Shopping Discussion

Any good deals on a good Home Theatre in a Box?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2004 12:09 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 20, 2004
2 posts

Any good deals on a good Home Theatre in a Box?

I am looking for a solid 5.1 Home Theatre system (DVD player included). Any good BD sales for this sort of thing?

Thanks
12 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2002
1438 posts
582 upvotes
Mississauga
Amagiri wrote:I am looking for a solid 5.1 Home Theatre system (DVD player included). Any good BD sales for this sort of thing?

Thanks
there will a sony one on sale for $299 at one of the larger electronics retailers where people like to shop.

regular $499.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2001
1020 posts
58 upvotes
dgr81 wrote:there will a sony one on sale for $299 at one of the larger electronics retailers where people like to shop.

regular $499.

Do you mean it's that store that people like to shop at in the future? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
8890 posts
1441 upvotes
Montreal
adwoodw wrote:Do you mean it's that store that people like to shop at in the future? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes he means London Drugs ;) ;) ;)
[OP]
Dec 20, 2004
2 posts
That was exactly the info that I was looking for! Guess it's time to watch a little Micheal J Fox movie....Back to the Future!

Cheers
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2002
1438 posts
582 upvotes
Mississauga
adwoodw wrote:Do you mean it's that store that people like to shop at in the future? :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2001
4187 posts
172 upvotes
Calgary
Best buy had a crappy one for $79 in the <gulp>flyer</gulp>
Sep 26, 2004
722 posts
3 upvotes
Upper north!
why would want to get the crappy package of DVD and speakers... they play like SH*T
Jul 10, 2003
637 posts
49 upvotes
honestly it's not worth it to buy a theatre in a box, if you don't have the money then by it component by component. First i'd buy the dvd player because you can use it by it self without the other two. Second i'd buy the receiver because you probably have some old speakers lieing around that you can hook up to it to get better sound then the tv will give you. Finally buy a good set of speakers so you can fully enjoy the rest of the equiptment you've purchased. I purchased my receiver one boxing day and then a speaker setup the next boxing day because i couldn't affor to take a big hit. Otherwise look into purchasing them from a place that will give you a payment plan, i know 2001 audio video and the brick have 12 months no payment or something like that so essentially it's like buying them separatly.

stay away from the theatre in a box setups though because the sound is crap (worse then computer speakers or those under the cabinet kitchen radios), you can't add components (say you want to hook up your computer to the receiver to play your mp3's right off your computer, or you want to hook up a video game system), and they are just throw-ins that the company that makes the tv adds to make purchasing their tv more appealing because you think your getting everything you need.

i would also recommend going to the stores and checking out the receivers (maybe friday?) and seeing which ones have the features your looking for but make sure you play with them so you know what it can do. also buy one that's made by a company that's known for audio, just because a big company makes all sorts of electronics that doesn't mean they make everything the best.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2003
1507 posts
33 upvotes
I have to agree with Rawker. If you just want a lowend surround sound system; a ht in the box will probably be ok.

But if you want great sound, and the options to add components (ie an xbox or a sat receiver) to your system; you should purchase a seperate amp and dvd player..
Nov 30, 2002
521 posts
38 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
Rawker, we need more people around here spreading some truth in audio, keep it up!
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1010 upvotes
teddy boom wrote:Rawker, we need more people around here spreading some truth in audio, keep it up!
Yes...that's exactly what we need. Someone going around saying you shouldn't get this or that because they don't care for it not because it isn't what the poster is looking for. :sigh:

There are plenty of fourms for audiophiles online. I'm sure they'd love more posts. This is a deals site...and if a $80 home theatre does what the poster wants then imho it's a deal.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Nov 30, 2002
521 posts
38 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
If you are thinking about a home theatre in a box (HTIB) consider the centrios bookshelf speakers for $35 each. They are a pretty good deal for what they are, and they compare favorably to any HTIB deal: 5x $35 (for speakers) + $200 (some cheap FS reciever) + $20 (speaker wire, interconnects) = $395. No HTIB is likely to sound as good as this. True, you don't get a subwoofer, but that is no loss since the subwoofers included in HTIBs aren't really subwoofers (subwoofer should be reproducing 20-100Hz, not 120-250Hz).

The centrios speakers are a re-release of the Optimus Pro x7 and you can see me rant about them here and here and especially here.