Sports & Recreation

Any reasonable Brazilian Jiu Jitsu places in GTA?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2018 8:38 am
[OP]
Banned
Sep 20, 2016
76 posts
11 upvotes
evenme wrote:
Nov 29th, 2016 10:20 am
Are you student? If so, Toronto BJJ has student discount that might be around your budget. I'm not exactly sure how much, but talk with them.
I went in to talk to them. They are probably the second most expensive club that I took prices from and I did not like the vibe at all.
Jun 18, 2015
20 posts
Toronto
User499372 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2016 11:57 am
I went in to talk to them. They are probably the second most expensive club that I took prices from and I did not like the vibe at all.
That's odd, they definitely are not that expensive and is near your budget for what I pay (student's discount and I didn't buy their gi). Since you're starting, we have white belt classes every single day, a bit crowded, but definitely very welcome class, 2 floors with simultaneous class (like: advanced and beginners), women only class, kids/teens class, plus no gi and kickboxing some days. We might not be the cheapest gym for sure and it might change from people to people, but definitely one of the best around. And if you just called, they probably gave you the default price, without any negotiation. You can go there for one month completely free and check the price after trying.
[OP]
Banned
Sep 20, 2016
76 posts
11 upvotes
evenme wrote:
Nov 29th, 2016 4:15 pm
That's odd, they definitely are not that expensive and is near your budget for what I pay (student's discount and I didn't buy their gi). Since you're starting, we have white belt classes every single day, a bit crowded, but definitely very welcome class, 2 floors with simultaneous class (like: advanced and beginners), women only class, kids/teens class, plus no gi and kickboxing some days. We might not be the cheapest gym for sure and it might change from people to people, but definitely one of the best around. And if you just called, they probably gave you the default price, without any negotiation. You can go there for one month completely free and check the price after trying.
I went in .I was quoted 167 + tax so how are "they near"? What exactly do you pay? Makes me wonder if you work for them, you sound like an advertisement.
Jun 18, 2015
20 posts
Toronto
User499372 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2016 11:02 am
I went in .I was quoted 167 + tax so how are "they near"? What exactly do you pay? Makes me wonder if you work for them, you sound like an advertisement.
I don't work for them, I train there. I pay 107, like I said, near 100. I had some discounts exactly because I talked with them and negotiated.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2553 posts
663 upvotes
Montreal
Whoa, BJJ and Muay Thai is expensive in the GTA.. In Montreal it's like 70 to 85$ per month tax included.

Anyway, that TorontoBJJ place looks pretty solid according to what I read. I'd go for that OP.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3741 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto BJJ is the top gym in terms of BJJ competitors in the city. That said, if they have priced you out, outside of the core there are cheaper options.

Xtreme Couture is more no gi focused (they have gi classes but they are small). They also have other classes and a full fitness facility. It is cheap if you let them know ahead of time what you know in regards to what others are paying. You have to be willing to walk if they won't give you a decent price but you can get 12-15ish months for 499+tax. The level isn't the highest but the price is right and worth checking out.

In the east end, Greenwood BJJ is around $100/month flat. They don't do contracts and you pay as you go. It is a much smaller team but the level is high, the instruction is great and there is no BS with grading fees or any of that. Another option certainly worth looking at. Exclusively BJJ though.

Action and Reaction is also probably in the $110/month range and a great option. Great competition focused school and probably the 2nd best in the city.
[OP]
Banned
Sep 20, 2016
76 posts
11 upvotes
phomp wrote:
Dec 13th, 2016 12:11 pm
Toronto BJJ is the top gym in terms of BJJ competitors in the city. That said, if they have priced you out, outside of the core there are cheaper options.

Xtreme Couture is more no gi focused (they have gi classes but they are small). They also have other classes and a full fitness facility. It is cheap if you let them know ahead of time what you know in regards to what others are paying. You have to be willing to walk if they won't give you a decent price but you can get 12-15ish months for 499+tax. The level isn't the highest but the price is right and worth checking out.

In the east end, Greenwood BJJ is around $100/month flat. They don't do contracts and you pay as you go. It is a much smaller team but the level is high, the instruction is great and there is no BS with grading fees or any of that. Another option certainly worth looking at. Exclusively BJJ though.

Action and Reaction is also probably in the $110/month range and a great option. Great competition focused school and probably the 2nd best in the city.

Thanks, is Action /Reaction that low? I thought he was more pricey.

Also, Toronto BJJ does better because of the sheer size of competitors they can chose from. The quality of the avg. student there is not that impressive.
Jun 18, 2015
20 posts
Toronto
User499372 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2016 11:49 pm

Also, Toronto BJJ does better because of the sheer size of competitors they can chose from. The quality of the avg. student there is not that impressive.
I think at any BJJ gym the average student will be just that, average. BJJ is hard, it'll most people give up during the first months/years. Not every person is doing it for being top line competitor, most people are there to have fun and challenge themselves. :)

I recommend the OP to try as many as he can. It'll probably be free for the first ones (few classes or the whole month), mostly if he doesn't have any idea of what it is (or just watched MMA fights). Try it, check if you prefer one method or the other. Each gym is different, I didn't like some I went at all, others had problems I could live with, others I didn't like the instructors, so just go and try it around, find the one that best fits you.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3741 posts
33 upvotes
User499372 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2016 11:49 pm

I believe it is in that range. My information may be out dated but I know a few there that are paying in that range. It would be worth checking out.

