• Jul 14th, 2019 2:16 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 6, 2004
575 posts
52 upvotes
Vancouver

Any hamster guru?

My girlfriend has a Syrian (Golden) hamster and I am just curious about the maintenance of bedding. I have done some moderate reading and youtubing about the material and I'll likely go with the combination of aspen bedding material and some of those soft material made out of paper. Girlfriend said she has tried those before and it's troublesome because her hamster pees very often so she needed to change those bedding like once/twice a week, which is what struck me because in my research people seem to have these beddings as permanent bedding, obviously there would be some sort of bedding material replacement here and there but once/twice a week seem very excessive....

What are you guys doing for bedding? How often do you have to change or replace the material? Any online vendor recommended?

Thanks in advance! Cheers.
9 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
10902 posts
5713 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Aspen bedding is good. We usually change the bedding every week.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Jan 6, 2004
575 posts
52 upvotes
Vancouver
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 2:41 pm
Aspen bedding is good. We usually change the bedding every week.
yes, that's one of the recommended ones. No soft cotton or fiber as hamster might tangle, I guess depending on the vendor but I heard some are okay.

will start with a larger container and enough bedding for burrow first. thanks for feedback!
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
10902 posts
5713 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Whatever you do, don't use sand, bad for the hamsters lungs.

[OP]
Jan 6, 2004
575 posts
52 upvotes
Vancouver
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 3:10 pm
Whatever you do, don't use sand, bad for the hamsters lungs.
actually, that's the other thing I forget to ask... sand bath. A lot of YouTube give pointers on picking the right type of sand, children's play sand for example is one, since it isn't the dusty type. Is it all that necessary to have a sandbox for these little critters?
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
10902 posts
5713 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Never had given sand baths before, just changing bedding once a week is good enough so hamster don't live in their own filth.
Szeto wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 5:02 pm
actually, that's the other thing I forget to ask... sand bath. A lot of YouTube give pointers on picking the right type of sand, children's play sand for example is one, since it isn't the dusty type. Is it all that necessary to have a sandbox for these little critters?

Jul 25, 2008
845 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
I’ve owned quite a few hamsters back in the days. I recommend (the soft material). Its a bit more expensive but less dusty. What I did was lay the bottom of the cage with a plastic sheet or you can try using a dog pee pad. This also protects cage from pee buildup. I also would spot clean their pee area. Hamsters tend to pee in one spot of the cage (usually in corner). I would remove the bedding in that area and replace with new one every several days and also where most poo was found. That way you could get away with cleaning their cages maybe every 2-3 weeks. When it was time to do a complete clean, just wrap up everything into liner or pee pad and toss in garbage. Just make sure they don’t eat the plastic/pee pad
[OP]
Jan 6, 2004
575 posts
52 upvotes
Vancouver
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 5:43 pm
Never had given sand baths before, just changing bedding once a week is good enough so hamster don't live in their own filth.
Didi_beee wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 12:40 pm
I’ve owned quite a few hamsters back in the days. I recommend (the soft material). Its a bit more expensive but less dusty. What I did was lay the bottom of the cage with a plastic sheet or you can try using a dog pee pad. This also protects cage from pee buildup. I also would spot clean their pee area. Hamsters tend to pee in one spot of the cage (usually in corner). I would remove the bedding in that area and replace with new one every several days and also where most poo was found. That way you could get away with cleaning their cages maybe every 2-3 weeks. When it was time to do a complete clean, just wrap up everything into liner or pee pad and toss in garbage. Just make sure they don’t eat the plastic/pee pad
I got a huge bin for her and laid a good 5 inches of Aspen under. I haven't gotten her many toys yet, trying to find more hide hut for her and The closest pet store didn't have what I want. The aspen is amazing compared to what she had before... I don't even smell any odor anymore but I plan on spot cleaning as well. Do you guys shop online for new decoration/toys? thanks again for your inputs! much appreciated
Images
  • upload.jpg
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
10902 posts
5713 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Nah, didn't have much toys. Just had empty roll of toilet paper (2 of them) and hamster will like to crawl inside. Also few scrunched up tissue papers, they like to chew them up for fun

[OP]
Jan 6, 2004
575 posts
52 upvotes
Vancouver
haha yeah, that's what she had before. Just lots of paper towels and toilet roll to play with. Girlfriend was like you treat the hamster like it is your baby, lol. Planning on doing some DIY structures so she can explore and climb and what not. Feel free to share pics of your lovely little furry friend Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes