Automotive

Any other Urban SUV models out there besides Nissan Juke and Subaru Crosstrek?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2015 9:23 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
2677 posts
173 upvotes
GTA
starrlamia wrote:
Dec 10th, 2014 11:04 am
Kia Soul, great for short people, pretty comfortable, lots of space, lots of gadgets
+1 for the Soul, but I don't know where the comment about being great for short people come from. I'm 6'2" and when I sit in it I can't even have the seat all the way back as I feel like I'm too far away from the pedals/steering wheel!
Aug 16, 2011
839 posts
244 upvotes
Kitchener
it's great for the seating position, I'm 5' 4" and love it, in sedans I feel like I need to sit on a phonebook lol
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18354 posts
1595 upvotes
canabiz wrote:
Dec 9th, 2014 9:44 pm
Thanks for the feedback guys, the wife is not too keen on domestic cars so we will have to eliminate the Jeep, Dodge, Chev and other domestic brands :)
The Jeep Renegade is built in Italy if that makes a difference.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1624 posts
346 upvotes
OP mentioned Outback...if it's considered "Urban SUV", none of others mentioned here would be able to compete. But it's built here in NA
Oct 24, 2009
686 posts
541 upvotes
Vancouver
canabiz wrote:
Dec 9th, 2014 5:22 pm
We are in the market for a second car and the wife has settled on the Urban SUV. So far we have identified 2 models that we both like: Nissan Juke and Subaru Crosstrek.

I am just wondering if there is any other import, non-luxury Urban SUV out there that you can recommend? We are planning to test drive them soon and appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.

P.S. We may as well test drive the BMW X1 but it is out of our league ;)
Mini Countryman S. Pricier than the Juke but drives better and much nicer interior. Get a simple tuning module from Burger Motorsports (5 min install/removal) and it'll put out nearly 220hp.
Banned
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8485 upvotes
GTHA
absolutcamper wrote:
Dec 11th, 2014 9:05 pm
Mini Countryman S. Pricier than the Juke but drives better and much nicer interior. Get a simple tuning module from Burger Motorsports (5 min install/removal) and it'll put out nearly 220hp.
Does this drink premium unleaded or regular unleaded gas?
Oct 24, 2009
686 posts
541 upvotes
Vancouver
tk1000 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2014 9:17 pm
Does this drink premium unleaded or regular unleaded gas?
89 minimum 91 recommended. Makes even more power with 93 and up though.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9811 posts
2955 upvotes
Ottawa
Just a quick follow-up: We test-drove the Crosstrek and Juke yesterday and the Crosstrek wins hands-down! I thought about importing one from the States but it's built in Japan so we have to pay duty and that will negate any saving we can get, especially with the current brutal exchange rate.

The dealer offers us a demo model (Sport Package) with very low mileage for about $30K all in, after taxes, fees and incentives. We are not in a hurry to buy so I'll keep my eyes peeled on Kijiji and Trader.ca for a 2013 or 2014 models...the 2015 ones should be arriving at the dealership soon and we may see more older models on the market.
[removed]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
2182 posts
396 upvotes
Guelph
Nissan is notorious for transmission problems. I'd avoid the Juke.

Nissan Juke:
http://www.thecarconnection.com/overvie ... _juke_2015

Subaru XV Crosstek:
http://www.thecarconnection.com/overvie ... strek_2015

I'd recommend the Toyota Rav4:
http://www.thecarconnection.com/overvie ... _rav4_2015

Or the Mazda CX-5, they look great:
http://www.thecarconnection.com/overvie ... _cx-5_2015
Macreo Photography
Jun 5, 2011
846 posts
165 upvotes
LONDON
canabiz wrote:
Dec 30th, 2014 9:01 am
Just a quick follow-up: We test-drove the Crosstrek and Juke yesterday and the Crosstrek wins hands-down! I thought about importing one from the States but it's built in Japan so we have to pay duty and that will negate any saving we can get, especially with the current brutal exchange rate.

The dealer offers us a demo model (Sport Package) with very low mileage for about $30K all in, after taxes, fees and incentives. We are not in a hurry to buy so I'll keep my eyes peeled on Kijiji and Trader.ca for a 2013 or 2014 models...the 2015 ones should be arriving at the dealership soon and we may see more older models on the market.

isn't the crosstrek just a toyota matrix with subaru guts?

If so, its not worth 30K. Buy a used AWD matrix for $15K and get a much more reliable engine (not that the 2.0 subby engine is all that bad but it has nothing on Toyota's 4 cylinder mills when it comes to reliability).
Oct 9, 2014
397 posts
49 upvotes
Winterpeg
I've been considering the same kind of vehicles. My top choice right now is the Mitsubishi RVR. The juke is too ugly for me to ever own.
I'm waiting til later in the year so I can see the cx3 since I've got a friend that works at Mazda he could get me a decent deal hopefully.
Mar 5, 2009
295 posts
25 upvotes
Montreal
absolutcamper wrote:
Dec 11th, 2014 9:05 pm
+1 Im driving one now, quite happy with it except mine doesnt have the sport button :( . Other then that its just big enough to deal with 95% of our usual errands, and thats with two baby seats in the back. Plus its AWD and drives like a gokart, love it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9811 posts
2955 upvotes
Ottawa
RMachucaA wrote:
Dec 30th, 2014 2:40 pm
+1 Im driving one now, quite happy with it except mine doesnt have the sport button :( . Other then that its just big enough to deal with 95% of our usual errands, and thats with two baby seats in the back. Plus its AWD and drives like a gokart, love it.
Are you putting in premium gas? I know gas prices are low(er) right now but it's not going to be like this forever.

I am not a car guy, per se, so no I don't believe/want to put premium gas in my vehicle and that is why we have ruled out the Countryman.
[removed]
Mar 5, 2009
295 posts
25 upvotes
Montreal
yes, I work from home, so gas prices dont affect me much.