Cell Phones

Any good mid-range phones that are smaller than 5.5"?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 12:55 pm
Tags:
May 8, 2009
2224 posts
708 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
danieltoronto wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 5:18 pm
The rule of thumb of using low end phone is that "if it ain't broke do not fix it".
Nothing wrong waiting a month until things have settled down before updating after all complaints are heard. That has been my usual approach. Thus I am still using the phone with zero problem
That also applies to pc too. (eg Win 7 to Win 10)
My suggestion is fool proof too. Things go wrong the phone goes back to Amazon. Big deal
Shouldn't have to be the case. Once a manufacturer or carrier releases an OTA update, it should be considered stable. In fact, the usually release OTA's in waves to asses the impact on users, so any issues can be detected quickly.

I don't use Windows. I use Linux, and OS updates are stable. I used to do a fresh install on major updates, but that doesn't seem to make any difference anymore.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
[OP]
Nov 15, 2017
54 posts
11 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 4:23 pm
I would recommend this one
https://www.amazon.ca/BLU-Unlocked-Smar ... ife+one+x2

Make sure you do not update the phone after delivery as the latest update may brick the phone.
In the setting, make sure you do not download the update not to mention performing the update.
Wait until things are cleared out and watch things on line before proceeding with updating.
Things go wrong and you return to Amazon.ca locally (with their no question asked policy)
I have the phone and it works flawlessly (except there will be a long wait for update)
It works for Wind and it includes the key Band 4 in LTE
I have that phone! It is because of the update fiasco that I want to look for an alternative. I've lost trust in BLU.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4254 posts
485 upvotes
NORTH YORK
BBZero wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 7:44 pm
I have that phone! It is because of the update fiasco that I want to look for an alternative. I've lost trust in BLU.
Do you have problem with the phone? BLU is a no name brand. I would not have got it if not for Amazon.ca.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call
[OP]
Nov 15, 2017
54 posts
11 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 8:12 pm
Do you have problem with the phone? BLU is a no name brand. I would not have got it if not for Amazon.ca.
No the phone is quite good; excellent when you consider the price tag. I have an urge to ditch it though after the update incident, but only if there's a suitable replacement out there.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1504 posts
52 upvotes
Scarborough
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 5:53 pm
Shouldn't have to be the case. Once a manufacturer or carrier releases an OTA update, it should be considered stable. In fact, the usually release OTA's in waves to asses the impact on users, so any issues can be detected quickly.
You'd think that, but even Apple bungles their updates. The initial iOS 11 release was a buggy mess, and even now they haven't ironed everything out. On the upside, at least Apple is much quicker rolling out fixes than everyone else.

What I'd like to see is Android decoupling their updates from phone manufacturers and carriers. It really ought to work the way Windows does, where the OS gets updated regardless of what device you're using and which ISP you use. Relying on device manufacturers for OS updates is insane on an open platform like Android. Project Treble is a step in the right direction, they just need to go all the way with it.
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: ever-wanted-shoot-guns-legally-next-sat ... n-1185701/
May 8, 2009
2224 posts
708 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
tritium4ever wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 8:46 pm
You'd think that, but even Apple bungles their updates. The initial iOS 11 release was a buggy mess, and even now they haven't ironed everything out. On the upside, at least Apple is much quicker rolling out fixes than everyone else.

What I'd like to see is Android decoupling their updates from phone manufacturers and carriers. It really ought to work the way Windows does, where the OS gets updated regardless of what device you're using and which ISP you use. Relying on device manufacturers for OS updates is insane on an open platform like Android. Project Treble is a step in the right direction, they just need to go all the way with it.
Ah, touché.

I agree with you on those points. Thank you for bringing up project Treble, first time I hear about it. About time Google does that.

Windows has become a much more hardware-inclusive OS where most drivers are included in the install, and I would imagine Android could probably do something similar (especially given that it's Linux-based).

I think manufacturers favour shorter updates lifespans for their devices to encourage frequent upgrades. I doubt it makes much of a difference, seems to me that iPhone users upgrade their devices at least as frequently as Android users.

