Cell Phones

Any iPhone/Mac users who have gone Android?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2014 7:55 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8940 upvotes
Toronto
If I went from an iPhone 4 to a Galaxy S4, I would prefer the latter as well. The iPhone 4 is four generations out of date now.

In my opinion, a hackintosh is far from the best of both worlds. There are issues running OS X that you have to deal with, that you don't need to deal with running a real Mac. A hackintosh is at best a geek hobby machine. The best of both worlds is to buy a real Mac and a separate PC, albeit a higher cost.

Or you can just buy a Mac and run Windows on it on a separate partition, but that's also a bit of a hassle too.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2013
1640 posts
442 upvotes
Mississauga
EugW wrote: There are issues running OS X that you have to deal with, that you don't need to deal with running a real Mac.
Like what?
The only issue I've had in 18 months is a stupid Thunderbolt update that won't install because my mobo doesn't have a thunderbolt port, and I constantly have a badge on the App Store. No other issues. Period.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2008
1655 posts
1602 upvotes
TDot
One thing I can't stand with my ipad air and ios in general is the lack of a DEDICATED BACK BUTTON!
Nov 2, 2010
9 posts
3 upvotes
I had been a PC user for most of my life. Heck, even during my first day of class in Grade 11 where I was stuck using a Mac for comp tech I vowed never to use a Mac again. Except, I went and bought a Mac in 2011 at the end of my university life simply because it was a Mac (and my brother does not know how to use Macs. Hence, my Mac is saved from him). It was relatively easy to use and it has been really nice to me even after these years.

On the tablet side of things, I own an iPad Mini 2 with Retina. It was a gift. At first I didn't think it was necessary but then it started growing on me. I really liked the amount of apps it has. Plus, it has an amazing display. I use it on a daily basis.

On the phone side, I've used Android for a few years now. I really like the customization of it and the fact that it has a 'back' button. Plus, the iPhones were always just too expensive for me to consider them. I will be grabbing the Xperia Z3 on Friday though since my S2 LTE is slowly dying away and unable to hold a charge.

I recently did build a PC though simply because of the games I wanted to play. My Macbook Pro had great performance but I hated the fact that Apple's OS/software is incompatible with the hardware after a few years. My Mac kept shutting off randomly, sometimes 3 times in a row within a minute of restarting because my hardware was not compatible with Mountain Lion, which I needed to play Diablo with my friends. I have since then hard to hard-reset my Macbook pro because there is no easy way to revert it back to Snow Leopard. It runs like new again with no issues.

I am very open to the two different types of systems. It really comes down to preference. I went with things that worked for me at the time and I am finding a balance with both. Android/Windows and Apple products have their own things about them that make them amazing. I just have a preference for certain things about them that make me stick with them.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1692 posts
289 upvotes
Calgary
conix67 wrote: I used to be an iPhone user (up to iPhone 4) and moved to Galaxy Note 2 (subsidized from Rogers, choice was mainly due to price and screen size, and I really wanted to use the stylus) which has died recently and now on OPO.
I am similar to this situation. My first smartphone was Iphone 3, then 4S. from that I went to Android, S3/N4 and it was a bit of an adjustment, but overall there was no comparison to the 4S. I was hooked on the bigger screens, the ability to change keyboards, swype etc. I also have 2 macbooks, and an iMac. Hubby uses an iPad 1st gen which is a huge PITA to use, laggy as fuq. I'm thinking the ipad is a write off, so time to get him a good 10 inch android tablet for xmas. I'm sick of apple really. Don't feel like paying a 'premium' for non premium products.

I've outgrown the S3/N4 and am now on an Oppo Find 7a and I LOVE this freaking phone. It has some shades of apple in the OS (Color OS) it's clean and simple and has things like app encryption and call blacklisting built into the os. It's the same size as Note 3, but I just love the clean non touchwiz OS. I have put Nova launcher on it and personalized it to my liking, but the native launcher with the live weather is just amazing. When it starts to snow, snow falls on the apps, and piles up it's very cool, and more than a few people have commented on it. Battery life is good, has a super fast charger but it's bulky so I don't carry it with me. It has a spare battery which I take with me hiking because the camera is amazing with the ability to take 50megapixel photos....You can install an SD card so that takes care of the paltry 16G internal memory.

i agree with the others on here, it's so personal that you have to figure out what is good for you. The 1+1 is another good option.

I like the look on people's faces when they ask me what kind of phone I have and I say 'it's Chinese brand you've probably never heard of' as they are oohing and ahing over the phone. Not one person that I've showed it to has heard of Oppo...

