Art and Photography

Any tips for amazing portrait shot edits?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2019 10:41 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1148 posts
422 upvotes

Re: Any tips for amazing portrait shot edits?

I use Photoshop for my portraits retouching. For the eyes, I use dodge and burn on a separate overlay layer and I use the angle of the light to apply the amount I need. That way, I can control the opacity later on and make sure it doesn't look too weird, or cartoony like you said.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4116 posts
1478 upvotes
Calgary
Do you have examples of a shot you have taken? It is harder to fix a bad shot, than it is to adjust an already good shot. Do you have the technicals down?

Honestly, the shot in the article is pretty poor, and sharpening the eyes, brightening them with simple tools like exposure and will make them look cartoony and unnatural if exaggerated.

Frequency separation, dodge and burn, selective high pass sharpening, eye colour enhancements, colour grading. These are more advanced retouching techniques but ones that high end portrait photographers use. I've never used Piktorial but I would expect it to be similar to Lightroom, which is not the best method to do advance editing.

Lightroom for RAW adjustments, Photoshop for retouching.
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
29 posts
1 upvote
For quick headshot enhancement, I use Portrait Magic: https://photo-works.net/video/ideal-portrait-video.php. Auto face improvement, aka AI, woks quite OK. If it's not enough for you, go for manual editing of the face pars, it's available as well. Also, PhotoWorks comes with other editing tools, for example, adjustment brush is perfect to sharpen the eyes and avoid unnatural 'cartoonish' look: https://photo-works.net/how-to-sharpen- ... oto.php#p3
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
1667 posts
698 upvotes
I have a basement photo studio, and honestly with a reasonable lighting and camera/lens (I use Canon 6D + 70-200 f4L for studio portraits), I never felt a need to do anything special to my family portraits in terms of post-processing. Once I get the colors right (I'm using ColorChecker Passport - works great), I typically slightly correct the levels, and boost a bit vibrance (adobe camera raw).