Cell Phones

Any good mid-range phones that are smaller than 5.5"?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 9:08 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 15, 2017
54 posts
12 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 9:52 am
There are so many options out there, why would you recommend a bottom feeder brand at mid range price? I also recommend OP do the Koodo thing during boxing week. Surely they will bring back some cheap phone options on a tab. I also suggest looking at 5.5 inch phones. With bezels shrinking to near zero, 5.5 inch phones are about the size of 5 inch phones.
That is a good point. The current Blu Life One X2 I have is 5.2", but it's rather thick as well, so it feels bigger in the hand.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13232 posts
3018 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 10:17 am

No carrier phones off the shelf are carrier-locked anymore. As for carrier bloat, latest phones have next to none now, and besides, you'd be flashing a custom ROM so it makes no difference.
Well you know what I mean. Carrier phone to me means LG, Samsung, and previously HTC. Those brands with heavily skinned Android.
May 8, 2009
2226 posts
709 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
will888 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 7:20 pm
Well you know what I mean. Carrier phone to me means LG, Samsung, and previously HTC. Those brands with heavily skinned Android.
That yes, fair enough. Glad you got into today's carrier phones.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13232 posts
3018 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 9:06 pm
That yes, fair enough. Glad you got into today's carrier phones.
I still don't think I bought a carrier phone, more like a phone sold by a carrier. The OTAs are not controlled by Telus. That is another big negative about carrier phones.
May 8, 2009
2226 posts
709 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
will888 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 11:19 pm
I still don't think I bought a carrier phone, more like a phone sold by a carrier. The OTAs are not controlled by Telus. That is another big negative about carrier phones.
Ah, gotcha. I admit that I also am not a fan of that annoyance. Hence when grabbing phones off carrier shelves for my own usage, I try to go without the carrier skin or at least be able to flash a custom ROM.
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13232 posts
3018 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 12:37 am
Ah, gotcha. I admit that I also am not a fan of that annoyance. Hence when grabbing phones off carrier shelves for my own usage, I try to go without the carrier skin or at least be able to flash a custom ROM.
I have seen so many situations where someone unlocks a carrier phone, tries to use it with a competitor's service and the data doesn't work. They are at a loss until they learn there's this APN thing that needs to be set up. The supplying carrier nukes the APN configuration file so that only theirs is on record. Crap like this we can all do without. I do like bootloaders that are readily unlockable with simple fastboot command, not some dirty hack. We are on the same page on the hate for carrier phones.
May 8, 2009
2226 posts
709 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
will888 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 5:49 pm
I have seen so many situations where someone unlocks a carrier phone, tries to use it with a competitor's service and the data doesn't work. They are at a loss until they learn there's this APN thing that needs to be set up. The supplying carrier nukes the APN configuration file so that only theirs is on record. Crap like this we can all do without. I do like bootloaders that are readily unlockable with simple fastboot command, not some dirty hack. We are on the same page on the hate for carrier phones.
I think so too. I've acquired a liking for carrier phones back in 2014 when I realized how crazy cheap their phones are via promo's. I have found the APN issue to be resolved since Android 5, though I remember the annoyance on older phones. Fortunately, carriers have lessened their injected nonsense into their devices over time.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13232 posts
3018 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 8:41 pm
I think so too. I've acquired a liking for carrier phones back in 2014 when I realized how crazy cheap their phones are via promo's. I have found the APN issue to be resolved since Android 5, though I remember the annoyance on older phones. Fortunately, carriers have lessened their injected nonsense into their devices over time.
The APN BS continues. Ask someone who has a Zoomer sourced LG G4 to try it on say Public Mobile. There is no APN on file to be found. The APN configuration file containing the particulars for literally every carrier on earth is open source. When the shenanigans end, I will deprecate the term carrier phone. Just tell me when.
May 8, 2009
2226 posts
709 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
will888 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:21 am
The APN BS continues. Ask someone who has a Zoomer sourced LG G4 to try it on say Public Mobile. There is no APN on file to be found. The APN configuration file containing the particulars for literally every carrier on earth is open source. When the shenanigans end, I will deprecate the term carrier phone. Just tell me when.
Ah, this is news to me. Since Lollipop, I've been able to switch Virgin and Koodo "carrier phones" to the other carrier's sim (Koodo phone with Virgin sim, Virgin phone with Koodo sim), even got a Freedom phone (Sony) with Android 7 and auto-loads APN on both Virgin and Koodo.

My experience has been as of Lollipop. Could be as of Marshmallow as I have limited experience with inter-carrier sim-swapping on Lollipop devices. Sounds like LG flagships carried a lot of carrier nonsense. On JellyBean & KitKat, I had to manually set APN numerous times. Some of those devices had the carrier's boot animation as well.

Have you tried a device from carrier from 2016 or later? Would be interesting to see if the shannanigans continue, but from my experience, it's *mostly* in the past.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13232 posts
3018 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:43 am
Ah, this is news to me. Since Lollipop, I've been able to switch Virgin and Koodo "carrier phones" to the other carrier's sim (Koodo phone with Virgin sim, Virgin phone with Koodo sim), even got a Freedom phone (Sony) with Android 7 and auto-loads APN on both Virgin and Koodo.

My experience has been as of Lollipop. Could be as of Marshmallow as I have limited experience with inter-carrier sim-swapping on Lollipop devices. Sounds like LG flagships carried a lot of carrier nonsense. On JellyBean & KitKat, I had to manually set APN numerous times. Some of those devices had the carrier's boot animation as well.

Have you tried a device from carrier from 2016 or later? Would be interesting to see if the shannanigans continue, but from my experience, it's *mostly* in the past.
The LG G4 in question was manufactured in 04/2017. But the again, LG probably put software that was written 5 year ago into the phone.
May 8, 2009
2226 posts
709 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
will888 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 4:15 pm
The LG G4 in question was manufactured in 04/2017. But the again, LG probably put software that was written 5 year ago into the phone.
Makes sense. Please let me know if any newer model phone (2016 or newer) requires manual APN input, I'd be curious to know. Haven't had that issue yet though. Carrier phones are getting better. Still only single sim to keep consumers blind to their options, but certainly "good enough" for the general population.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7583 posts
2496 upvotes
ON
That could be more of an issue with public mobile not exactly being a common carrier than them actively removing/blocking it.
I got my father a Zenfone 3 (sold unlocked/universal) and it also does not recognize PM and I had to put in APN manually. It has telus and koodo, however.
May 8, 2009
2226 posts
709 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
aqnd wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:03 pm
That could be more of an issue with public mobile not exactly being a common carrier than them actively removing/blocking it.
I got my father a Zenfone 3 (sold unlocked/universal) and it also does not recognize PM and I had to put in APN manually. It has telus and koodo, however.
Interesting, then it may not be an issue limited to carrier phones. Perhaps non-Telus/Koodo devices may not automatically detect a Public sim for auto-loading the APN.

This to me suggests that most carrier APN's will auto-generate on any Android device going back to Lollipop.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13232 posts
3018 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:17 pm
Interesting, then it may not be an issue limited to carrier phones. Perhaps non-Telus/Koodo devices may not automatically detect a Public sim for auto-loading the APN.

This to me suggests that most carrier APN's will auto-generate on any Android device going back to Lollipop.
I always thought that APNs are store in a file. /system/etc/apns-conf.xml
May 8, 2009
2226 posts
709 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
will888 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 11:40 pm
I always thought that APNs are store in a file. /system/etc/apns-conf.xml
That makes sense. But many devices (unless they come from telus/Koodo) might not detect a Public sim as a Telus/Koodo sim for APN purposes.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

MartinF110