If you are at all tech savvy I would stay with Android...
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8940 upvotes
Toronto
apoorv wrote: Like what?
The only issue I've had in 18 months is a stupid Thunderbolt update that won't install because my mobo doesn't have a thunderbolt port, and I constantly have a badge on the App Store. No other issues. Period.
These are the exact types of issues I'm talking about, plus the fact that you have to select a machine that probably is the most compatible with the OS X install that you choose to install. That of course doesn't guarantee compatibility, when the next major update of OS X lands.

Some people have more issues than others, but the fact of the matter is you do have issues that other people don't have to deal with.

Yours is not the best of both worlds. It is a kludge. In your case it's s better than average kludge, but it's a kludge nonetheless.

Furthermore if you do hackintosh with a laptop, then you're often stuck with inferior hardware, particularly the trackpad and screen.

If you really want a true Apple Mac experience then you should buy an Apple Mac.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2013
1640 posts
442 upvotes
Mississauga
Yes, I definitely don't have the "true" Mac experience because I can upgrade the internal hardware anytime and at my convenience, and pay less for better specs and features.
OR I can pay more, and not be able to upgrade the RAM or SSD on my MBP because you know, it's Apple.

Take your pick.
PS: If 1 badge in the dock is an "issue" with an otherwise flawless computer, you're gonna have a tough life with computers my friend.
PPS: I've gone from Snow Leopard to ML to Mavericks to Yosemite (with each incremental update in between.) Not a single issue till date. And I made my Hack for 800$ which at the time was the same specs as a $2k Mac. Tell me how I've suffered in 2 years and not enjoyed the Mac experience!
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2013
2525 posts
1046 upvotes
Burnaby
was IOS for 3 phones (3G, 3GS, 4) . got tired of having to jailbreak and the constant IOS updates to stop Jailbreaking. iTunes sucks for having to do anything between a PC and the phone.
games were good, few crashes, customization was abysmal. backups and restores seldom worked flawlesly.

Started on Android with Nexus S on Mobilicity. underwhelmed. ugly looking seemed overly complex, few of the same apps i loved from iOS.
Galaxy S2 was not much different returned the phone as Android, to me was still in its infancy.

Galaxy S2X - this phone rocked. Penta band BIG gorgeous screen compared to the iPhone good for big hands and fingers. Removable storage. after rooting and custom ROMS i was hooked. did everything iPhone did (i Was praying iPhone would goto AWS someday, but came too late) the customization and freedom to do as i wished was amazing. phone was fast, OS was simple and always evolving via custom roms. Plug into a PC, and its just like window, drag and drop. one of the best features - removeable storage. add $128 GB for less than $100. no prorietary cables, OTG support, $2 HDMI output cables, USB memory stick support.

IMO Apple got left behind. however Apple's market isnt exactly for people who want cutting edge tech. The want phones that look nice, simple to use and are difficult to mess up.

that's not me.

I now have 5 android devices and my wife took the last iPhone. She's resistant to change.

Apple needs to make an iPhone "Advance" model that's for the more tech savvy crowd.

add on: I don't care if the phone is made of baloney and cheese, i'm not paying for "premium feel" i'm paying for function. Metal? bend it, and it stays bent. plastic bounces back.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2002
1514 posts
16 upvotes
North York
Was on iPhone 5 and moved to OPO due to price/size/specs. Would have went iPhone6 plus but didn't feel like it justifies a $7-500 premium.

Very happy so far.
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2004
1149 posts
57 upvotes
Was on iPhone 4s and patiently waited for the iPhone 6. Moved to OnePlus One instead due to price mostly. For simplicity, I prefer IOS over Android, but I have no regrets on my switch.

The $500 that I saved is going to my PS4 fund. :D
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3849 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
I went from an all Apple ecosystem to no Apple products. I'm pretty big on customization so it was natural for the android switch. I have no hesitation to switch back to an iphone but I dont think I would anytime soon from what I'm seeing lately. As for apps, you can easily get a huge library of android apps for cheap/free since Amazon offers one free paid app daily and Humble Bundle do cheap game bundles.

On another note with Nexus 5 on Lollipop, it's pretty amazing. I'm on the Developer's Preview and been playing on it since it came out. Its literally the fastest and smoothest OS I've used. The new design is pretty awesome as well. They've finally ditch Dalvik and went to ART as well. If price wasn't an issue, why not go for the Nexus 6? It's still a bit cheaper than the iPhone, and you can still sell it for a decent price if you find you don't like it after.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)