Food & Drink

Any new restaurants in Mississauga or Etobicoke lately?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2017 12:47 am
Penalty Box
Oct 26, 2007
882 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
Osmov's (Streetsville fame) has a new location in Heartland food court, the food places next to Hockey Life.
[removed]
A guide for the everymans guide to investments
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2004
1408 posts
89 upvotes
Mississauga
ar2020 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2017 4:36 pm
Finally Papa Johns is coming to Mississauga! Saw the sign at the Eglinton and Confederation plaza.
Yeah, I saw this too en route to my dentist in the same plaza. Good pizza option.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16732 posts
1726 upvotes
GTA West
I went to the new Barburrito in the No Frills plaza at Mavis & Eglinton. Without exaggeration, I can tell you I have been to this plaza a minimum of 300 times, and I'm glad to see the quick-service food options evolving.

It's good, but still not superior to the first Hurontario & Bristol location.
At the new Mavis location, food quality is pretty similar to the Bristol location, however, they've got only about 10 seats in the restaurant. Also, the Mavis location does not have those additional topping sauces next to the cash register that you can load up on to spice up your burrito.

So if you are doing takeout only, the Mavis location will be pretty fine for you. But the boys and I will keep going to the Bristol location because it has a lot of seating, less congested parking, and better extras,
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2624 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto
rammingman wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 8:18 pm
http://www.nationsfreshfoods.ca

Nations supermarket open Feb 1,2017 at Winston Churchill and Eglinton plaza near McDonalds.
I was in the area so thought I check it out.

Firstly, the place was so crowded on a weekday as if everything was free but probably because it was their opening week so curious shoppers.
The take out section is really really reasonably priced. Frankly, so reasonably priced that I got suspicious.

They had 3 pcs of fish with fries on special for a dollar off at $3.99. You can easily get full.
They also had shrimp tempura 6pc for ~$1.50 which was again on special.

The western buffet was I think around $7/lb and it included steaks among many other options.
Salad bar was $5 something and along with usual salad they had salmon salad, tuna salad, shrimp pasta etc
They also had good prices for sushi.

I obviously did not try most of the things but fish and chips were ok, there was'nt too much oil dripping off it which was good but the fish was pretty bland. Comes with a tartar sauce and coleslaw.
Good for the people living in the area. Grocery prices were also pretty good just like other chinese grocery stores.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5864 posts
791 upvotes
Mississauga
Union Chicken is open at Sherway, even serving breakfast and biscuits and gravy.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5864 posts
791 upvotes
Mississauga
bsobaid wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 2:46 pm
I was in the area so thought I check it out.

Firstly, the place was so crowded on a weekday as if everything was free but probably because it was their opening week so curious shoppers.
The take out section is really really reasonably priced. Frankly, so reasonably priced that I got suspicious.

They had 3 pcs of fish with fries on special for a dollar off at $3.99. You can easily get full.
They also had shrimp tempura 6pc for ~$1.50 which was again on special.

The western buffet was I think around $7/lb and it included steaks among many other options.
Salad bar was $5 something and along with usual salad they had salmon salad, tuna salad, shrimp pasta etc
They also had good prices for sushi.

I obviously did not try most of the things but fish and chips were ok, there was'nt too much oil dripping off it which was good but the fish was pretty bland. Comes with a tartar sauce and coleslaw.
Good for the people living in the area. Grocery prices were also pretty good just like other chinese grocery stores.
I went to Nations after work, there was still parking space. The place is huge! Huge food counters, theres a ramen counter. I didn`t know where to start looking. The pasta counter was giving free samples.

Since this place is owned by Oceans, I won`t be surprised this place will get dirty and smelly very quickly.

I bought too much food...
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4087 posts
388 upvotes
Mississauga
Raggie wrote:
Feb 14th, 2017 5:21 pm
I went to Nations after work, there was still parking space. The place is huge! Huge food counters, theres a ramen counter. I didn`t know where to start looking. The pasta counter was giving free samples.

Since this place is owned by Oceans, I won`t be surprised this place will get dirty and smelly very quickly.

I bought too much food...
i was really disappointed actually.... besides too many people, i don't see much difference between oceans and nations....alot of the same products... you need to pay for bags at nations...

i hope this will mean less ppl at oceans since i will stick with oceans in future...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5864 posts
791 upvotes
Mississauga
Ducky wrote:
Feb 14th, 2017 7:03 pm
i was really disappointed actually.... besides too many people, i don't see much difference between oceans and nations....alot of the same products... you need to pay for bags at nations...

i hope this will mean less ppl at oceans since i will stick with oceans in future...
I was at Oceans yesterday... The stores really smells...

I'll go to Nations on occasion since it's not that close to me. T&T is closer.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3480 posts
174 upvotes
Raggie wrote:
Feb 14th, 2017 7:11 pm
I was at Oceans yesterday... The stores really smells...

I'll go to Nations on occasion since it's not that close to me. T&T is closer.
The guy that own/started T&T sold the company to Loblaws i think, and then took the money and opened up Oceans
Jul 14, 2006
869 posts
100 upvotes
Electricute wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 7:58 am
The guy that own/started T&T sold the company to Loblaws i think, and then took the money and opened up Oceans
The Oceans chain existed long before T&T sold to Loblaws.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3480 posts
174 upvotes
13inches wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 8:42 am
The Oceans chain existed long before T&T sold to Loblaws.
i dunno. i can't remember where i heard that but that they were the same people that opened both
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16732 posts
1726 upvotes
GTA West
Cross-posting from the shopping discussion thread. The boys and I went to the Nations grocery at Winston Churchill and Eglinton:

I got the dim sum. All of the stuff pictured here was $17 after tax.

To be honest... it was average. Better than the frozen grocery store dim sum, but really not that good to be honest. I was really thirsty afterward and got a headache.
I don't think I'll return to their dim sum.

Also, their mens washroom was closed at ~12:45 PM. Not a good time for a food court to close their washrooms.

Upsides: The store was pretty clean and well-organized. It didn't have that sketchy feel of Oceans.

Photo:
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5864 posts
791 upvotes
Mississauga
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 11:49 pm
Cross-posting from the shopping discussion thread. The boys and I went to the Nations grocery at Winston Churchill and Eglinton:

I got the dim sum. All of the stuff pictured here was $17 after tax.

To be honest... it was average. Better than the frozen grocery store dim sum, but really not that good to be honest. I was really thirsty afterward and got a headache.
I don't think I'll return to their dim sum.

Also, their mens washroom was closed at ~12:45 PM. Not a good time for a food court to close their washrooms.

Upsides: The store was pretty clean and well-organized. It didn't have that sketchy feel of Oceans.

Photo:
That's what I thought too. I had to drink alot of water after.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2624 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto
Visisted the place again as I was in the area again but this time I did not do any takeouts because I was in the area for dinner but their prices were ridiculously good.

Their buffet was only 5.49/lb and it included steaks among 2 dozen other dishes.

They also had some crazy prices in their other take out section on shrimp and bbq items.

I dont know if those were weekly specials or regular prices.

I only did groceries. What I like is the isles are not crowded and they leave enough space for shoppers in the produce section as well.

Though I almost always go to non-ethnic grocery stores and only rarely visit ethnic stores but what I also found interesting is the staff is very multi-cultural, unlike other ethnic stores.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2012
2973 posts
279 upvotes
Mississauga
I went to Nations a week ago or so , the place has been open less then 6 months and to me it felt like its been open 6 years, food was decent enough however for brand new grocery store it felt dingy and not well kept.