Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 26, 2012
67 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto

Any good software to learn French?

What are some good software that I can use to learn beginner french?
22 replies
May 28, 2011
484 posts
324 upvotes
Rosetta Stone. I have tried it and it's really good, it's the closest you can get to a true immersion experience.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6364 posts
193 upvotes
I suggest the Pimsleur method. I have it, as well as Rosetta Stone and to be honest with you, I was prepared to like RS better but in fact like the Pimsleur method better. It's all audio but it is actually really good and you just put it on your mp3 and you're good to go. GOOD LUCK with whatever you choose.
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
614 posts
27 upvotes
TORONTO
Instant Immersion French, by Topics Entertainment is a great program to learn French. This 5-CD set is a decent program for the price. A complete immersion program based on the language-learning technique of listening and speaking, it includes games and stories to keep it fun. On the down side, although it's aimed at beginners, it assumes knowledge of basic grammar and pronunciation. Upper-beginner to intermediate level, "fun" approach is particularly suited for younger learners.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
4783 posts
775 upvotes
Try Livemocha. I always recommend it for learning languages without having to pay to buy software. It's community based learning and it's free. Just register, pick a language/level and start. The lessons are well designed, a lot of interactive content, and the written/oral (you'll need a microphone) portions are saved on the site for other members to correct.

http://livemocha.com/
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
10945 posts
14235 upvotes
Montreal
packardbell wrote:
Aug 10th, 2012 1:13 pm
if you are a guy just find some french girlfriend. :)
Rosetta ?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6364 posts
193 upvotes
JustBob wrote:
Aug 10th, 2012 10:27 pm
Try Livemocha. I always recommend it for learning languages without having to pay to buy software. It's community based learning and it's free. Just register, pick a language/level and start. The lessons are well designed, a lot of interactive content, and the written/oral (you'll need a microphone) portions are saved on the site for other members to correct.

http://livemocha.com/
I agree. I used them last year and they are very good! There are a lot of things on the net that are free, this being one of them.
Jan 3, 2007
940 posts
339 upvotes
Toronto
Rosetta = Overpriced, hyped up POS product.

Now to answer your question, the best combination is a solid grammar book, in combination with the audio CDs from Pimsleur. Find someone to practice with ASAP as well.
Apr 26, 2012
420 posts
13 upvotes
I also highly recommend Coffee Break French. It starts with absolute basic phrases but then gradually builds on grammar and vocabulary. I've been listening to it this summer and my French is greatly improved. By the end it gets quite challenging, but you'll have a decent foundation in French.

You'll want to check out French.about.com too, great site, and buy a good French workbook.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13794 posts
1304 upvotes
TellMeMoar is a modern product and pretty good
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
475 posts
35 upvotes
From my opinion, "Talk Now! French" is a nice software to learn french. You can try it.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2010
2764 posts
176 upvotes
Free methods of learning french may be a good start as a resource but would not recommend as your only source. Definately check out some of the softwares mentioned above.