Any suggestion for spending some quality father and son time

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2017 10:40 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3835 posts
465 upvotes
Aurora
I know this takes more than a day but there's camping for a night. I went camping with my 10 year old last summer - just him and me. And both he and I have fond memories of it. Helping each other put up the tent. Swimming in the lake. Building the campfire with him. Cooking hotdogs and marshmallows on sticks over the fire. Seeing thousands of stars in the night sky. It was a truly magical two days that I'm so glad I spent with my son.
Penalty Box
Apr 30, 2017
75 posts
12 upvotes
Just ask him what he wants to spend the day doing with dad. Im sure he will pick the best option. Better off than one of us can recommend.
Jul 8, 2008
15 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver
You know what, depends on what your kid's into, and with a toddler. The zoo is a good bet. Kids have a blast, and the experience of seeing something different up close is a big deal.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
481 upvotes
do something fun, go to the movies, go out and eat, go to the amusement park,

don't do something boring that he will regret going with you to, like fishing, buying clothes, shopping, learning anything, doing things he can't do, or things where you take turns.

I guess everyone's different, as I read the suggestions in this thread and I would have hated doing any of them as a kid.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
13387 posts
8877 upvotes
Toronto
Fond memories of stuff I did with my dad . he's still alive and enjoying his grandkids , my kids, whenever he visits Toronto.

Him teaching me tennis, swimming (by throwing me in!)
Us 'hunting tigers' in High Park. Where I got my first ever bee sting.
Numerous nature hikes in other places like Bronte Creek
Watching E.T. at the cinema together when it first came out. Then together again with my son too for and outdoor screening.
Many bike rides together to beach, Toronto Islands
Overnight trips to Wasaga beach where we'd stay at nice hotel w/indoor swimming pool
Canoeing (Toronto Islands too)
Taking tae kwon do lessons together
Globetrotters game at Maple Leaf Gardens. Still remember that one very vividly!

Basically time together is what matters most to me especially with us getting older. Come to realize that's what means a lot. Not some dumb things I'd wished he bought me.
"Had one yesterday and there was a full slice of onion no thinner than a polio shoe.

I cried out in despair." RFD user Dingus
Mar 19, 2015
627 posts
120 upvotes
Canada