• Apr 21st, 2017 9:36 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 22, 2015
534 posts
142 upvotes

Any nightshift workers?

Just had a good interview but it ends up the jobs is permanent night shift :( 11pm to 7am with weekends off. I know night shift is bad for your health and all but I want to take this job for the experience and stay for at least a year or two then quit if I can't get onto days or afternoons. It also comes with great pay and health benefits.

With that being say, how should I adjust my sleep schedule?? Try to sleep as soon as get home, so realistically sleep from 9am to 5pm, or try and stay awake until later in the afternoon and sleeping from 1pm-9pm or so? I'll also try and keep that sleep schedule throughout days off as well so that I shift my circadian rhythm.

If I stick that a good sleep schedule it shouldn't be that bad for your health? At-least not as bad as nurses and doctors who have to shift from days to nights on a weekly basis!
35 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7652 posts
839 upvotes
Markham
Other than your health, would it affect your family life? wife, kids, etc....
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Jan 22, 2015
534 posts
142 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 2:13 pm
Other than your health, would it affect your family life? wife, kids, etc....
I'm a single 20 something dude who already moved across the country so I have no family here anyway. But I'll easily be able to afford to fly home whenever I want with the pay that this job offers.

And if this job doesn't work out I can easily quit as I have nothing holding me down and have work that I can fall back onto.
Penalty Box
Dec 2, 2007
812 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
I used to work night shift. I caused accelerate aging of the body. I don't do it anymore. Your body age faster than normal.
[OP]
Jan 22, 2015
534 posts
142 upvotes
picard12 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 2:50 pm
I used to work night shift. I caused accelerate aging of the body. I don't do it anymore. Your body age faster than normal.
What was your sleeping pattern like?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7652 posts
839 upvotes
Markham
Unless the position is very attractive or salary is significant higher, I would stick with normal hours.
You are at your 20s and moving to a new place, you may have to meet new people and have a social life.

Working reversing hours is difficult, you may hate it after a month or two.
On the bright side, you will have no traffic going in and out to work and you will have a lot of personal time during the day.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4683 posts
435 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn't do it unless it pays at least 2.5x what I'd make normal days.

If you still want to, I know most younger guys sleep the 9-5 hours and older guys do 1-9. The 1-9 allows you to get errands and housework done in the morning as they get daylight time even in the winter.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
[OP]
Jan 22, 2015
534 posts
142 upvotes
Not quite double but close. I make roughly 40K a year but this job will put me at 60K + OT to start. should be making over 80K after a few years. It also includes benefits and pension.

And I moved here about 5 year ago so I already have somewhat of a social life.
Dec 28, 2010
263 posts
85 upvotes
I loved it. Did it for 7 years. Aging quicker? What does that mean? As long as you get a good chunk of hours sleep! With the experience I moved on to a better paid job. See it as an investment, go for it!
Actions speak louder than words
[OP]
Jan 22, 2015
534 posts
142 upvotes
VESTEGAARD wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 6:01 pm
I loved it. Did it for 7 years. Aging quicker? What does that mean? As long as you get a good chunk of hours sleep! With the experience I moved on to a better paid job. See it as an investment, go for it!
Thanks, glad someone could share a positive experience! And that's my plan, to eventually move on to a better job. But if I like it a lot I can always stay.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1342 posts
74 upvotes
richmondhill
back in my younger days did the same shift at a factory 11-7
was ok...my sleep went from approx. 8pm to 2 pm maybe once in a while slept in the evening for an hour...good thing was more relaxed in the midnight shift..no big bosses around..little longer lunch as less supervisors around..did it for a year
Penalty Box
Dec 2, 2007
812 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
You guys don't understand how a night sleep is critical to the human body. The body only go into repair mode at night. Day sleep don't help. You can google it. I met people who did night shift for many years. They age visibility to my eyes. Immune system also get weaker. There are many studies of night shift work.
[OP]
Jan 22, 2015
534 posts
142 upvotes
picard12 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 6:48 pm
You guys don't understand how a night sleep is critical to the human body. The body only go into repair mode at night. Day sleep don't help. You can google it. I met people who did night shift for many years. They age visibility to my eyes. Immune system also get weaker. There are many studies of night shift work.
Very true. That's one thing that worries me. But if I can't get onto day shift after a year or two I'll probably quit and do something else, even if it pays less. I mainly want the experience and money in the mean time. I'll be sure to save enough money to float on if I do quit.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1638 posts
167 upvotes
Canada
you haven't even gotten an offer yet!!

But since you're young with no commitment, you should try it.
Last edited by bluenose2 on Apr 17th, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9406 posts
1180 upvotes
Toronto
It will lead to weight gain (or weight yo yo) and depression. It may not be easy to 'climb' out of it. But since you're young, and keep it short-term, it might be ok. Just make sure to have an exit plan.