Personal Finance

Any recommended income tax forums out there?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2013 10:12 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2583 posts
798 upvotes
Toronto

Any recommended income tax forums out there?

Does anybody know of any good forums/message boards out there with knowledgeable people for income tax advice?
I don't seem to be able to find any decent ones and google doesn't bring much up.
6 replies
Jan 14, 2013
26 posts
2 upvotes
The government's CRA website will answer most (if not all) of your questions. That way it is accurate information. You can call the 1800# too.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2583 posts
798 upvotes
Toronto
sunny6 wrote: The government's CRA website will answer most (if not all) of your questions. That way it is accurate information. You can call the 1800# too.
The CRA web site did not have complete/useable instructions for my specific situation.

Tried the 1800 number earlier this evening, but the person that I talked to was not very clear and did not sound very confident in what they were telling me. I may call again tomorrow and hopefully get a more knowledgeable person.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2011
1860 posts
370 upvotes
Vancouver
The forums at turbo tax. Pretty sure it's free for all. Lots of accountants on there. Also pretty fast responses now that everyone is doing 2012 taxes.
Feb 18, 2013
170 posts
210 upvotes
Ottawa
The CRA's publications are decent. Their General Inquiries line is quite brutal, frankly. What's your question?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2583 posts
798 upvotes
Toronto
OMCA2013 wrote: The CRA's publications are decent. Their General Inquiries line is quite brutal, frankly. What's your question?
My situation is related to filling out an income tax return with respect to the Disability Tax Credit.

My mom became disabled(lost her sight) and we submitted a T2201(Disability Tax Credit Certificate) last year.
On that certificate(Part A), we named my sister as the person claiming the disability amount since she is taking care of mom.
We received a letter back from the government stating that it was accepted.

Now that I am doing my Mom's income tax, I am trying to figure out what lines to complete.

The question specifically is:
Since my sister was originally named on the T2201 as the person who will be claiming the tax credit, I am not sure If I first have to have an amount on line 316 of my mom's Schedule 1 form and then transfer the credit to my sister(where she will enter it on line 318)?...or not enter it all on my moms return since the T2201 certificate already shows what my sister will claim it?

I am using Turbo Tax and it has also generated a DTC(Disability Tax Credit) form since we have answered the question of whether she is disabled. The basic amount on line 11 of this form has been has been moved by Turbo Tax to line 316 to the Schedule 1 as I mentioned.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2008
6048 posts
1945 upvotes
GTA
If you call the individual enquiries line you can always ask to speak to a senior agent or ask for a reference if you are not convinced about the answer you are getting.

Due to their call patterns they only need people from like January to end of June so there are a lot of new contract staff who may not have dealt with this before, senior agents usually have more experience and are there all year round