• Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2019 6:07 pm
[OP]
Jun 4, 2013
110 posts
73 upvotes
Vancouver

Any good deals for cell phone providers

So I guess my 2 year contract is almost up with Bell since they sent the following text message
Bell msg: Upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy S10 on Canada's best national network and get a $100 bill credit. With Bell SmartPay, get it for $0 down, 0% APR on eligible 2-yr. plans with no data overage charges. Taxes & fees apply at time of purchase. Visit a Bell store or The Source by Nov 17. Bill credit may take up to 3 billing periods. See bell.ca/newdevice to learn more. ( bell.ca/messagesettings )

I am not really sure what they mean with their Smartpay and the $100 credit. A new phone is great but I am looking to reduce my bill. Currently paying $85 plus tax for 10GB per month and unlimited Canada wide calling.

I hardly use over 2GB of data and talk about 30mins a month.

When looking at other provides it seems I can get something a lot cheaper without a phone but when I add a phone in the cost really goes up. I was thinking of getting the p30 lite. Going to shop around for a bit but does anyone know any good deals going on? Not really wanting to get a phone without a headphone jack unless I have no choice.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
3127 posts
1482 upvotes
Mississauga
Wait for black friday
I love RFD! :)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26045 posts
11491 upvotes
sponge5307 wrote: Any good deals for cell phone providers
Oh wait. You were serious. Let me laugh even harder.
Oct 17, 2010
607 posts
288 upvotes
Vancouver
If you don't really need a new phone and you barely push over 2gb of data might want to look at public mobile or lucky for a much much cheaper plan then what you're paying right now
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17868 posts
1852 upvotes
Woodbridge
Koodo is probably your bet.

Try to hold off until Black Friday.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3670 posts
1892 upvotes
Gotham
My metric is cost per gigabyte of data. I consider talk and text to be free. You are paying $98 including taxes - that is $49 per gigabyte. Astonished Face

If you don't use more data it is a waste. A lesser plan could save you $800 per year. I had a similar priced plan with Telus years ago. I changed to a prepaid provider (Speakout). I now use several foreign providers with a VoIP number.

My monthly cost is between $10 and $20 per month depending on how much data I use. It costs me $3 to $5 per gigabyte of data.

If you want a free phone from the provider every two years, the monthly charge is how they recoup the cost of the phone. Nothing is really free.

I found the cheaper way was to buy a phone (not from the carrier) and find the cheapest plan to suit my needs. I bought a Samsung S9 last year for $1000 (including tax). If I calculate the cost of the phone and my usage over 24 months, it costs me about $60 per month.
[OP]
Jun 4, 2013
110 posts
73 upvotes
Vancouver
So I ported my number to fido last night (Due to the the fact Bell CSR was very very rude basically wouldn't even give me an offer if I just want to go BYOD) Change to Fido 4GB for $55. Today I got a call from Bell saying they are able to ffer me 10GB and unlimited Canada calling for $60 plus tax. Should I take that offer?
Oct 18, 2013
525 posts
100 upvotes
Oshawa
Why would you take that offer when you don’t even use 2GB/month? Not sure why you want to pay more if you hardly talk and use such little data?
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1578 posts
795 upvotes
Like what @GeneP66 said why would you even consider a high cell plan when you barely break 2GB mark.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2013
1563 posts
672 upvotes
Markham
sponge5307 wrote: So I ported my number to fido last night (Due to the the fact Bell CSR was very very rude basically wouldn't even give me an offer if I just want to go BYOD) Change to Fido 4GB for $55. Today I got a call from Bell saying they are able to ffer me 10GB and unlimited Canada calling for $60 plus tax. Should I take that offer?
I don't know why you're asking us this question when you yourself said you don't use over 2gb a month.

Check Public Mobile out as they are part of Telus, my parents are using them and they have no issues with them whatsoever.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans

$25 1gb
$35 1.5gb
Images
  • Screenshot_20191107-180417.png
  • Screenshot_20191107-180435.png
cd ~/cloudbox