• Dec 29th, 2013 12:10 am
Tags:
None
Oct 30, 2013
191 posts
175 upvotes
Edmonton

Any good ice skate deals?

I haven't owned a pair of skates in years and a bunch of my friends own a pair so I'd like to get back into it. Does anyone know where I can find a nice deal on hockey skates? I don't know about my skate size either so if the place does fittings that would be great too. I live in Calgary by the way. Thanks a lot!
18 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
1187 posts
751 upvotes
Richmond
Sport Chek has 20% minimum off every skate there. Go in and try on a few different ones in your price range to see what you think fits the best and is the most comfortable.
Jul 28, 2006
243 posts
108 upvotes
Calgary
I recommend going to a store that knows how to size skates like adrenalin source for sports in Calgary. Last year sport check sized me in a 9.5 and now I ware 7.5.

Adrenalin will price match sport check
Deal Fanatic
Jan 26, 2003
5334 posts
780 upvotes
pmnguyen wrote: I haven't owned a pair of skates in years and a bunch of my friends own a pair so I'd like to get back into it. Does anyone know where I can find a nice deal on hockey skates? I don't know about my skate size either so if the place does fittings that would be great too. I live in Calgary by the way. Thanks a lot!
Skate sizing is typically 1 to 1.5 sizes smaller than your shoe size.

So, if you take a size 7.5 shoe you should be initially fitted for a size 6 skate and adjust from from there.

Don't ask me why ... that's the way it is with pretty much all manufacturer of ice skates.

Since you need a proper fitting (important) you should check out your LHS (local hockey store) to get fitted for an entry level skate (as long as you're not 300lbs) because:

- entry level skates have more flex which is better for less-than-advanced skaters = more comfort.
- cheaper!
He .... looka lika MAN!
I tell you every ting!
----------------------------------------------------
If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2006
1519 posts
58 upvotes
GTA
+1 on Sportchek. It will probably be busy but you can use the 20% Team Assist on top of their current boxing week promotion (which is already 20% off)
Apr 18, 2009
63 posts
3 upvotes
Surrey
Get sized locally and check check prices at hockeymonkey.com or inlinewarehouse.com and have them, probably the hockey shop or cyclone taylors price match. Save hundreds. I did.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2944 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
I want to know too a good deal for a size of 3 years old.
Oct 30, 2013
191 posts
175 upvotes
Edmonton
lagzor wrote: +1 on Sportchek. It will probably be busy but you can use the 20% Team Assist on top of their current boxing week promotion (which is already 20% off)
Sorry, what is the Team Assist? Thanks!
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
1201 posts
1693 upvotes
Calgary
pmnguyen wrote: Sorry, what is the Team Assist? Thanks!
20% off anything coupon (including sale items)

I have a few to give out if you're willing to meet in Coral Springs in the NE (Anybody who wants one, PM me!)
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
1955 posts
2985 upvotes
Ottawa
mekong wrote: Get sized locally and check check prices at hockeymonkey.com or inlinewarehouse.com and have them, probably the hockey shop or cyclone taylors price match. Save hundreds. I did.
Checked hockeymonkey.com....good prices but they don't ship to Canada.
"HockeyMonkey® is happy to ship orders to foreign destinations but please keep in mind that due to restrictions set forth by some manufacturers, we are unable to ship Bauer, CCM, Easton, Reebok and Warrior items to destinations outside of the United States."
Deal Fanatic
Jan 26, 2003
5334 posts
780 upvotes
mikek33 wrote: Checked hockeymonkey.com....good prices but they don't ship to Canada.
"HockeyMonkey® is happy to ship orders to foreign destinations but please keep in mind that due to restrictions set forth by some manufacturers, we are unable to ship Bauer, CCM, Easton, Reebok and Warrior items to destinations outside of the United States."
The big three: icewarehouse, hockeymonkey, hockeygiant - all follow this. You have to ship items to border companies.

So, not all people can take advantage of deals there.
He .... looka lika MAN!
I tell you every ting!
----------------------------------------------------
If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1439 posts
194 upvotes
Winnipeg
my 2cents
this is not something you should be buying on boxing day. the last time I bought skates I was there for about 2hrs trying them on and talking with the sales staff. and I already knew which brands tend to fit best. if you're going in totally blind, you definitely want somebody that's able to spend some time with you. measure your foot properly, and explain what to look for when fitting. even for casual use you should expect to spend at least 30mins having your feet measured and trying on a few pairs.

also, I wouldn't expect any crazy deals, in the heart of winter on ice skates. even boxing day is no exception. I also wouldn't worry too much about shopping online. in my experience the price of online is basically on par with in store. the only exceptions being very old stock and some clearance items(which tend to be more common online, but not always). when you factor in the importance of a proper fitting, there's really no reason not to buy from the local shop. there's no guarantee that 2yr old model that's only available online will even fit you.

and 2x on getting a cheap entry level model. more expensive is not better! buying skates is 90% about fit. when you start getting in performance and such, it's a little different, but for a good skate to get around the pond on, cheaper is better(more comfortable) more often than not. but again, fitting is everything.
Oct 30, 2013
191 posts
175 upvotes
Edmonton
Yeah, it appears that most stores have their sales going for at least a few days, so it's probable that I'll go the 27th or the 28th instead. Thanks for the input!
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2006
1519 posts
58 upvotes
GTA
+1 with what kamascottra said. I believe sportchek's sale ends on 30th, so you have a bit of time. Also ask about heat molding your skate around your feet for best fit.(should be free if you buy from sportchek).
Feb 13, 2012
46 posts
13 upvotes
Red Deer
I just picked up a pair of reeboks for 56 bucks reg 140 at can tire. Nice skates. The also have the same pair but with pumps for 111 reg 160.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
1201 posts
1693 upvotes
Calgary
Already gave away 2 team assists (Including 2 free skate sharpenings) to 2 RFDers! If you need one, PM me
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
7478 posts
1467 upvotes
Ottawa
Is the skate at Walmart good?
Nov 21, 2013
42 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Is it possible to be emailed the "team assist"? I live on the east coast and in need of new skates an additional 20% would help the wallet.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
1955 posts
2985 upvotes
Ottawa
Picked up a pair of Bauer Supreme One.6 skates at Sportchek. Really like the fit and are perfect for recreational/semi-competitive use. I had them "baked" as well to improve the fit. Came to just over $120+ taxes after I used the 20% TA coupon. Happy with this deal as they retail for $200.

The deals for higher end skates were even better. The Bauer Supreme One.8 skates that retail for over $500 were on for $250 (or $200 TA coupon)!