• Dec 2nd, 2014 9:17 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 4, 2012
77 posts
6 upvotes
TORONTO

Any problems with Rogers Nextbox 3

Rogers is offering me a Nextbox 3 free rental. I already own a 8300PVR.

How is the Nextbox 3, I briefly tried the Nextbox 2 and it was junk, very laggy and slow and unusable.

Is the Nextbox 3 fast and reliable, just wanted to get some feedback.

Also I assume the nextbox 3 is connected to the modem by a network cable? Is this right?

Thanks
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
No issues with my NB 3.0. I'd reccommend it over the 2.0. It's quicker then the 2.0 but still could be a little more fluid. Mine has been very reliable, I haven't had any issues.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
The 8300 PVR was known for hard drive issues and it has a 160 gig hard drive. The Nextbox 2 running the same older software as the 8300 gives you a better picture and can have a 160, 320, or 500 gig hard drive and is a smidge faster that the 8300. The NextBox 3 has intel Puma processor, records 8 programs at once, has a terabyte hdd and is waaay faster than a 2.0 channel to channel running the new software.

On demand is better with the new software because all the stuff is populated when you get to those channels. Favourites can be programmed to let your toggle between a full guide or one only of your favourites. Info gives you more info instead of repeating the title of the program. Search allows you to search for titles or actors and beats the stuffing out of the old software. The box can be told to turn on via the power button, the power and any numeric button, the power and any TV related button. Perfect for those that get their TV on and their digtal box off because they inadvertently press the wrong buttons on their remote by being elderly or sitting/sleeping on the remote. The new software guide can be told to eliminate all unsubscribed channels.

Sometime a few months back they changed the storage format from Mpeg2 to Mpeg4 doubling the capacity of the terabyte hard drive.

You will never get a digital box with the zero lag of analogue because it buffers the info and does error checking/correction before you see the picture. This is why if you yank the cable out, you have a frozen image on the screen.

No, the Nextbox3 is not connected to a modem. It has one built in because it is IPTV capable.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/c ... screen.pdf

I'd use my 8300 to hold up my Christmas tree...
Jun 4, 2012
77 posts
6 upvotes
TORONTO
Thanks

The lag I was talking about, was when changing channels. With the nextbox 2 sometimes it would take 4-5s just to switch channels. This did not happen with the 8300. And my signal was strong and good SNR.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
yarrlodr wrote: Thanks

The lag I was talking about, was when changing channels. With the nextbox 2 sometimes it would take 4-5s just to switch channels. This did not happen with the 8300. And my signal was strong and good SNR.
Because the 8300 runs old SARA software. The Nextbox2 running old SARA software is faster than the 8300. My NextBox 4642HD ran SARA for almost a year and then the new software but it slowed down. The Nextbox three has way more processor power than the Nextbox2. Better signal isn't going to change the speed of the box unless it was really brutal signal to begin with.

Also I forgot to mention, the pic in pic on the newer software is split screen, not the small floating screen like on the 8300.

8300 Specifications
Powerful 32-bit RISC Processors Features two 250-MHz (500 MIPs total) processors to perform tasks and
launch applications quickly
8642 Nextbox 2.0 Specifications

Dedicated Dual 400 MHz VLIW CPU Processors AND Dedicated 250 MHz DSP CPU Processor

Running the same software the Nextbox 2.0 would win every time old or new. You are comparing two different softwares and blaming the digital box.