Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 6, 2005
9611 posts
699 upvotes
Toronto

Any guidance for printing?

I've been taking (mainly) landscape photos for a while now, but don't print often and when I do it often ends up being the most convenient option. I've got a new batch of photos I'd really love to display in my home but not really sure where to start. Any advice or guidance on picking materials (paper materials, canvas vs something else, etc.) and display format (so many framing options!)?
13 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3628 posts
830 upvotes
Toronto
Kaitlyn wrote:
Feb 4th, 2018 2:45 am
I've been taking (mainly) landscape photos for a while now, but don't print often and when I do it often ends up being the most convenient option. I've got a new batch of photos I'd really love to display in my home but not really sure where to start. Any advice or guidance on picking materials (paper materials, canvas vs something else, etc.) and display format (so many framing options!)?
I would just grab one of the Canon Pixma Printers from the US, when they bundle the heavy cash rebate.

You end up paying $50-$100 for a Canon Pixma Pro 100 and a bit more for the Pro 10 and Pro 1000.

Or check eBay since there were a ton of printers that came up during the 5D4 and 6D2 bundle deals that flooded the resale market there and here on Kijiji.
Jun 14, 2011
139 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
rebel_rfd wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 9:53 am
I would just grab one of the Canon Pixma Printers from the US, when they bundle the heavy cash rebate.

You end up paying $50-$100 for a Canon Pixma Pro 100 and a bit more for the Pro 10 and Pro 1000.\
How do you get the mail in rebate? Even if you use a delivery drop at the boarder to actually get the printer, don't you need a real US address for them to accept the rebate?

Also, what kind of quality do you really get from these printers? I have the older Pro9000 MK2, and I've always gotten horrible, garish, ugly colours from it, even after buying a colormunki photo to try profiling it. I've used the Canon art paper that was bundled with it as well as a variety of Ilford and Inkpress papers and never gotten an acceptable print from it. I've tried lots of different things, downloaded profiles, custom profiles, letting photoshop manage the colours, letting the print driver manage colours, etc.. I' m not being overly picky, random people I show them to say they're horrible prints. I recently used it to print some invitations with a small photo and someone asked me why the colour was so bad.

I do look at the sample prints at Henrys from these printers and they look great. Not sure why I can't ever get the same results or even something moderately useful.

Since I do some paid work, I use a pro printing service in the US and get absolutely amazing results from the same files that look like garbage on my Canon. Since they're pro, they don't do any form of autocorrect, just send the file directly to the printer but their printers work and produce beautiful prints. I've even used the same papers they do on my Canon and gotten ugly garbage.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1660 posts
437 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Oracle1729 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 10:37 am
How do you get the mail in rebate? Even if you use a delivery drop at the boarder to actually get the printer, don't you need a real US address for them to accept the rebate?

Also, what kind of quality do you really get from these printers? I have the older Pro9000 MK2, and I've always gotten horrible, garish, ugly colours from it, even after buying a colormunki photo to try profiling it. I've used the Canon art paper that was bundled with it as well as a variety of Ilford and Inkpress papers and never gotten an acceptable print from it. I've tried lots of different things, downloaded profiles, custom profiles, letting photoshop manage the colours, letting the print driver manage colours, etc.. I' m not being overly picky, random people I show them to say they're horrible prints. I recently used it to print some invitations with a small photo and someone asked me why the colour was so bad.

I do look at the sample prints at Henrys from these printers and they look great. Not sure why I can't ever get the same results or even something moderately useful.

Since I do some paid work, I use a pro printing service in the US and get absolutely amazing results from the same files that look like garbage on my Canon. Since they're pro, they don't do any form of autocorrect, just send the file directly to the printer but their printers work and produce beautiful prints. I've even used the same papers they do on my Canon and gotten ugly garbage.
Something must be broken in your workflow. Maybe you are mixing up the ICC profiles? I do alot of home photo printing dating back to the HP Photosmart days and always had excellent results. Right now I own the Imageprograf pro 1000 and the result is nothing but outstanding.
Dual XEON E5-2696V4 | ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080Ti OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |1 TB Samsung 960 Pro
FreeNAS & Plex Server XEON E3 1265L V3 | Supermicro X10SAE | 16GB DDR3 ECC | 6 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ2 | 3 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ1
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3628 posts
830 upvotes
Toronto
Oracle1729 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 10:37 am

Just sign up for a cross border address or use a friend in the US to collect your rebate.

It's a prepaid AMEX in US Dollars, or you can just ask for it be cashed out to your bank account after it's processed.

When I was buying Canon gear I always waited for the Canon Cash Rebate deals.

The Pro 100 and Pro 10 do pretty good print quality, the Pro 10 is better if you do B&W.

If you do it for a living I would check out the Imagegraf 1000, with the recent firmware it can do a print size of 17*25.x , so true aspect ratio borderless RAW prints.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3628 posts
830 upvotes
Toronto
traderjay wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 11:59 am
Something must be broken in your workflow. Maybe you are mixing up the ICC profiles? I do alot of home photo printing dating back to the HP Photosmart days and always had excellent results. Right now I own the Imageprograf pro 1000 and the result is nothing but outstanding.
Are you getting 20% waste ink from the constant cleaning/maintenance cycles?

