Pets

any place to buy a reasonably priced decent cat tree?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2018 12:11 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3663 posts
1174 upvotes
Mars

any place to buy a reasonably priced decent cat tree?

not petsmart canada or amazon.ca, ideally in Canada, or in US if the price in canada, after conversion and tax and duties, is still much higher. A medium to large cat tree. any place to look for deal or coupon for such thing, has there been deals during black friday or xmas during past years? thank you in advance for info.
20 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21213 posts
6983 upvotes
GTA
Looking for the same, my kittens are 7 months now and starting to learn that they can actually jump up onto the dining table and dresser. So far they haven't figured out the kitchen counters yet, but I need to find a tree that they'll prefer instead of the counter.

From an older cat tree thread, most of the retail units are made from beaverpuke (particle board) so they are not very strong. Custom made ones may be the way to go.

best-cat-tree-2117063/
Jan 24, 2013
361 posts
178 upvotes
Ontario
I got my cat tree a couple years ago from Little Whiskers. They are based out of London ON and have free shipping. I live in the area and was able to go to their showroom and get a discount on an in-stock model. Reasonably priced and a Canadian company with some neat looking trees.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3663 posts
1174 upvotes
Mars
Nguygie wrote: I got my cat tree a couple years ago from Little Whiskers. They are based out of London ON and have free shipping. I live in the area and was able to go to their showroom and get a discount on an in-stock model. Reasonably priced and a Canadian company with some neat looking trees.
prices are good, but i'm not sure for a 70" tree is that base and distribution of the tree weight stable enough? I used to have a about 40"-50" 2-level tree, my cats are adults, 2 are quite big. sometimes when they made a dash jumping on the tree, the tree just tipped over. I had to put 2 dumbbells on the base then. the tree was bought from petsmart for a freaking C$99.99 + tax, and sold for half price to someone had a small skinny cat.

I prefer a big base like this

http://www.gopetclub.com/cat/cat-tree-81-up/fc06.html

or 2 separate bases linked together like this

http://www.gopetclub.com/cat/cat-tree-81-up/fc02.html

but this site is in US, a bit hassle and not cheap. And I don't need that big.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1473 posts
1208 upvotes
British Columbia
I'd check Craigslist and Kijiji -- you might find one someone purchased that their cats won't use so it has little to no wear at a fraction of the retail cost.

I got a massive 500 dollar cat tree for 50 dollars off Craigslist and the place it was located was closer than a drive to any pet store in the area! Their cat never used it and they wanted it gone ASAP as they were moving. The thing is like a statement piece in the room it's so big.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3663 posts
1174 upvotes
Mars
Karala, I'm very curious how your cat tree looks like.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1473 posts
1208 upvotes
British Columbia
forgetpwd wrote: Karala, I'm very curious how your cat tree looks like.
Similar to this one: http://mrpets.ca/cat/scratching-posts/s ... e-5ft.html

But 2 feet taller and thus much wider on base and also all the tiers are wider as well. Very sturdy; I can sit and climb up it as well. One thing that makes it so expensive is that it is made with high quality carpet, which I think is a must. The cats love it. I "hide" toy mice on the underside of the upper most level (there are artist folds in the carpeting you can wedge the toys between) and the cats get to climb all the way up then jump through the air to swat out the toys.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12797 posts
3471 upvotes
Karala wrote: Similar to this one: http://mrpets.ca/cat/scratching-posts/s ... e-5ft.html

But 2 feet taller and thus much wider on base and also all the tiers are wider as well. Very sturdy; I can sit and climb up it as well. One thing that makes it so expensive is that it is made with high quality carpet, which I think is a must. The cats love it. I "hide" toy mice on the underside of the upper most level (there are artist folds in the carpeting you can wedge the toys between) and the cats get to climb all the way up then jump through the air to swat out the toys.
$250-$500 for that (even if it was double the size) is way too expensive. The top 3 mark ups in the world are bottled water, perfume and drugs... Cat trees don't seem that far off.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1473 posts
1208 upvotes
British Columbia
joeyjoejoe wrote: $250-$500 for that (even if it was double the size) is way too expensive. The top 3 mark ups in the world are bottled water, perfume and drugs... Cat trees don't seem that far off.
Cat trees in general are very expensive. I'd never buy the one I have at full price, but it is a very well made cat tree and at the 50 dollars I paid is surely less than the cost of parts and labor.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3663 posts
1174 upvotes
Mars
Karala wrote: Cat trees in general are very expensive. I'd never buy the one I have at full price, but it is a very well made cat tree and at the 50 dollars I paid is surely less than the cost of parts and labor.
that price is insane. but $50 is a steal.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1628 posts
953 upvotes
TORONTO
There's a guy I found on Kijiji like 5 years ago who makes them. Bought a decent sized one for like $60... which would go for like $200+ at any retail store. It was carpeted and had sisal on the main post for my cat to scratch.

I'm not sure if he's still around. He was located in Mississauga, so it might be a bit of a drive, but well worth the savings.

Just skimmed Kjiji and there are a lot of decent cat trees for around $100. Not bad considering retail stores charge an arm and a leg.
Apr 10, 2011
875 posts
809 upvotes
We got the "Toronto" cat condo from Little Whiskers and it wasn't the best quality. The carpet material was easily scratched off by my kitties and would end up EVERYWHERE in the house. We threw it out maybe two years later because it started looking really shabby. You get what you pay for. If you're in a pinch and need something relatively cheap though, it'll do the trick.....
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2650 posts
1789 upvotes
Edmonton
G & E Pharmacy
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Dec 5, 2009
133 posts
36 upvotes
Guelph
Check Kijiji or the Letgo app. We got ours for $40. PetSmart sells the same one for $160+. I thoroughly cleaned it before letting my cat climb it.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21213 posts
6983 upvotes
GTA
I ended up buying a used but great condition tree.

Need to redo the scratch posts soon.
Images
  • upload.jpg
Aug 11, 2004
391 posts
69 upvotes
coriolis wrote: I ended up buying a used but great condition tree.

Need to redo the scratch posts soon.
The material used on these post does not last long as you may have noticed. But I'm sure you got a good deal on it. :)
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21213 posts
6983 upvotes
GTA
accat13 wrote: The material used on these post does not last long as you may have noticed. But I'm sure you got a good deal on it. :)
Yes, the material isn't the more common type, this one is brittle and chips easily. The cats don't even use it but even slight brushing against it results in dirty black specs everywhere, especially with the 'white' cushions thats included. What an oversight on the design. Do you have any recommendations on what to use to cover it?
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12797 posts
3471 upvotes
coriolis wrote: Yes, the material isn't the more common type, this one is brittle and chips easily. The cats don't even use it but even slight brushing against it results in dirty black specs everywhere, especially with the 'white' cushions thats included. What an oversight on the design. Do you have any recommendations on what to use to cover it?
Sisal rope. Lots and lots of sisal rope.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7946 posts
3603 upvotes
HomeSense, Especially right now with their Winter Clearance event. Good quality cat trees.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)