Careers

Any salaried McDonald's managers out there?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2009 10:05 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 16, 2008
941 posts
18 upvotes

Any salaried McDonald's managers out there?

I'm just curious - how much does a salaried manager at McDonald's make? I never made it that far (wasn't my ambition really) but I'm just curious.
27 replies
Jul 9, 2008
407 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
i heard 23000 a year which is approx 13 bucks an hour. Good benefits which is as good as pay sometimes and don't forget unlimited fries
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34725 posts
1575 upvotes
Toronto
I imagine it to be around $28-$30k... Which is typical for managers in the food services industry.
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
[OP]
Jul 16, 2008
941 posts
18 upvotes
That's what I suspected, I just wasn't sure. I don't know if I should be a little sad that a salaried mcdonald's manager somewhere potentially makes the same salary as I do in my current job.

I will admit though that a salaried manager - meaning you're either the store manager or a 1st or 2nd assistant - has a lot of responsibilities and it's a demanding job.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
3191 posts
224 upvotes
St. John's
^ Really? from my experience in the food industry the only difference between the manager and other employees is that the manager makes the work schedule.
[OP]
Jul 16, 2008
941 posts
18 upvotes
Trust me, speaking as a former manager - and I was at the bottom of the manager chain at that - there's a lot more to it than simply making the scheduling. Well, it really depends on your position as a manager too.

For instance, weekday opener (M-F 6a-2p) is pretty cushy. But there are a lot of expectations of you from the store manager. And if you're a 1st/2nd assistant (so a salaried manager) you have even more duties and responsibilities.

I couldn't tell you what all of them are since as I said I was never a salaried manager. I just know that they seemed to have a tougher job.

Granted this was all my experience working for one of the busiest locations in Ottawa, so it may be different at less busy locations.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2003
2637 posts
11 upvotes
Calgary
Wow thats pathetic, I would think they would make a fairly reasonable amount but 30k?! I make more than that!
RIG SPECS: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Z170 - Intel i5 6600K @4.4GHz - GSkill Ripjaw 4 16GB Dual Channel @ 3000MHz - MSI Frozr GTX 1080 @ 1950/5000 - EVGA SUPERNOVA 1300W G2 PSU - Radeon R7 240GB x2 Raid 0
HEATWARE
[OP]
Jul 16, 2008
941 posts
18 upvotes
I notice you're also in Calgary. Aren't salaries a little higher there?

Anyway it also depends on your job. I make just under 30k; but I work in an industry where salaries are not high at all. Plus I just switched jobs within the company so I'm really only just starting out in my career (which won't be in this industry forever).
Jul 9, 2008
407 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
srg83 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2009 1:52 pm
That's what I suspected, I just wasn't sure. I don't know if I should be a little sad that a salaried mcdonald's manager somewhere potentially makes the same salary as I do in my current job.

I will admit though that a salaried manager - meaning you're either the store manager or a 1st or 2nd assistant - has a lot of responsibilities and it's a demanding job.
Even though the pay is not the greatest i'm sure it will look great on your resume if you list getting promoted to manager level position even at a place like mcdonalds.

I have a friend who became a manger at mcdonalds and then became district manager (working at the head office) and is making good coin. You just never know if you work hard
Aug 22, 2003
15539 posts
960 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Our next door neighbor is an area manager at the age of 28. There is no way he's making $28-$30K. He's managed to buy a house and pay in the $170's and has a new car, mind you they are paying the lease for that...
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
[OP]
Jul 16, 2008
941 posts
18 upvotes
area manager is different from a manager working at store level. They would make more as they have larger responsibilities.

I'm more curious about the salaried managers in the store - so 1st/2nd assistants, up to store manager. Beyond that I know that the pay is higher.
Jul 9, 2008
407 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
srg83 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2009 2:59 pm
area manager is different from a manager working at store level. They would make more as they have larger responsibilities.

I'm more curious about the salaried managers in the store - so 1st/2nd assistants, up to store manager. Beyond that I know that the pay is higher.
Dude if you can survive off 23 k for a year or two it could be a worthwhile to become manager at mcdonalds. You make connections with corp heads and who knows where that can lead. I personally don't see too many mcdonalds managers stay manager too long because they go into the headquarters or get a better job at another company.

Remember qualifications other companies post for manager or assistant manger positions has nothing to do with how much you made but everything to do with what you actually did as a manager.

I'm guessing you started this thread cuz u are thinking about becoming asst manager or manager at mcdonalds right?
Dec 10, 2006
426 posts
19 upvotes
There are several different types of salaried managers:
Restaurant Manager $40-60k/yr
1st Assistant Manager $35-40k/yr
2nd Assistant Manager $30k/yr
Salaried Swing Manager $25k/yr

These are rough estimates. It has been awhile since I was with the company.

Don't forget, the restaurant manager is given a free car and lots of benefits.
The other salaried positions have decent benefits too.
Jul 9, 2008
407 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
e909 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2009 3:11 pm
There are several different types of salaried managers:
Restaurant Manager $40-60k/yr
1st Assistant Manager $35-40k/yr
2nd Assistant Manager $30k/yr
Salaried Swing Manager $25k/yr

These are rough estimates. It has been awhile since I was with the company.

Don't forget, the restaurant manager is given a free car and lots of benefits.
The other salaried positions have decent benefits too.
Does the restaurant manager actually help the servers/cooks sometimes or are they the guys who work at the restaurant at the back office only??

I have seen two type of managers one who wears the blue uniform and another who wears the white one. Up to 60k is pretty good, if that manager ever retires or leaves
Dec 10, 2006
426 posts
19 upvotes
rocketdan9 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2009 3:17 pm
Does the restaurant manager actually help the servers/cooks sometimes or are they the guys who work at the restaurant at the back office only??

I have seen two type of managers one who wears the blue uniform and another who wears the white one. Up to 60k is pretty good, if that manager ever retires or leaves
They help out as needed. But their main focus is on backroom managing.

But if the place is short staffed or whatever, yeah they'll definitely cook burgers or work the tills.
× < >