I was looking at adding a Pro 1000.

Any tips of cutting down cost of ink or paper?
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1660 posts
437 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Kaitlyn wrote:
Feb 4th, 2018 2:45 am
Welcome to the world of print - the final step of a photographer's journey. Without this step, your work never comes alive! The paper choice totally depends on the image you are printing and personal preference. Maybe if you can post a few sample photos here I can give you some recommendation.
Dual XEON E5-2696V4 | ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080Ti OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |1 TB Samsung 960 Pro
FreeNAS & Plex Server XEON E3 1265L V3 | Supermicro X10SAE | 16GB DDR3 ECC | 6 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ2 | 3 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ1
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1279 posts
216 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Have one printed at a local photo shop and see how it compares to what you're viewing on the screen. 8x10 doesn't cost much.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3628 posts
830 upvotes
Toronto
Or if you want reach out to local RFDers.

If it's just a few prints maybe they can print one or all of them out for you so you can figure out which printer you might want or not.

The Canon printers can be very loud to keep in a condo.

Epson have the appeal of using roller paper to print out massive panoramas.

I think within this subforum you have access to a Pro 1000 and Pro 10.

Consider the Pro 100 if you aren't printing often since it is very forgiving on maintenance.

They tend to sell brand new for around $250-$350 with paper on Kijiji.

Just keep eye on deals stateside for bundled Camera, Printer and Paper from BH or Adorama.

Most people grab the packages and dump the printers in Kijiji for further savings.

I did that back in December when the 5D4/6D2 deal came with a free Pro 100 and Canon Lustre Pack.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1660 posts
437 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rebel_rfd wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 12:00 pm
Are you getting 20% waste ink from the constant cleaning/maintenance cycles?

I was looking at adding a Pro 1000.

Any tips of cutting down cost of ink or paper?
Not to my knowledge but prolonged idling (72 hours or more) will trigger a small cleaning cycle. If you print a photo every 24 hours it will never enter a cleaning cycle. This is way pigment printer works unfortunately to prevent clogging. But the ink tank is huge on this thing, even after showing low inks on all cart (first set of setup ink), it took TONS of print to fully deplete them.

As for saving on paper, they key is proper color management so you can have the screen match the print - this greatly reduces unnecessary proofing.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6783 posts
549 upvotes
Appreciate the tip on the Pro 100, I need to print some small signs so this will double well. Found one on kijiji for $230 taxes in from a clearance store, they are bestbuy returns. Guy had 4-5 others. Prints good after a couple tries, getting the paper feeding in straight hasn't been perfect which you can tell on borderless prints on.

Picked up paper from staples to test, 13x19 20 sheets was $45! Amazon gets it down to under $1 per sheet though. Going to preorder inks and get some regular non-photo paper to do non-primo prints on.

From my research it appears you can tweak more in windows, I'm currently using the plugin through PS on osx.

Thanks again
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2325 posts
327 upvotes
If you're not a frequent printer then just print at Costco. The quality is more than good enough. They can offer prints up to 24x36.
Sep 1, 2017
36 posts
38 upvotes
I don't print very often either (a few batches per year) and most of the time I end up printing some large-ish ones. Any good photo printer would cost FAR too much to run. Something like an imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 (around $1500 with taxes) might need a couple ink refills (around $800 for all 11 cartridges) per year... Then stock some nice paper in different sizes, and spend a bunch of paper/ink calibrating it all... It's just not worth it IMO.

My local pro lab prints 8x10's for about $1, 16x20's for about $8 and 24x36's (which the PRO-1000 can't even do) for about $25. The results are always spot-on (compared to my IPS monitors, calibrated with a Spyder 4). There's many other good photo labs that turn out good results at decent prices (and that will provide you their ICC profiles).
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1660 posts
437 upvotes
Toronto, ON
zmaw1235 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 4:02 pm
I don't print very often either (a few batches per year) and most of the time I end up printing some large-ish ones. Any good photo printer would cost FAR too much to run. Something like an imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 (around $1500 with taxes) might need a couple ink refills (around $800 for all 11 cartridges) per year... Then stock some nice paper in different sizes, and spend a bunch of paper/ink calibrating it all... It's just not worth it IMO.

My local pro lab prints 8x10's for about $1, 16x20's for about $8 and 24x36's (which the PRO-1000 can't even do) for about $25. The results are always spot-on (compared to my IPS monitors, calibrated with a Spyder 4). There's many other good photo labs that turn out good results at decent prices (and that will provide you their ICC profiles).
Indeed but sometimes you gotta pay to play. For my Pro 1000, I think the ink will last me more than 1 year based on the volume I print. No calibration is needed with ICC profiles unless you have some real exotic paper that needs custom profiling. In addition, I've already made a few hundred bucks printing for other photographers and friends etc so my printer will actually become a profit center soon :)

Papers aren't that expensive if you buy them on sale and no lab or third party printing service will offer the types of unique paper that you can do DIY. For example, I have a roll of very nice Japanese washi paper that produces outstanding image quality and is translucent that can be easily stretch mounted:

Printing is definitely not for everyone and it really depends on how passionate you are. But nothing beats the experience of seeing your work getting printed and holding the physical copy after a few minutes.