None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4205 posts
365 upvotes
Markham

Any software to test laptop?

I am thinking buying a t420/430 in kijiji. Is they any program that I can install in USB and plug in the laptop to test functionality?

Besides, is there any specific issue for these two models?

Thanks

6 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25373 posts
2741 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
ThinkPads are solid machines. Not sure what you need test. Most important things can be seen visually

Hard drive and memory are the main concerns. Unfortunately it takes a long time to test those.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4205 posts
365 upvotes
Markham
Gee wrote: ThinkPads are solid machines. Not sure what you need test. Most important things can be seen visually

Hard drive and memory are the main concerns. Unfortunately it takes a long time to test those.
Thanks!

How easy to upgrade t420/430 ram? For a basic t420s with 4g ram and 320 gb HD, is it worth 250?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2290 posts
703 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 12:01 pm
Is they any program that I can install in USB and plug in the laptop to test functionality?
Unless the system has been wiped and a fresh OS installed, there should be something already on the laptop to check it.
Look for "Lenovo System Checker" or see what is available under the Thinkvantage tools.
If you want to be prepared they might be available for download from the lenovo site.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25373 posts
2741 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
smartie wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 12:20 pm
Thanks!

How easy to upgrade t420/430 ram? For a basic t420s with 4g ram and 320 gb HD, is it worth 250?
Both RAM and hard drives are easy to upgrade on a ThinkPad

$250 is fair, but I would try to get it down to $200, it is an older machine
Sep 12, 2008
26 posts
6 upvotes
Canada
I agree it is ALWAYS a good idea to test a computer, as much as the seller will let you, before buying it. As someone who used to work as an IT tech., I can tell you lots of things can go wrong. Unlike with a desktop, where expansion cards and many parts can be replaced inexpensively, that's not always the case with a laptop.

Most Thinkpad series have a bootable diagnostic CD (often Linux-based) to allow you to test the laptop without interfering with Windows at all. If you go to the support page on Lenovo's website, you should be able to find those. You will have to download the .ISO of the disc, burn it a home, and bring it with you. I always make it a habit of asking the seller if (s)he will allow me to test the machine BEFORE I come over to look at it. I tell them I'll need half an hour or less. If they're unwilling, then I wouldn't trust them to sell me a decent laptop anyways. I've done this more than a dozen times with good success.