Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Any good wireless router deals?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2015 11:45 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 10, 2003
282 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto

Any good wireless router deals?

I am in search of a good wireless router deal for Black Friday/Cyber Monday.
Hoping the sea of tech-knowledge here can help me out.

Thanks,
26 replies
Feb 21, 2003
779 posts
211 upvotes
Looking for one as well.
Staples will have the ASUS RT-3200 for $249 - $20 coupon over $200 + tax
May 7, 2010
811 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto
Correction: CanadaComputers has the Archer C7 on for $79 right now. You could try PM with staples and apply the $10 coupon. They were not budging last week when trying to PM the Archer C8.

I regret not picking up the Archer C8 last week for $99, as the pickings are looking pretty slim right now for BF router deals.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
2026 posts
615 upvotes
BC
I picked up the C7 and C8 a few days ago from NCIX. Trying to decide which one to go with (Both $99). The C7 I can install DDWRT and the C8 I cannot.
“The difference between humans and animals? Animals would never allow the dumbest ones to lead the pack.”
May 7, 2010
811 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto
insync44 wrote: I picked up the C7 and C8 a few days ago from NCIX. Trying to decide which one to go with (Both $99). The C7 I can install DDWRT and the C8 I cannot.
I'd be curious to hear any first hand comparison you can offer. I've read that the C7 is weak in the 2.4 distance. And the C8 has dual core and beam forming. It should be noticeably better.

The C8 comes in 2nd on smallnetbuilders list of ac1750 routers,and the C7 trails behind at 4th place. DDWRT isn't that important for me, I just want something that is reliable with good distance.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
4234 posts
1962 upvotes
Im looking for an Asus AC68u to replace my Netgear R7000. Apparently it has VOIP issues even with DDWRT
Nov 17, 2015
60 posts
21 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Why are you replacing the R7000? I just picked one up the other day for like $150 and was waiting to confirm there isn't any better deals this week before I open and install it.
May 7, 2010
811 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto
jebise wrote: Im looking for an Asus AC68u to replace my Netgear R7000. Apparently it has VOIP issues even with DDWRT
A deal on the AC68u has been my white whale the past few months. The best I have found is a refurb from nmicrovip for $154.99

Apparently they have gone as low as $139 on them. I plan on checking in with them on BF to see if they have a deal or not.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
4234 posts
1962 upvotes
Doowdee wrote: Why are you replacing the R7000? I just picked one up the other day for like $150 and was waiting to confirm there isn't any better deals this week before I open and install it.
Coz of voip issues, get dead air after 10 minutes with FPL, worked for the last year on tektalk just not FPL. People on here suggested either opening ports or replace the router OTHERWISE a solid router.

Also i want to use merlin asuswrt, amazing firmware and yes i know about xvortex port of merlins
Dec 2, 2012
91 posts
224 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I see that staples currently has the r7000 for 179.99 - 10 with the available coupon (and another 3% ebates).

Has anybody seen the r7000 or the Asus ac68u on sale (other than staples)?
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
3071 posts
1585 upvotes
harv007 wrote: I see that staples currently has the r7000 for 179.99 - 10 with the available coupon (and another 3% ebates).

Has anybody seen the r7000 or the Asus ac68u on sale (other than staples)?
I bought it last Black Friday for $149.99. It regularly goes on sale for less than $179

[url=http://ca.*****.com/NETGEAR-AC1900-Nighthawk-Smart-Router/product/B00F0DD0I6]http://ca.*****.com/NETGEAR-AC1900-Nighthawk-Smart-Router/product/B00F0DD0I6[/url]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
Avoid the R7000 router if you plan to use Freephoneline:
http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18004
and
merged-freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft ... st24104839

You may be forced to port forward. Port forwarding is a security risk, especially if you're having to forward SIP ports.

Mango is a VoIP expert; he's all over the place: Reddit, dslreports VoIP forums, Obihai forums, etc. He works in the industry. If he's saying he would get a different router, then it's time to pay attention.

If you're not using FPL, have at it.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2003
4258 posts
1028 upvotes
GTA
FWIW if you flash it using XWRT it works fine. My parents are using a XWRT flashed R7000 with Carrytel Netis in bridge mode and FPL on an OBi.

XWRT turns the R7000 into an AC68U minus the proprietary Trendmicro accelerated QoS.

http://xvtx.ru/xwrt/download.htm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
zoob wrote: FWIW if you flash it using XWRT it works fine. My parents are using a XWRT flashed R7000 with Carrytel Netis in bridge mode and FPL on an OBi.
That's very useful and good news. Thanks. So they aren't getting dead air after 10 minutes?
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
4234 posts
1962 upvotes
Webslinger wrote: That's very useful and good news. Thanks. So they aren't getting dead air after 10 minutes?
Well mine occurs after the router has had a few days of up time (about 10 days), restarting the router fixes it but then it comes back after a few days. I just recently reset the router to default and reconfigured from scratch (dirty flashed the firmware so it was time to reset), so here's hoping that fixes my dead air issue. Since i'm on DDWRT i do have a script running every week which also might be an issue now that I think about it.

As for XWRT I've been holding off from installing it because it has QoS issues, only reason i set up QoS was for VOIP since the house games and streams allot but at this point it maybe worth going to XWRT and skipping QoS.

Do you have QoS setup? I suspect most don't need it that have decent down/up, which i do.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
jebise wrote:
Do you have QoS setup? I suspect most don't need it that have decent down/up, which i do.
I do despite having 20 Mbps upload. But I'm not using a R7000. I'm using RT-AC3200 and RT-AC66U.
I enabled QoS for my parents as well. But they're using a real Asus RT-AC68U (using official Asus firmware).

I have seen instances of one way audio with FPL when ATAs are turned on before routers are fully up and running (wi-fi running) and have obtained the WAN IP from the modem. Device power on order is Modem-->Router-->ATA
You might get potential UPnP issues otherwise.
Well mine occurs after the router has had a few days of up time (about 10 days), restarting the router fixes it but then it comes back after a few days
I have also observed this issue with someone else after a modem leased a new IP. Is this problem corresponding with a new IP for you?
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
4234 posts
1962 upvotes
There are a few things i'm going try before ruling out hardware issue and shelling out for an Asus. I do not think it's hardware, i more or less suspect it maybe my configuration on the router. I'm also optimistic the obihai 200 may help fix the issue, since my current ata is locked to my prior VOIP provider (can only configure line2).
Webslinger wrote: I have also observed this issue with someone else after a modem leased a new IP. Is this problem corresponding with a new IP for you?
I can't say 100% but I do not believe my WAN IP changed the last time this started happening. I'll make note of my IP now and will see if that is the case.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2003
4258 posts
1028 upvotes
GTA
No 10 minute issues otherwise I wouldn't hear the end of it (or maybe I would... ha).

I believe the older XWRT build 54.2 still contains the adaptive QoS engine.
May 7, 2010
811 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto
Memory Express email just came out. R7000 for $149.99

X6 ac3200 for $239.99

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)