Page 1 of 1

Any Good Furniture Store in Toronto

Posted: Apr 30th, 2011 10:39 pm
by punisher101
I've search a number of threads on RFD to find a good furniture store that sell quality furniture at a reasonable price. It just seems that the service for many of the big furniture stores is abysmal.

Brick - Terrible Service. There was a continuing thread on how terrible they were. Mostly Made in China - subpar quality
Leons, Bad Boy, Arrow - Same/similar as above

I've checked out La-z-Boy and Khrohler. I don't really see a big jump in quality. Most of the furniture looks the same to me. The only difference is there is a much higher markup.
Sears and the Bay was pretty bad quality I won't even bother purchasing from them.

Chesterfield's was ok although again there have been reviews of really bad customer service. It just seems to be a reocurring motif great sales, horrible after sales.

Can anyone suggest a good furniture store with customer service that is decent?

Re: Any Good Furniture Store in Toronto

Posted: May 1st, 2011 11:57 am
by amz155
To see things in a show room I like to visit Zilli Home (in Vaughan), Direct Interiors (Brampton), Decorium (Dufferin/Steeles), and Union Lighting (on Castlefied, I think). But then to purchase I contact Brooklyn for the best prices.

There's also Decor Rest and Distinctive Designs (the latter for couches). But you have to be referred to their showrooms (or just say that Zilli Home or Brooklyn Furniture referred you).

Posted: May 2nd, 2011 11:24 am
by punisher101
I'll look into that. thanks

Posted: May 3rd, 2011 1:39 am
by TripleH13
I have been to Back in Comfort at 2800 Danforth Avenue and dealt with Dan in the past and always had great service.

Posted: May 3rd, 2011 1:33 pm
by No Frills
I bought reasonably priced furniture at Casalife in Liberty Village...you need to look around though for prices. Also Zum Living on Queen St. West. I suggest you browse around in the Queen St. W shops for a bit.

Posted: May 3rd, 2011 1:51 pm
by xalex0
Ikea ftw

Posted: May 3rd, 2011 2:21 pm
by amz155
xalex0 wrote: Ikea ftw

OP said quality furniture. I wouldn't consider most of what Ikea sells as quality furniture.

Posted: May 3rd, 2011 4:58 pm
by xalex0
amz155 wrote: OP said quality furniture. I wouldn't consider most of what Ikea sells as quality furniture.
Sure, but since all the big stores can't offer good quality anyway, this would be reasonable.

Posted: May 4th, 2011 7:27 pm
by Eyeman
punisher101 wrote: I've search a number of threads on RFD to find a good furniture store that sell quality furniture at a reasonable price. It just seems that the service for many of the big furniture stores is abysmal.

Brick - Terrible Service. There was a continuing thread on how terrible they were. Mostly Made in China - subpar quality
Leons, Bad Boy, Arrow - Same/similar as above

I've checked out La-z-Boy and Khrohler. I don't really see a big jump in quality. Most of the furniture looks the same to me. The only difference is there is a much higher markup.
Sears and the Bay was pretty bad quality I won't even bother purchasing from them.

Chesterfield's was ok although again there have been reviews of really bad customer service. It just seems to be a reocurring motif great sales, horrible after sales.

Can anyone suggest a good furniture store with customer service that is decent?
You don't give any information about style or price, it is impossible to advise you. Good furniture, solid wood, top finishing, etc is very expensive these days. The question is what are you willing to pay for. When you say "good quality," that could mean anything. Ikea is good quality if you are going to spend $600 on a sofa. If you are prepared to spend $6000+, then Barrymore is where you might go for a "good quality" sofa.

Overall, Toronto has is amazingly poor in furniture stores. The best in Southern Ontario by far is Thompson's in Aurora. but I heard that they may have closed. There used to a place in the old Idomo building that sold some Harden, one of the better furniture brands, and some Stanley, which is OK. Best bet in furniture is to buy by manufacturer, not by store. Gibbard is very good also. Thomasville is available in Toronto and was once the Big Dog in high end furniture, but they've gotten progressively crappier over the years. They probably buy half the world's particle board supply every year. Basset was once good quality but is mostly now pure junk. Less expensive and lower quality but still decent brands include stuff like Durham and Villageois.

Ethan Allen is worth a look in a pinch but overpriced. Another place worth a look is Amish Designed in Pickering. It's the biggest furniture showroom I've seen in the area. Solid wood at a decent price and they will make virtually anything to your desired size and finish. I've not been there for a few years, but there there is/was an area at the International Center where lots of furniture companies have displays and stores set up. It's a good place to browse many manufacturers in one place.

Posted: May 10th, 2011 10:49 am
by ld83
I wasn't particularly happy with the customer service at the Chesterfield Shop (it took 3 times as long as they quoted me to get my leather sectional) - but I am extremely happy with the product (Canadian made) unlike the China crap you find at the Brick, etc.

They also refunded my delivery charge for the delay :)

Posted: May 11th, 2011 2:08 pm
by Jul251
No Frills wrote: I bought reasonably priced furniture at Casalife in Liberty Village...you need to look around though for prices. Also Zum Living on Queen St. West. I suggest you browse around in the Queen St. W shops for a bit.

I'd recommend Queen West for some good inspiration and if you're still in the initial stages of figuring out what styles you want. Walking Queen St. will take a day and you may not come out with anything so if you're looking to make a purchase and get home, it might not be the best option... I was at Restoration hardware on the weekend near young and eglinton :D ... no purchases...all window shopping. It was definitely good for the inspiration.

Posted: May 23rd, 2011 1:07 am
by ccdude
amz155 wrote: To see things in a show room I like to visit Zilli Home (in Vaughan), Direct Interiors (Brampton), Decorium (Dufferin/Steeles), and Union Lighting (on Castlefied, I think). But then to purchase I contact Brooklyn for the best prices.

There's also Decor Rest and Distinctive Designs (the latter for couches). But you have to be referred to their showrooms (or just say that Zilli Home or Brooklyn Furniture referred you).

+1 for Brooklyn and Distinctive. I shopped my set around and they were the cheapest by $200

The store is a mess but best price