: http://www.pacairusa.com/mainRHFeatures.php
vs http://www.sakura-canada.com/SakuraProduct1.html

I am in the GTA and sakura is well represented by multiple stores. I thought Pac Air was online order only till a Google websearch brought me to: http://www.superteambuy.com/en/generals ... chen-fans#
This Mississauga store is very easy to miss as it is nestled in a "drive-thru" area of this oriental mall opposite the Owl of Minerva restaurant.

This PacAir's claim to fame is the slanted fan which supposedly covers a North American style cooktop. The higher end Sakura stick out more and moves the fans forward to cover more area and adds some slots towards the back.
The lady who showed me the PacAir undid two thumbscrews and was able to drop the bottom out for cleaning, then she unscrewed a nut and the fan blade dropped out which allows you to place it in a dishwasher. The higher end model also has LED lights vs a CFL on the Sakura U2M.
I am replacing my parents old almond colour U2 which still works but is super greasy inside and they are in the midst of a kitchen redo so stainless steel is in! The question is older and proven or newer but no one vouching for it. We will still have cupboards above it so no funky ultra modern hood.
Oct 7, 2011
3 posts
VANCOUVER
I had been shopping around for a range hood for Asian cooking. I looked at the latest TruSteam model by Pacific which is rated up to 1000 cfm. However, the water inlet for generating steam infringes with the depth of my cabinet. I will need modification during installation to make it works. It claims it can clean thoroughly by steam which I have my doubt. Then I saw this PacAir model with parts that can be easily removed for cleaning in dishwasher.

So I bought a 5th generation PacAir RL-30 white range hood from a Burnaby Store (Canada) on April 29, 2013. It is rated at 960 cfm. The unit is quite heavy and need two persons to hold while the third person screwing to the underside of the cabinet. Wish they can make provision for more electrical inlet locations to facilitate installation.

Tested out yesterday and the suction is just marginally better than the old Pacific range hood model CR-9330 that I had.

Overall I am impressed with it so far. Will report in due course after a few months of usage to see if it can live up to its claim.
Aug 4, 2014
197 posts
62 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Need to replace our western 300 cfm range hood which does a terrible job of venting out smoke and odor. Looking to get the PacAir EL model 30” width. It is 960 cfm, slanted fan. Anyone have this same model or other PacAir Sirn 960 cfm and can comment on the effectiveness. Will be stir frying, deep frying and other pan searing meats. Thanks!
Sep 3, 2010
334 posts
402 upvotes
wow sirkdub, i'm in the same boat. Been looking at options too..I literally just went to see Pacair store at crystal mall today ! I like how it's easily disassembled and cleaned from under body panel, fan, oil drain, to oil catch. I also like the mechanical old fashioned switch rather than touch panel. From my research, the CFM is pretty much restricted by the duct size. So the 960 CFM is probably actually around 700CFM. But this is the same for all asian brands such as pacific, pacair, sakura. There are North America brands that seem to have better CFM output. One particular brand that brought my attention is xtreme air rangehood. However, they seem mostly do 8" duct and i think only way to get it is from wayfair.ca, which means gota do DIY install. FYI I have relative that has pacific truesteam version (or selfclean). They still hire professional to take apart the under panel to clean every year and can see all the grease build up in all under panel. that's why i really appreciate Pacair's way of DIY cleaning. Just too bad i don't know anyone who owns one. Anyway, still doing research...let me know if you have more info too!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I had a PacAir for 8 years and it is a great unit. But I have since switched to a Vent A Hood

Higher CFM is not the solution. If you have a tight home, a higher CFM range hood is detrimental to your house if you can not replace the air exhausted. If your range hood is not positioned properly, it will not capture the grease and oil.

Take a look at the Vent A Hood, mine is a 650 CFM and it does a better job than the PacAir at 900 CFM. It is also easier to clean. Hard to believe, but true.
Sep 3, 2010
334 posts
402 upvotes
Problem is that I live in apartment. Standard 6” duct and I don’t think vent a hoot has much 6” option. Most people don’t recommend downsize size of duct. Where did you get your vent-a-hood? Was installation included or did you install yourself or find your own installer ?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I purchased it at Tasco and installed it myself. The duct is 8”and my existing duct was 6”

The install is easy, especially if you already have an existing hood.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)