Parenting & Family

Any interest in your kids attending college in the US?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2017 1:34 pm
[OP]
Jul 21, 2012
6 posts
3 upvotes
TORONTO

Any interest in your kids attending college in the US?

I've been forwarded info on an upcoming seminar in Toronto later this month on US college applications with speakers coming from Columbia, Wharton and Carnegie Mellon, so I was wondering if anyone here is also interested.

I know there is a strong interest among private school students, with about 20% of graduates heading over to the US each year. What's the case with students at public high schools? I'm guessing it's much lower but I was wondering what the general interest levels are with admission to not just the Ivy League, but other top US universities as well.

Link here (I was sent the promo code: CRIMSON).
13 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3261 posts
308 upvotes
Toronto
20% of private-school graduates going to US universities is an incredible number (would love to know where you found that information). For public high schools I would say that the figure is a few percent at most, and I'd bet a good proportion of that relates to athletic recruitment.

When it comes to quality of undergraduate education, I'm not convinced that top US universities have more to offer than top Canadian ones.
[OP]
Jul 21, 2012
6 posts
3 upvotes
TORONTO
I actually found it on the private schools' own websites where they talk about their graduate profile, and the number of students who go to the US each year.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15887 posts
4747 upvotes
Ottawa
On a scholarship yes, otherwise I'm perfectly fine with any school here in Canada.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3261 posts
308 upvotes
Toronto
canadiann wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 6:48 pm
I've been forwarded info on an upcoming seminar in Toronto later this month on US college applications with speakers coming from Columbia, Wharton and Carnegie Mellon, so I was wondering if anyone here is also interested.
I just had a look at the link -- the speakers are current students or alumni at those universities. The company seems to be a for-profit organization that helps students through the application process.
May 12, 2014
875 posts
350 upvotes
Montreal
JHW wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 10:51 pm
When it comes to quality of undergraduate education, I'm not convinced that top US universities have more to offer than top Canadian ones.
It's not about the quality of education, it's about who you meet.

Zuckerberg wouldn't have founded Facebook if he hadn't gone to Harvard and met the W twins. Etc.
Jul 5, 2004
22211 posts
2101 upvotes
Sure, as well as many other countries. I want my kid to see the world at a young age before family and career commitments slow him down. I don't want him to go to school close to home, I want him to move away and see what other parts of the country/world have to offer.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
[OP]
Jul 21, 2012
6 posts
3 upvotes
TORONTO
FrancisBacon wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 8:52 pm
It's not about the quality of education, it's about who you meet. Zuckerberg wouldn't have founded Facebook if he hadn't gone to Harvard and met the W twins. Etc.
I think this is 100% accurate. These universities offer more than just classroom education. It's the strength of the network (and alumni network) that separates them from the rest.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3261 posts
308 upvotes
Toronto
FrancisBacon wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 8:52 pm
It's not about the quality of education, it's about who you meet.
I agree completely, but many people seem to think that US universities offer a superior undergraduate education experience to Canadian universities. Hence my comment.
Sep 19, 2013
953 posts
275 upvotes
Winnipeg
canadiann wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 9:38 am
I think this is 100% accurate. These universities offer more than just classroom education. It's the strength of the network (and alumni network) that separates them from the rest.
JHW wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 1:58 pm
I agree completely, but many people seem to think that US universities offer a superior undergraduate education experience to Canadian universities. Hence my comment.
Agree with both perspectives. I have lived in US and studied in Canada. I think good universities in both countries are comparable to each other. But US is far more expensive. So one needs to make informed decision and not just assume that quality of education is better in US. My son is very young, but roughly I would do undergraduate in Canada and if he decides to pursue specialized post-graduation (MBA, etc), then have a preference for a good US university.
[OP]
Jul 21, 2012
6 posts
3 upvotes
TORONTO
amitdi wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 12:22 pm
Agree with both perspectives. I have lived in US and studied in Canada. I think good universities in both countries are comparable to each other. But US is far more expensive. So one needs to make informed decision and not just assume that quality of education is better in US. My son is very young, but roughly I would do undergraduate in Canada and if he decides to pursue specialized post-graduation (MBA, etc), then have a preference for a good US university.
I grew up in the states and definitely agree...though I'm biased. But I guess that the general lack of information is the biggest problem when it comes to Canadians perceiving the value of a US education. Cost is the first thing anyone looks at...so going there does seem too expensive (why pay $50K per year when I can pay $15K?). But as said above, it really boils down to how much more you can potentially get out of a (top) US university education vs. university in Canada. Is the difference in cost worth it for the better network and opportunities you gain?

Of course that's not to say universities in Canada aren't excellent (UWaterloo is fantastic)...but they just don't offer what some of these world-class universities do.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9586 posts
1245 upvotes
Toronto
canadiann wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:12 am
I grew up in the states and definitely agree...though I'm biased. But I guess that the general lack of information is the biggest problem when it comes to Canadians perceiving the value of a US education. Cost is the first thing anyone looks at...so going there does seem too expensive (why pay $50K per year when I can pay $15K?). But as said above, it really boils down to how much more you can potentially get out of a (top) US university education vs. university in Canada. Is the difference in cost worth it for the better network and opportunities you gain?

Of course that's not to say universities in Canada aren't excellent (UWaterloo is fantastic)...but they just don't offer what some of these world-class universities do.

You also have to factor in the family thing. Many people who grow up here with family expect to stay here, so there's less incentive to try to get that US education and more global opportunities it may present. Also, Canada's mid-town mindset leads to people here having 'accounting' (or 'finance') as their aspiration. Not to be some great leader, entrepreneur, Game changer, etc.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3261 posts
308 upvotes
Toronto
canadiann wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:12 am
grew up in the states and definitely agree...though I'm biased. But I guess that the general lack of information is the biggest problem when it comes to Canadians perceiving the value of a US education. Cost is the first thing anyone looks at...so going there does seem too expensive (why pay $50K per year when I can pay $15K?). But as said above, it really boils down to how much more you can potentially get out of a (top) US university education vs. university in Canada.
I think it's an individual preference and depends heavily on the field of study. My own take, based on the limited but first-hand experience of the schools I've attended, is that the quality of undergraduate education at top American schools is no better than at top Canadian schools. I agree that the network possibilities are superior at top American schools (and there are real reasons for this -- greater "alumni pride" at US schools, much greater regional diversity, a more pedigree-focused general culture etc.) But for undergraduates who know they will go on to do graduate degrees (as is "de rigeur" in many fields) I actually don't think that the undergraduate network matters as much.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13198 posts
674 upvotes
No interest what so ever. Now if they want to go...fine. They can then pay for it as well.