• Dec 22nd, 2018 7:32 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2907 posts
314 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON

Any router will do?

UPDATE: New cannet getting installed January 5. I just received the coship ccm8200 modem from them and need a router.

Will any cheap gigabit router work? It will be paired with a TP-Link AC1350 Wireless MU-MIMO

I was thinking about running 2 of the access points. Other option is it just get a wireless tp-link MU-MIMO router and one AP?
Last edited by hyperactiveme on Dec 22nd, 2018 1:03 am, edited 5 times in total.
17 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2907 posts
314 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
So I'm better off returning the TP-Link AC1350 Wireless MU-MIMO and just getting a wireless router? And then still use the unifi AP lite.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
14770 posts
1991 upvotes
Toronto
You can use an access point with a wireless router. If you don't want to see two wireless networks originating from your home, you can disable the wireless function on the router.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2907 posts
314 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
Ok so I'll return the TP-Link AC1350 AP and get a wireless router. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
14770 posts
1991 upvotes
Toronto
hyperactiveme wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 5:39 pm
Ok so I'll return the TP-Link AC1350 AP and get a wireless router. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Make sure you get one that has gigabit ports.

If you want to run third-party firmware such as DD-WRT or OpenWRT, make sure the router is compatible.

What's your price range? Do you need to cover a large area?

An excellent router is the Asus RT-AC86u which was one sale at Staples during BF for $150.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2907 posts
314 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
I have 3 floors to cover, 2 storey with basement. Only hardwired items will be the 2 Xbox's. Everything else will be in WiFi. So options are now to

Get a router and another unifi AP lite for a total of 2

Get a WiFi router to go with the unifi AP lite

Either way I'm returning the TP-Link AC1350 Wireless MU-MIMO to Amazon.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
14770 posts
1991 upvotes
Toronto
I would recommend getting a good wireless router and use the AP to extend the router's wireless range.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3695 posts
1395 upvotes
any time you use an AP to extend range you half the wireless speed. You should avoid any modem/router combo as the wireless portion is almost guaranteed to have weak signals, and port forwarding may or may not function properly
Feb 15, 2007
795 posts
109 upvotes
Pickering
hyperactiveme wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 5:39 pm

Thanks
So you're going to return a wireless router and get another wireless router?
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
2910 posts
477 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 7:11 pm
any time you use an AP to extend range you half the wireless speed. You should avoid any modem/router combo as the wireless portion is almost guaranteed to have weak signals, and port forwarding may or may not function properly
Why would an AP half the speed? it isn't a range extender.

Only scenario i can see with half speed on an AP is if OP is using wifi for the backhaul.

@OP if the AP lite is giving you enough range and good wifi in your house you can get the ubiquity edge router x for pretty cheap or any cheap gigabit router will do just turn off wifi on it.

If you need additional coverage for dead spots, buying a good wifi router will help but IMO your probably better just getting another AP Lite and cheap router as above.

I've always had trouble using a secondary router as an AP and mixing different hardware, clients will stick to one and stay connected even when the other router is close by. With detected APs the client can roam between the APs so you will always be connected to the closet AP and get the best speeds.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7012 posts
794 upvotes
Toronto
Confusing thread.

OP appears to have received a coship ccm8200 cable modem modem from a new Internet provider.
Also appears to have TP-Link AC1350 router and Ubiquiti AP lite.

Assuming that's correct, they can all be set up to work happily together. There is no need for additional hardware purchases.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
1767 posts
206 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

Aren't you supposed to connect the Ubiquiti AP lite to the oship ccm8200 modem with a lan cable? If you do that, you can put the Ubiquiti AP lite in a place to cover the dead spots that the modem doesn't reach. Have the modem only broadcast in 2.4 ghz, the Ubiquiti broadcast in 5.8 ghz.. or vice versa. Full coverage & no interfereing signals.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
2910 posts
477 upvotes
Fraser River Rat wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 6:53 am
Hi,

Aren't you supposed to connect the Ubiquiti AP lite to the oship ccm8200 modem with a lan cable? If you do that, you can put the Ubiquiti AP lite in a place to cover the dead spots that the modem doesn't reach. Have the modem only broadcast in 2.4 ghz, the Ubiquiti broadcast in 5.8 ghz.. or vice versa. Full coverage & no interfereing signals.
It a modem not modem/router combo, OP needs a router.

Stick to one brand for your APs OP. The TP LINK EAP are excellent i have a few in my house. You maybe able to get 2 EAPs and still come out ahead if you sell the AP LITE.

You don't really need 1350mbps, get the third gen EAP225 that will be more than enough.

OR

To keep it simple get another AP LITE and cheap douter.