Sports & Recreation

Any suggestions to kick your ass to go gym regularly?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2014 8:55 am
Tags:
None
May 22, 2013
3 posts

Any suggestions to kick your ass to go gym regularly?

Hi,

I am a very lazy person and I just lost my momentum to go gym regularly. I found an app that let me instantly partner up with someone who is also going to gym at the time I need to go. Do you folks think that is a good ass kicker?

Thanks
19 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
2133 posts
756 upvotes
Hamilton
get a gym buddy and make it a routine. Somebody you know that you'll be letting down if you don't show up is a great motivator. Even if it's just for coffee post workout.
Mar 7, 2009
17 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I never was able to make going to the gym a routine. I found fitness when I took up triathlon, and later on, muay thai. The monotony of lifting weights and running on a treadmill was just never fun enough...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5960 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto
Get the app Pact. That'll motivate you to workout.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2009
1420 posts
109 upvotes
I have a wife and children that love me. Doctor said, if I didn't start eating better and going to the gym I would get sick or die leaving my family missing me and my kids without a dad.

I'm also a very busy guy, own my own company, lots of employees and stress. So I wake up at 5:30am and I go so that I can get healthy and live longer. Looking good, and all the other side effects are extras, living longer is what motivates me.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
greanie wrote: I never was able to make going to the gym a routine. I found fitness when I took up triathlon, and later on, muay thai. The monotony of lifting weights and running on a treadmill was just never fun enough...
Like this guy, if the gym isn't working for you, find an activity that you actually want to get out to. Hockey, soccer, BJJ, rock climbing, water polo, muay thai, anything you find fun that will get you active.
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2009
2090 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: post a selfie
+1

Post a daily photo of yourself. After a month of skipping the gym, you can see 30 pictures of your failure. That should be motivation enough.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2652 posts
587 upvotes
Kitchener
I prefer a buddy. I used to workout with some friends and made some good gains. Life changes and we couldn't workout. I can't go on my own and start to skip off here and there.

Years later I've decided to do triathlons. It's not a team event but I've joined a club that meets regularly and I find in the off days I can force myself to go out and practice knowing I am meeting back with the group soon.

Everyone is different and can find what motivates them. While I love working out I need to feel like if I don't go I'm letting myself down and whoever is waiting for me.
Tired of renting from Reliance? This might be useful reliance-home-comfort-2464779/2/#p34473179
Feb 9, 2008
712 posts
80 upvotes
For me when I can't fit my clothes I have or especially when I am trying on new clothes at stores and I can't fit my usual size, that's when I feel I need to exercise and eat healthy again. Occasionally when friends take pics of me when during outings and post them on FB and I noticed how much weight I gain, that's also when I feel I need to exercise and eat healthy again. Usually those work enough for me. Having a fitness partner helps a lot and keeps you motivated especially if you both have a friendly competition about healthy weight loss or run times.
I still use Winamp to play downloaded mp3 files
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3682 posts
19 upvotes
Having a gym partner is nice but you need to find one who has been committed for a while, IMO. Otherwise, what often will happen is one gets demotivated and stops and that just encourages/gives reason for the other one to stop.

I would say 1) use a work out program from a webpage like bodybuilding.com (I liked Kris's 12 week training program - but it is hard and long work outs). They even have workout trackers on the page/app and it is all free.

or

2)try out a martial art if it interests you. IE- Kickboxing, BJJ, Muay Thai, boxing, etc... they are self motivating and great exercise imo.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
2891 posts
259 upvotes
Andex wrote: I have a wife and children that love me. Doctor said, if I didn't start eating better and going to the gym I would get sick or die leaving my family missing me and my kids without a dad.

I'm also a very busy guy, own my own company, lots of employees and stress. So I wake up at 5:30am and I go so that I can get healthy and live longer. Looking good, and all the other side effects are extras, living longer is what motivates me.
No offence but it took your doctor telling you that, to change?

And that is a very small part of the equation for health: diet and stress load are even more important.
The best way to become ordinary is to follow the advice of ordinary people.
Unless you've actually tried something, your comments are virtually meaningless.
Condemnation before investigation is the highest form of ignorance
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2008
5608 posts
131 upvotes
Sign up for a fun class. I used to go to the gym regularly for 2-3 months, then just stop once I got bored of the routine. Then start again a few months later. It was brutal. I then signed up for circuit training classes instead of just going to the gym, and now go regularly.
Kommander_KornFlakes wrote: I make more than what 95% of people in this site makes.
Try a six-figure salary that starts with a "3" (that would be annually)
Gloaming wrote: Seriously- I TRIED to ignore him. KKF is like herpes, you keep scratching in an attempt to get temporary relief, but two weeks later he comes raging back more annoying and infuriating as ever.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2006
8355 posts
2267 upvotes
GTA
I find that it is easier to motivate yourself if you work out first thing in the morning. It also wakes you up and gives you an energy boost for the rest of the day. I usually aim for 2 workouts a day and sometimes miss my evening routine, but hardly ever the mornings.
Oct 9, 2007
208 posts
17 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Watch American Ninja Warrior or Crossfit games - that should provide enough motivation for most.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
Sibica wrote: No offence but it took your doctor telling you that, to change?

And that is a very small part of the equation for health: diet and stress load are even more important.
What he says.^^ Do a stressful job where you are eating like crap because you don't have time to take care of yourself is a fast track to the grave. The worst years for me was when I was self employed and tried to have people work for me. Crap hours and stressing over the fact that nobody is capable of accomplishing my vision without me inspecting everything, even trusted friends.

Sometime the extra cash isn't worth it.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
2-PLY wrote: What's the app?
Becks wrote: I'd like to know, too. 'Cuz what are the chances of finding someone who's going to the same gym as you, who's got the app, as well as going at the same time? Maybe OP is thinking of grindr and trying to develop an app like that, but for the gym -- came here to test market his idea.

Pact: Earn Cash for Living Healthy
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/pact-ea ... 68701?mt=8

More info at http://appshopper.com/healthcare-fitness/gympact