Cell Phones

Any good mid-range phones that are smaller than 5.5"?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2017 11:47 am
Tags:
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13220 posts
3013 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 9:37 am
That makes sense. But many devices (unless they come from telus/Koodo) might not detect a Public sim as a Telus/Koodo sim for APN purposes.
You really think so? I am more inclined to think the APN file is neutered. Something as easy as adding the APN can stop a lot of people. Many are so accustomed to the carrier store placing the SIM card into the phone and having it all ready to take home.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2017
54 posts
11 upvotes
Got a hold of a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X. It's a 5.5" phone that is just a couple of mm longer and wider than the Blu Life One X2 (5.2"). Even with that slight increase in size, the phone was uncomfortable to use. Not to mention MIUI is a pain to look at.

The search continues...
May 8, 2009
2214 posts
701 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
will888 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 10:28 pm
You really think so? I am more inclined to think the APN file is neutered. Something as easy as adding the APN can stop a lot of people. Many are so accustomed to the carrier store placing the SIM card into the phone and having it all ready to take home.
I can see where that's a dealbreaker for some.

It looks like Public's APN is different from Telus's APN, also a different one for Koodo.

Do you know any phone (except for Telus inventory) who automatically picks up on a Public Mobile sim for APN? Even a 2016 or 2017 phone?

My guess is that most phones would struggle to find the Public sim in that XML file.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13220 posts
3013 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 1:46 am
I can see where that's a dealbreaker for some.

It looks like Public's APN is different from Telus's APN, also a different one for Koodo.

Do you know any phone (except for Telus inventory) who automatically picks up on a Public Mobile sim for APN? Even a 2016 or 2017 phone?

My guess is that most phones would struggle to find the Public sim in that XML file.
I run third party roms with full APN configuration files. My phone had no problems picking up the correct APN.
May 8, 2009
2214 posts
701 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
will888 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 8:25 am
I run third party roms with full APN configuration files. My phone had no problems picking up the correct APN.
Aftermarket ROM's tend to have better overall support on even "carrier phones", often it'll enable VoLTE, Miracast (from home screen, not just in-app), a plethora of features including multi-user, etc. I'm not surprised they'll pick up on a wider range of sim cards/carriers&subs, since much of it includes end-user contributions. Wouldn't surprise me that custom ROM's would have an improved APN XML file.

I'm willing to bet that many phones (carrier or "international") won't auto-detect a Public Mobile sim even today without a custom ROM.
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13220 posts
3013 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 8:59 am
Aftermarket ROM's tend to have better overall support on even "carrier phones", often it'll enable VoLTE, Miracast (from home screen, not just in-app), a plethora of features including multi-user, etc. I'm not surprised they'll pick up on a wider range of sim cards/carriers&subs, since much of it includes end-user contributions. Wouldn't surprise me that custom ROM's would have an improved APN XML file.

I'm willing to bet that many phones (carrier or "international") won't auto-detect a Public Mobile sim even today without a custom ROM.
No idea. My usual approach is to unbox, unlock bootloader, twrp, backup factory rom just in case, migrate to my favorite nightly and never look back.
May 8, 2009
2214 posts
701 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
will888 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 12:30 am
No idea. My usual approach is to unbox, unlock bootloader, twrp, backup factory rom just in case, migrate to my favorite nightly and never look back.
Well said. I'm considering going that route, but for now I'm plenty happy with Motorola's manufacturer skin on Android, and all the features that come with it.

Once I start getting lazy with phone upgrades, I may flash a custom ROM to my daily driver and ride out the phone longer.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13220 posts
3013 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 9:33 am
Well said. I'm considering going that route, but for now I'm plenty happy with Motorola's manufacturer skin on Android, and all the features that come with it.

Once I start getting lazy with phone upgrades, I may flash a custom ROM to my daily driver and ride out the phone longer.
I just put a zoomer sourced SIM into a phone running slim rom. The APN was auto populated with a cityphone APN. The open source APN file is very complete. This proves it.
May 8, 2009
2214 posts
701 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
will888 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2017 12:25 am
I just put a zoomer sourced SIM into a phone running slim rom. The APN was auto populated with a cityphone APN. The open source APN file is very complete. This proves it.
Thank you for confirming. Mind you, zoomer and cityphone are both MVNO's on Robbers network.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13220 posts
3013 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 9th, 2017 9:36 am
Thank you for confirming. Mind you, zoomer and cityphone are both MVNO's on Robbers network.
They run on the same network but they are different as far as APN selection is concerned. The cityphone APN includes the MVNO fields. You get the point, the APN file can be exhaustive if the carrier so choose. They choose to supply an edited file with only their APN. For that they need to be punished (boycott carrier phones).
May 8, 2009
2214 posts
701 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
will888 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2017 10:02 am
They run on the same network but they are different as far as APN selection is concerned. The cityphone APN includes the MVNO fields. You get the point, the APN file can be exhaustive if the carrier so choose. They choose to supply an edited file with only their APN. For that they need to be punished (boycott carrier phones).
Depends on the deal. If I get carrier phones for less than a case of beer, I'll tolerate the edited APN XML file. Besides, I end up selling most of these phones, so it doesn't bother me.
Nov 9, 2009
598 posts
81 upvotes
Picton, ON
batcave wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 12:13 am
Whoa! I bought it for US$180 (with Amazon ads) in the spring!
Nice going batcave. You did amazingly well!
It's a thin line that separates a gourmet from a glutton.
May 5, 2008
975 posts
225 upvotes
Heh. I'm on the opposite side of this watershed.
I find the phones smaller than 5.5" extremely annoying and inconvenient. Using now mostly 6"+ phones.
My cellular-phone dream is to find a 7"+ tablet that can function as a phone :)

P.S. The APN story is curious. I've also come across some APN irregularities.
What Android ROMs does that "universal APN list" dwell in?
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13220 posts
3013 upvotes
Toronto
Tichi wrote:
Dec 9th, 2017 6:54 pm
Heh. I'm on the opposite side of this watershed.
I find the phones smaller than 5.5" extremely annoying and inconvenient. Using now mostly 6"+ phones.

What Android ROMs does that "universal APN list" dwell in?
Our discussion is around how carrier phones come with neutered APN configuration files by malicious intent.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4253 posts
485 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Tichi wrote:
Dec 9th, 2017 6:54 pm

(i) LG Pad 4 8.0 fits your need (whatsapp could be an issue)
(ii)All carriers have in the web site the APN setting as required. Doing that once manually is not exactly a huge deal at all
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call