The quality of the average student in any BJJ gym is not that impressive to be honest because most people are bad at BJJ and don't put the effort in to be good, I am including myself in this. Toronto BJJ still has the toughest average room on sheer volume of good competitors. For someone looking to roll at a non competitive level, all gyms offer a pretty low level average student but at least in a bigger room you get a full range of options.

I'm not advocating the OP to go there or anything, I don't train there, just a statement on the level. Having a lot more students and competitors gives you not only a better range of levels to work with but also body types and range of people.

Another good thing that TBJJ has that a lot of other gyms do not is a white belt program to go over the fundamentals and basics.

As an aside, sheer size of the gym/team doesn't always mean a high level though. I look at a team like 10th Planet with a lot of competitors and yet still has not presented a representative level of competitors to reflect the size of the whole team. Given what resources they have, you would think they would have more ADCC competitors and no gi world champs.
evenme wrote:
Dec 14th, 2016 12:56 pm
I think at any BJJ gym the average student will be just that, average. BJJ is hard, it'll most people give up during the first months/years. Not every person is doing it for being top line competitor, most people are there to have fun and challenge themselves. :)

I recommend the OP to try as many as he can. It'll probably be free for the first ones (few classes or the whole month), mostly if he doesn't have any idea of what it is (or just watched MMA fights). Try it, check if you prefer one method or the other. Each gym is different, I didn't like some I went at all, others had problems I could live with, others I didn't like the instructors, so just go and try it around, find the one that best fits you.
This. Being the best or top gym isn't often important, especially when starting out. It is more about fitting in, getting a good vibe, fair pricing, schedule, good beginner instruction, etc...

It is always advisable to check around and take advantages of the free trials offered. I'd also suggest giving most gyms more than one class before passing judgement as a whole (except on price and schedule of course).

I'd argue being the top competitive school and having the toughest is room is great and all but when your a beginner this doesn't matter and it begins to matter when you start to compete.

Also, if you are looking for 80-100 month, I'd say in the GTA area the best chance of getting that is at Xtreme Couture in Etobicoke. They are about a 10 minute bus ride south of Kipling station. If you can pay up front you should be able to get around 499 (if I recall) for 12-15 months, and I wouldn't pay more than that. There are pros and cons IMO. Pros are they have a full fitness facility, sauna, lots of classes in fitness and martial arts, are cheap, etc...

Edit: Most of the cons aren't as applicable any more as they do have a beginner program.
Last edited by phomp on Dec 16th, 2016 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 11, 2012
157 posts
8 upvotes
Oshawa
If you are willing to travel to Oshawa, try Justin Bruckman's gym
Old accountants don't die, they just lose their balance.
Any advice provided here is worth exactly what you have paid for it.
Jan 22, 2007
549 posts
12 upvotes
Does anyone know the pricing at grants/rival mma gym ? Ive called them and no one picked up/called back. I even visited once and there was no one to talk to.

I am also looking for continue bjj and this is the closest gym to me, as i just dont have time to travel downtown or to other parts of the city.
Toronto
Nov 29, 2016
29 posts
1 upvote
Off topic, but still BJJ:
I have a 2 yrs old kid, looking for "parent and tot" program.
We live in Mississauga, Hurontario/QEW.

I really like the idea of BJJ or Ju-do
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
4569 posts
680 upvotes
Thornhill
User499372 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2016 12:31 pm
Still looking. Might move to Judo as it's cheaper....or Sambo but those Russians seem very uninviting.
I did it for 2 years in the past. You just have to earn their respect with your hard training and dedication. Once they see that, they will melt away - at least that's how it happened in my case and a number of other non-russians who came after. I sort of get their mentality - many people do this for cardio, fund and don't put any effort yet a lot of Russians are really into it so it's a "canadian" mentality overall(imho). Seen it many times there when while East Europeans would keep going, Canadians would give up half way because it was too hard - yet it wasn't hard at all,but they couldn't overcome it. It was great to learn from ex- special forces as you learn not just roll on the ground but the real world stuff how to use and defend against guns,knives,etc. It's a different way of training than pounding each other every day.
Sep 23, 2013
328 posts
164 upvotes
Waterloo, Ontario
I'd advise against going too far distance wise to find a gym. I guarantee you distance will become an excuse in the future to stop going to classes. Keep trying to find something in closer proximity within your budget. Good luck.
Steven Raheb.
Life and Health Insurance Agent.
Licensed with 8 companies, access to nearly a dozen more.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1104 posts
144 upvotes
Markham, ON
Are there official annual Jiu Jitsu tournament in the GTA? Perhaps going to an official competition or grading would allow you to find the experts.

The last Jiu Jitsu gym advertisement I saw was a cheapass lawn sign with a freaking phone number.