Parenting & Family

Any reputable monitoring service for the elderly?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 12th, 2017 1:11 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1223 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto

Any reputable monitoring service for the elderly?

Anyone use a monitoring system for their elderly parents? You know...the 'I've fallen and can't get up' devices.
It's more for the home, in case of an emergency (i.e. Stroke, or fall)

There's so many out there that it's difficult to know which ones are reputable.
Was looking at Lifeline, by Philips.
4 replies
Sep 3, 2013
632 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto
Lifeline is the popular one. I'm pretty sure it comes in different kinds... for example, someone with dementia living alone may not know to press the button, so there's a sensor if someone falls. But if the elderly is cognitively intact, then a simple bracelet/necklace with an emergency button may suffice. If you go through community/senior centers, you may get some discount or have the admin fee waived.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15928 posts
1840 upvotes
blindemboss wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 7:55 am
Anyone use a monitoring system for their elderly parents? You know...the 'I've fallen and can't get up' devices.
Do you parents have a home alarm? If so, a personal monitoring device can usually be added on for a small fee.

The Monitoring Centre offers a Personal Panic Alarm - and I believe monitoring of such devices is included in the base fee (except the hardware costs). It's not as sophisticated as Philips Lifeline but maybe suitable if they're not too old and senile yet.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13120 posts
646 upvotes
Lifeline is by far the market leader in capability and service...it is the one that is most often cobranded by the hospitals.

Yes, they have the motion sensor to detect falls and yes they also have the models that don't require the base station.

Also nice that they have major call centres are in Toronto and Montreal.