Cell Phones

Any good mid-range phones that are smaller than 5.5"?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2017 1:35 am
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 15, 2017
56 posts
12 upvotes

Any good mid-range phones that are smaller than 5.5"?

I'd like a phone that I could use comfortably with one hand. Anything above 5.5" is too wide.

Basic requirements
Memory: 3 GB or more (4 GB would be ideal)
Internal storage: 32GB or more (64 GB is ideal) + SD card slot
Budget: Up to $250 - $325 when on sale

I don't mind sacrificing some build quality or prestige; as long as there isn't anything stupid*.

*Stupid would be:
- Having no flash for camera
- Having a puny 2500 mAh battery

Xiaomi Redmi 4X looks decent, but I'd like to avoid international vendors if possible.
Moto G5 would be great if it had more than 2GB of memory.
73 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1202 posts
195 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
It's a bit more, but Costco has the Galaxy A5 for $389.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1170 posts
106 upvotes
Here
If you don't mind used, a Galaxy S7 is good value.

PS. The Moto G5 Plus has a version that has 4GB RAM and 64GB of storage. It meets your criteria. I'm not sure if it's available in Canada though. I bought one on Amazon.com.
Nov 5, 2009
648 posts
36 upvotes
Felix15 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 10:01 pm
Sounds like you're looking for LG G5.
Whatever phone you end up deciding on, make sure you research it first. I made that mistake. I got the LG G5 without researching its shortcomings. It turns out that it does not work with my car (phone or audio), not rootable and not getting the Oreo update. Do your research to avoid disappointment.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2017
56 posts
12 upvotes
batcave wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 8:41 pm
If you don't mind used, a Galaxy S7 is good value.

PS. The Moto G5 Plus has a version that has 4GB RAM and 64GB of storage. It meets your criteria. I'm not sure if it's available in Canada though. I bought one on Amazon.com.
G5 64GB is on Amazon Canada, but listed for $475!
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1170 posts
106 upvotes
Here
BBZero wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 12:08 am
G5 64GB is on Amazon Canada, but listed for $475!
Whoa! I bought it for US$180 (with Amazon ads) in the spring!
Jun 2, 2002
292 posts
89 upvotes
BBZero wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 6:05 pm
... I'd like to avoid international vendors if possible.
Moto G5 would be great ...
Sorry, couldn't resist .. that's a funny juxtaposition :)
[OP]
Nov 15, 2017
56 posts
12 upvotes
miji2 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 8:03 am
Sorry, couldn't resist .. that's a funny juxtaposition :)
Haha you got me.

Moto G5 is purchasable from Amazon Canada though. By "international", I meant places like AliExpress or Honorbuy.
May 8, 2009
2234 posts
710 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
BBZero wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 6:05 pm
I'd like a phone that I could use comfortably with one hand. Anything above 5.5" is too wide.

Basic requirements
Memory: 3 GB or more (4 GB would be ideal)
Internal storage: 32GB or more (64 GB is ideal) + SD card slot
Budget: Up to $250 - $325 when on sale

I don't mind sacrificing some build quality or prestige; as long as there isn't anything stupid*.

*Stupid would be:
- Having no flash for camera
- Having a puny 2500 mAh battery

Xiaomi Redmi 4X looks decent, but I'd like to avoid international vendors if possible.
Moto G5 would be great if it had more than 2GB of memory.
Though Black Friday just past, Boxing Day is coming up. Play the Koodo game and acquire a mid-range phone that meets your criteria and spending limit. If you're already with Virgin Mobile, it's possible to exploit their promo's, too (Virgin Mobile is less of a hassle but only a great deal if you're already with them...sorry I don't use Fido so I don't know about their deals).

If you can grab a mid-range on Koodo with a device balance of $360, you *usually* have the option of paying $120 upfront, which leaves you with a device balance of $240. Pop in a referral to off-set the 90 day haul (cancel on day 91). Wow mobile offers trade-in deals when you trade a busted phone (that'll chew down your upfront $120).

Grab a gift card of $200+ and you're laughing away at how inexpensive your phone works out to be.

Good grabs would be:
  • Galaxy A5
  • LG G5 (if you can find it) or LG G6 (probably $0 upfront on tab medium, might not offer a gift card but still a good phone to dip over the $200)
  • LG Stylo 3 Plus
  • Galaxy S7
  • Essential Phone (available at BestBuy, probably no gift card, but still not too shabby)
  • iPhone 6 or SE...pay a bit extra for extra storage or a 6s (6s probably worth the price difference if you're going to use it)
Koodo existing customers, haggle on an upgrade to get extra discounts (personalized loyalty offers) on LG G6 or Essential Phone PH-1.

On Virgin, I think best deals to be had (if we get a repeat of Black Friday) would be Huawei P10 or P10 Lite. Got the P10 Lite on an upgrade at a break-even (but it's an upgrade on my main line so I don't feel the device balance as much) and the P10 on an added line (personalized offer, worked out to be ~$100 out of pocket for a Huawei P10, retails for $650). My Virgin Mobile Black Friday loot blew my Koodo loot out of the water (mind you, I did get amazing deals on Koodo as well).

Koodo's been tightening the grip on the referrals, but Virgin Mobile's add a line get one month free (time it correctly and get seven weeks free) is always in effect, no hassle, no SMS validation, no email alias, etc.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4263 posts
487 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I would recommend this one
https://www.amazon.ca/BLU-Unlocked-Smar ... ife+one+x2

Make sure you do not update the phone after delivery as the latest update may brick the phone.
In the setting, make sure you do not download the update not to mention performing the update.
Wait until things are cleared out and watch things on line before proceeding with updating.
Things go wrong and you return to Amazon.ca locally (with their no question asked policy)
I have the phone and it works flawlessly (except there will be a long wait for update)
It works for Wind and it includes the key Band 4 in LTE
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call
May 8, 2009
2234 posts
710 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
danieltoronto wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 4:23 pm
I would recommend this one
https://www.amazon.ca/BLU-Unlocked-Smar ... ife+one+x2

Make sure you do not update the phone after delivery as the latest update may brick the phone.
In the setting, make sure you do not download the update not to mention performing the update.
Wait until things are cleared out and watch things on line before proceeding with updating.
Things go wrong and you return to Amazon.ca locally (with their no question asked policy)
I have the phone and it works flawlessly (except there will be a long wait for update)
It works for Wind and it includes the key Band 4 in LTE
Lolz I could never recommend a device here on RFD that will likely brick on an OTA update :lol:
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4263 posts
487 upvotes
NORTH YORK
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 4:48 pm
Lolz I could never recommend a device here on RFD that will likely brick on an OTA update :lol:
The rule of thumb of using low end phone is that "if it ain't broke do not fix it".
Nothing wrong waiting a month until things have settled down before updating after all complaints are heard. That has been my usual approach. Thus I am still using the phone with zero problem
That also applies to pc too. (eg Win 7 to Win 10)
My suggestion is fool proof too. Things go wrong the phone goes back to Amazon. Big deal
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call