I'm cool with the status quo where you can still get a few extra years out of an Android device via custom ROM's, but agreed it'd be great to see project Treble make it feasible on stock.
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4254 posts
485 upvotes
NORTH YORK
BBZero wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 8:22 pm
No the phone is quite good; excellent when you consider the price tag. I have an urge to ditch it though after the update incident, but only if there's a suitable replacement out there.
If the phone lasts for 2 years with one year being on the shelf as a back up (for new one), I get more than the money worth of the BLU phone LOL.
So far so good. It is perfect for a non-gamer (128 Gb, Sdcard, Fast charge, 4 Gb RAM.....) . I do not even have to do a reset as I took precaution of not allowing update/downloading
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4254 posts
485 upvotes
NORTH YORK
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 5:53 pm
I don't use Windows. I use Linux, and OS updates are stable. I used to do a fresh install on major updates, but that doesn't seem to make any difference anymore.
I have 3 pc on 3 floors of the house all with multi boot (Ubuntu/LinuxMint/Windows)
Only one Window got updated to Win 10 which sucks so far.
I hardly ever boot to Windows at all LOL
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13229 posts
3017 upvotes
Toronto
danieltoronto wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 4:23 pm
I would recommend this one
https://www.amazon.ca/BLU-Unlocked-Smar ... ife+one+x2

Make sure you do not update the phone after delivery as the latest update may brick the phone.
In the setting, make sure you do not download the update not to mention performing the update.
Wait until things are cleared out and watch things on line before proceeding with updating.
Things go wrong and you return to Amazon.ca locally (with their no question asked policy)
I have the phone and it works flawlessly (except there will be a long wait for update)
It works for Wind and it includes the key Band 4 in LTE
There are so many options out there, why would you recommend a bottom feeder brand at mid range price? I also recommend OP do the Koodo thing during boxing week. Surely they will bring back some cheap phone options on a tab. I also suggest looking at 5.5 inch phones. With bezels shrinking to near zero, 5.5 inch phones are about the size of 5 inch phones.
May 8, 2009
2224 posts
708 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
will888 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 9:52 am
There are so many options out there, why would you recommend a bottom feeder brand at mid range price? I also recommend OP do the Koodo thing during boxing week. Surely they will bring back some cheap phone options on a tab. I also suggest looking at 5.5 inch phones. With bezels shrinking to near zero, 5.5 inch phones are about the size of 5 inch phones.
@will888 nice to see you start encouraging acquiring carrier phones :D
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13229 posts
3017 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 9:55 am
@will888 nice to see you start encouraging acquiring carrier phones :D
Yeah, weak moment. I got the essential phone which I don't consider to be a carrier phone given that it's not SIM locked and contains no carrier bloat.
May 8, 2009
2224 posts
708 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
danieltoronto wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 7:56 am
I have 3 pc on 3 floors of the house all with multi boot (Ubuntu/LinuxMint/Windows)
Only one Window got updated to Win 10 which sucks so far.
I hardly ever boot to Windows at all LOL
Nice. Aren't Ubuntu and Mint updates smooth now?
will888 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 10:00 am
Yeah, weak moment. I got the essential phone which I don't consider to be a carrier phone given that it's not SIM locked and contains no carrier bloat.
No carrier phones off the shelf are carrier-locked anymore. As for carrier bloat, latest phones have next to none now, and besides, you'd be flashing a custom ROM so it makes no difference.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4254 posts
485 upvotes
NORTH YORK
will888 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 9:52 am
There are so many options out there, why would you recommend a bottom feeder brand at mid range price?
Not many choice for Can$220 + tax with 128 Gb /4 Gb RAM, Separate Sd slot, dual SIM, 1080 , Wind compatible, available Amazon.ca
It has stellar feedback until Nov 28 LOL
The OP BBZero is happy with that phone too even though he is not happy re the problematic update.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
[OP]
Nov 15, 2017
54 posts
11 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 3:24 pm
Not many choice for Can$220 + tax with 128 Gb /4 Gb RAM, Separate Sd slot, dual SIM, 1080 , Wind compatible, available Amazon.ca
It has stellar feedback until Nov 28 LOL
The OP BBZero is happy with that phone too even though he is not happy re the problematic update.
It also comes with stock (or near stock) Android, which the same can't be said about Asus/Samsung/Xiaomi/etc.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4254 posts
485 upvotes
NORTH YORK
BBZero wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 4:23 pm
It also comes with stock (or near stock) Android, which the same can't be said about Asus/Samsung/Xiaomi/etc.
True. BLU is so little that it does not even have its bloatware LOL
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan