• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2017 12:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7051 posts
307 upvotes

Any suggestion for spending some quality father and son time

I would like to take a day off for the coming PA day and spend some quality time with him. Since we have another toddler at home, the focus might sometime goes to the younger sibling. Thus, I want to take a day off just for my 8 years old son and build some father and son bonding :) Note: I do go out with them all the time but usually with both kids :) Any suggestion what we can do to enjoy the father and son day :)

Thanks for any advice :)
22 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
6943 posts
491 upvotes
Markham
You don't need to do anything fancy and waste time on commute.

Simply go to a neighbourhood park, play soccer or biking around.
or if stay home, do some Lego or puzzle together depend on what your son get involve the most.

Bring him to a good lunch/brunch if he love to eat.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
3781 posts
257 upvotes
Agree with the above, nothing fancy. Play catch in the park then wind down later with a board game or a puzzle.
Last edited by blexann on May 16th, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't do downvotes.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7051 posts
307 upvotes
Thanks. Yes, I do play basketball on the driveway with him whenever time allows. I guess I will play soccer with him this time. Yes, maybe go for a buffet with him too :)

Unfortunately, his bike just broke yesterday (see my thread asking for help). Otherwise, biking with him is good too :)

need-advice-fixing-my-kids-bike-2100448/#p27793510
Last edited by rdx on May 16th, 2017 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3080 posts
1100 upvotes
Edmonton
Did you ask him what he'd like to do?

C
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7051 posts
307 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
May 16th, 2017 10:49 am
Did you ask him what he'd like to do?

C
I am going to when I pick him up tonight :)
May 14, 2010
522 posts
64 upvotes
Mississauga
Go Fishing
Go to Wonderland
Soccer, Basketball, Hockey
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1088 posts
162 upvotes
Aquarium, hockey hall of fame, Playdium, CN Tower, ROM...the list is endless.
Alex
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
1000 posts
248 upvotes
Toronto
If he has a "I want to be a _______ when I grow up" theme the day around that.
Sep 19, 2013
596 posts
143 upvotes
Winnipeg
Do something *you guys* will enjoy, you dont need RFD for that (or you may end up with suggestions like - go to a strip club Winking Face)

The actual activity is not that relevant compared to the the memories you will build.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3080 posts
1100 upvotes
Edmonton
amitdi wrote:
May 16th, 2017 1:36 pm
Do something *you guys* will enjoy, you dont need RFD for that (or you may end up with suggestions like - go to a strip club Winking Face)

The actual activity is not that relevant compared to the the memories you will build.
Since he was only 8, I thought Hooters was more appropriate... :)

C
Mar 9, 2012
540 posts
146 upvotes
KITCHENER
Here's an idea; ask your child what he'd like to do. Make him aware that it's just the two of you.

I have two kids (14 & 16) and spend separate time with them. My son likes playing catch, going for an ice cream or a baseball game on the Playstation and stuff like that. My daughter likes to go for a walk or to Starbucks or something. I also take them for dinner occasionally separately.

Whatever the case, alone time is quality time. My kids are at that age where I am surprised they still want to hang out with me. A lot of teens shun their parents at this age. So I am not going to complain.

I am not sure where you are located, but taking him to a live sport is an awesome idea. He'll never forget it. My dad didn't do a lot of stuff with us, other than fishing. However, I still remember going to sports (baseball) games with him. The first one was the Kitchener Panthers vs the Toronto Maple Leafs. I remember it like it was yesterday. Probably around d 1981 or so. I also remember him taking us kids to the Toronto Blue Jays back in June of 1985, vs the ChiSox. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Build those memories. You might get lucky like me where your kids are happy to hangout with you when you're almost middle aged and they are punk teenagers.
Oct 13, 2014
827 posts
309 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
He is at that prime age where he probably wants to emulate his father. Do you have any hobbies, tasks that he could help you with and "get his hands dirty", changing the oil on the car, wood working, etc. anything other than normal day to days chores.
“When you marry the right woman, you are ‘complete.’ If you marry the wrong woman, you are ‘finished.’ And, if the right one catches you with the wrong one, you are ‘completely finished.'"
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel