Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Any nest thermostat deals for Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2013 10:17 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 28, 2013
3 posts

Any nest thermostat deals for Canada?

I've seen a lot of US sites are selling the Nest Thermostat for regular price but including a $50.00 gift card for the store (Amazon.com, and a few others) does anyone know any deals like this that are available for Canadians?

Thanks!
20 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1865 upvotes
Ajax
Nothing. Is Nest really that much better than say a high end unit by Honeywell around $200?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21317 posts
10909 upvotes
Oakville
Are there any Honeywell units that are learning units, like the Nest? I'm genuinely curious. Nest has a pretty interesting paradigm, one that I didn't think was being copied by its competitors yet.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18196 posts
36555 upvotes
Scarborough
I think Apple had a gift card with purchase promo on Black Friday but that was a one day deal. Not sure if they're doing anything today or not.
RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Apr 12, 2013
727 posts
680 upvotes
BC
Anon

I bought mine at Lowes online with the 10% off first purchase and free shipping, saving $25. On the fencve so far as to their value, far less customisation than I expected and humidifiers are a pain to control.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
1397 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
Does Nest allow you to control the thermostat using wifi? I'm looking for a thermostat that allows me to change the temperature using my phone, for example 10 minutes before I am home turn on the heat, or if I am late to turn off the heat.

Edit: Seems as though it does, but kinda pricey. Is there a cheaper brand someone could recommend?
Jun 26, 2003
15 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
wearysky wrote: Are there any Honeywell units that are learning units, like the Nest? I'm genuinely curious. Nest has a pretty interesting paradigm, one that I didn't think was being copied by its competitors yet.
I find the nest to be over priced and over hyped. What exactly are you looking for from the nest? It doesn't learn on it's own via AI special sensors. You have to set the themometer every time to make it learn. How is that different from you making a time change or override with a regular thermometer? None, you still have to make that trip to the thermometer. (Well maybe not, you can whipe out your smart phone and make the changes). The only difference is that the nest remembers your overrides and set it as new temperature instead. If your kids/inlaws have a different temperature preference for the whole house and keeps dicking around with it. It's actually pretty frustrating and completely useless. That "interesting paradigm" becomes a "paradox" instead :evil: .
Banned
Aug 3, 2006
251 posts
135 upvotes
Calgary
If you already have a programmable thermostat, and program it properly... there's really no point in getting a nest thermostat. the savings will be very minimal.
Apr 12, 2007
226 posts
50 upvotes
BC
Check the wiring diagrams in your house before purchasing either one.. I find Nest wiring more compatible with my house.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21317 posts
10909 upvotes
Oakville
norder69 wrote: I find the nest to be over priced and over hyped. What exactly are you looking for from the nest? It doesn't learn on it's own via AI special sensors. You have to set the themometer every time to make it learn. How is that different from you making a time change or override with a regular thermometer? None, you still have to make that trip to the thermometer. (Well maybe not, you can whipe out your smart phone and make the changes). The only difference is that the nest remembers your overrides and set it as new temperature instead. If your kids/inlaws have a different temperature preference for the whole house and keeps dicking around with it. It's actually pretty frustrating and completely useless. That "interesting paradigm" becomes a "paradox" instead :evil: .
Oh no, I agree with you to a degree. I couldn't justify purchasing a Nest, I just find it super interesting. But I'm happy enough with the free programmable thermostat that I got for signing up for the Peaksaver program.
Oct 12, 2012
14 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
I bought mine in the US during a trip. Let me tell you something. This baby is totally worth the price.
Dec 27, 2009
530 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
aspirin wrote: I bought mine in the US during a trip. Let me tell you something. This baby is totally worth the price.
Can you help us out by explaining why?
Jan 11, 2010
788 posts
24 upvotes
I got one last week and i love it so far. I like the fact that I can check on the house over the internet and adjust temperature. It also seems very accurate and has a fan option that just spins the fan to move the air around the house without cooling or heating should help save energy in the summer with the ac. It probably saves as much energy as any other thermostat out there but I got it for the ease of programing and the set it and forget it option. That alone is easily worth the extra $50 over any other thermostat and it's small and made out of steel and glass all the other ones are cheap plastic and are huge
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1865 upvotes
Ajax
cheapgeek wrote: I got one last week and i love it so far. I like the fact that I can check on the house over the internet and adjust temperature. It also seems very accurate and has a fan option that just spins the fan to move the air around the house without cooling or heating should help save energy in the summer with the ac. It probably saves as much energy as any other thermostat out there but I got it for the ease of programing and the set it and forget it option. That alone is easily worth the extra $50 over any other thermostat and it's small and made out of steel and glass all the other ones are cheap plastic and are huge
Fan option is on every thermostat. You either have it on all the time or only to come on when heat or ac kicks in.

Does NEST do anything for these new homes with complete with ERV in the HVAC system?
Jan 11, 2010
788 posts
24 upvotes
mrtvgame wrote: Fan option is on every thermostat. You either have it on all the time or only to come on when heat or ac kicks in.

Does NEST do anything for these new homes with complete with ERV in the HVAC system?
The literature doesn't mention ERV but it would be a good idea for them to add it there is some humidifier /dehumidifier option. But how many homes in Ontario have ERV? How many people would be willing to pay extra for that option?? I had one in my old house along with a top of the line HVAC system and people didn't care about it. I even had an agent tell me that the furnace must be old :)

The nest basically sold me on the looks and the fact that they had super easy installation instruction. It replaced a newer touch screen thermostat that was a nightmare to program. It also has a lock out feature which some might like, and yes I'm aware that other have them too. The Honeywell equivalent is about the same price and huge and plastic this thing blows it out of the water in terms of looks and has the same features.

I am not a fanboy and I don't like to endorse products but so far so good and the installation was super easy. I will see how it does after a month of use.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10407 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto
Costco has the Honeywell WiFi thermostats for $108, good price! if anyone interested for the alternative
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Jul 3, 2013
377 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
Nest is overprice, but I generally think it's worth it.
It looks awesome. The app is awesome and you can web log in to adjust things and view details.

Only thing I'd suggest is that you have a C wire for the nest or generally any of these new smart thermostats. Even though it can work without it, people have had issues with the voltage spiking and trying to turn on/off your cooling/heating while the thermostat is set to off.

The autoaway feature is fairly good since sometimes you forget to turn it off if you go out of town or what not. Plus many other things.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2006
2170 posts
671 upvotes
BC
I have the Honeywell from Costco. I love it. If I want to override when I am coming home early or late I just log into the app on my phone/ipad/pc
Nov 13, 2009
878 posts
242 upvotes
Buy it with Paypal might be the only way (5% cash back, note that only 2nd and any purchases after are eligible). See the Paypal thread in the Hot Deals forum.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)