Any nightshift workers?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2017 9:36 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 15, 2017
700 posts
465 upvotes
Thousands of people work night shifts. I use to work mornings / evenings / night shifts - that was a challenge. When I did night shifts, I always came home and went to sleep. I was always too tired to stay up and run errands. I would then sleep until 5 or 6 pm and then have a few hours before going to work. I found the key was getting my sleep. A good, solid 8 hours throughout the day. I tried staying up once on a day off. I think I made it until 3 pm and then konked out and sleep until 7 am the next day.
Penalty Box
Nov 1, 2001
1553 posts
67 upvotes
I have worked primarily nights for many years. When I was younger I loved it. Got off work and have he whole day to do whatever you want.
Over the last 5 or 6 year I have developed severe insomnia and couldn't sleep on the shift.
I was rotating between 4 different sleeping pills and finally got a medical accommodation so am now working 3 - 12 hour days on weekend shift.
I've been off the shift for 2 1/2 months and have been off sleeping pills for almost a month.
I know many people who would not work any other shift but it can cause issues...
I will probably get a clearance to work the odd shift but will wait another few months before I do that.
Apr 20, 2014
141 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto, ON
picard12 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 6:48 pm
You guys don't understand how a night sleep is critical to the human body. The body only go into repair mode at night. Day sleep don't help. You can google it. I met people who did night shift for many years. They age visibility to my eyes. Immune system also get weaker. There are many studies of night shift work.
How does the body knows what time ofnthe day it is?
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
1620 posts
339 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Azeez35 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 8:04 am
How does the body knows what time ofnthe day it is?
Circadian rhythm; you've never noticed your internal clock before?

Once I have a sleep schedule set I will usually wake up +/- 2 min of my alarm clock regardless of whether it's set or not. When I start a task I will remember to check the time usually pretty close to half an hour intervals. And when the pizza is in the oven and I go off to do something, a wave of anxiety will hit about 30 seconds before the timer runs out.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2012
1273 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
My friend works in building maintenance and works night shifts all the time. It's his favorite. The boss isn't around, less work, and daily life is better.

He can do his shopping at like 10am when everyone else is at work so shorter lines, doesn't need to take days off or half days if he wants to do something in the afternoon like go to an interview/appointment/etc, doesn't have to deal with the hassle for the simple things like going to a government office to renew his health card, etc. He was also studying at the same time so to study in the morning/afternoon while the rest of his family wasn't at home was a great way to focus, etc.

As long as you still get the 6-8 hours of sleeps, you'll be fine for the most part. Your body will get used to it.
Sep 17, 2017
38 posts
6 upvotes
I used to work night shifts in my early 20s and the results were insomnia, loss of appetite and cluelessness. But then I left the job after an year.

Right now, I'm sitting at my desk reading articles trying to figure out how to cure insomnia...