Computers & Electronics

Any solid deals on Android Tablets? Chinese tablets worth looking at?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2016 10:53 am
[OP]
Nov 19, 2013
10 posts
Corner Brook

Any solid deals on Android Tablets? Chinese tablets worth looking at?

So been a year since my Nexus 9 tabletgot swiped, and really want to grab a solid 7-9 inch tablet that would be fairly solid for web/occasional game... but having a hard time finding a solid deal.(at least 1080p/4gig).

Any suggestions?
Was considering a Chinese tablet from geekbuying and the like...any positive experiences?
4 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
2809 posts
1380 upvotes
Calgary
chinese tabs are great value provided one is NOT concerned with updates. the dual boot chuwi8 that i got never had an android update in the 1+ yrs i had it. for some strange (or perhaps not so strange & more deliberate), it seems to pickup spyware wayyyy easier than the nexus9 im using now. personally, i'm gonna pass on any chitabs unless its a brand i know & trust.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
2955 posts
493 upvotes
could install custom firmware if it has one.
Dec 24, 2009
6 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
I bought 2 Chinese tablets recently. Both from Teclast. the X16-pro for my personal use, and a Tbook11 for my Aunt. X-16 Pro - bought for $350 CAD all in (including keyboard and active stylus), Tbook11 - bought for $300 CAD all in (on ******** including keyboard). I have used the X16 for about a month and the Tbook only for a few days. here're some pros/cons for the X16.

Pros:

Large decent looking screen (11.6") 1080p
4K output on HDMI
Good specs (Intel Z8500, 4 Gigs of RAM)
Good performance (80K on Antutu)
Dual OS Windows 10 and Android 5.1

Cons:

The one I got has a defect, the magnetic keyboard connector's polarity is backwards, so it doesn't latch on when placed proper facing (towards keyboard), only if put on in reverse. Fortunately it's not critical as the weight of the tablet is enough for it to rest on the magnetic dock by overcoming the magnetic repulsion, but have to be careful when trying to move it as it's not securely attached.
Touch sensitivity is poor. Was able to fix it with a settings mod in Windows but persists in Android
Wifi seems to intermittently drop off when power below 20%

the Tbook11 I just got a few days ago and it doesn't have the magnetic polarity issue but touch sensitivity still seems kinda insensitive.

Overall: Well, it's got some annoying quirks but given it's less than 1/2 the price of a Surface 3 with similar specs, I'll live with it.