Off Topic Archive

Locked: Any tips on disputing a ticket with Impark (Imperial Parking)?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2009 10:51 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2941 posts
GVRD

Any tips on disputing a ticket with Impark (Imperial Parking)?

My dad parked in a disabled parking spot and got a ticket from an Impark officer in the GVRD. His sticker was on the dash and there is a wheelchair in the car as well.

I tried the the phone line to Impark but it is impossibly busy - any tips on how to dispute this? Is Impark evil?
the man who trades freedom for security does not deserve
nor will receive either - benjamin franklin
Share:
48 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4336 posts
85 upvotes
GTA
you're f*cked.. Impark will put your phone # in their auto dialer and call you 5 times a day until you pay the ticket.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2941 posts
GVRD
great - i've heard so many bad things about these guys :(
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14546 posts
671 upvotes
Scarborough
IMPARK is easy to deal with. Ferkel's credibility is going down in my books with his second erroneuous posting this week after the first one in my colours blossom thread about b00b size.

Anyway, just write a letter to IMPARK basically telling them they're full of **** and how you're going to pursue further legal action against them and you're off the hook.

I got a ticket 2 summers ago at their lot on Broadway. I wrote them a letter telling them their ticket dispenser wasn't working so I had to go get a ticket from another dispenser, there was a lineup and so i had to wait... while i was waiting, the "officer" ticketed me, despite me yelling at him to stop. etc etc.

never heard from them again, never got a collection notice, nothing.
MOONBOX PRO:Group Buy | User Thread
H.TVBox 3 Group Buy | User Thread
TVPad4 | User Thread
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
4609 posts
72 upvotes
Winnipeg
Little know fact about Impark tickets. They won't enforce it because they can't get the information about who owns the car and the owners phone number. Impark cannot go to the provincial authorities with your plate number and then ask who the owner of the car is. The new Canadian privacy laws do not allow the government to release this info.
Jun 9, 2002
229 posts
cipher wrote:Little know fact about Impark tickets. They won't enforce it because they can't get the information about who owns the car and the owners phone number. Impark cannot go to the provincial authorities with your plate number and then ask who the owner of the car is. The new Canadian privacy laws do not allow the government to release this info.
Yes... I vaguely remember something about this too.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4336 posts
85 upvotes
GTA
I got a ticket 1.5 years ago for being a few miniutes over the time limit. ( i was stuck in a job interview that wouldn't end) They wanted $40 i think. I didn't pay and it went to collections for $80 and i was put in their autodialer system. I eventually paid them off cuz they called 5 times a day.

Here's a story thestar did on Impark last summer.. who knows.. maybe they have changed their ways.

http://www.cbcollections.com/images/TheTorontoStar.PDF
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2941 posts
GVRD
I wonder how they can get my dad's phone number now if privacy rules prohibit them getting personal info.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1473 posts
11 upvotes
I got an Impark ticket once. It was in a parking lot accross from a movie theater that we had parked in for years without ever hearing a word. We didn't even realize you were supposed to pay for parking at night there. I took the ticket, put it on the car beside me, and never heard a word again.

Anyway, the lowdown on Impark/etc - They can't get your address from your license plate anymore b/c of privacy laws - They can't do a thing unless you park on their lot again - They will only tow your car if you have 3 outstanding tickets.

So I'd write them and tell them where to put their ticket, and if they don't do anything, just ignore it.

PS - The impark ticket guys get commission for writing tickets (My brother worked there for a couple weeks)
Deal Addict
May 6, 2003
1043 posts
1 upvote
One other trick that worked for me a few years ago:

I parked my car at 4:30 PM and paid for two hours of parking. After 6PM there was a flat rate of $2. Since I did not return to my car until 6:30, I had received a ticket for not paying the $2 flat rate for the evening. I wrote them a letter explaining that I had already paid for 2 hours from 4:30 to 6:30, but included a cheque for $2 to pay for the evening's flat rate. They held onto the cheque for almost 6 months, then cashed it about 3 days before it would have been staledated. I received a letter from them indicating they accepted my payment and cancelled the ticket, but that they would not do this for me again. At least it worked once.

Another alternative - get a new licence plate for your car - tell the DMV that yours was damaged in a car wash. I'm not sure what they charge in each province to replace a damaged/missing plate, but I am guessing it is cheaper than paying one or more $80 tickets from Impark.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2003
2264 posts
18 upvotes
Mississauga
I've got over $10,000 in impark tickets since 1997. I never paid at their lots when I used to work downtown everyday. Only got towed twice! Don't pay them a cent. I have never got a phone call or letter from them yet. All my co-workers and friends have done the same. Some of them were recieving phone calls but basically told them to ****-off. Nothing has happened to them either. We all don't work downtown anymore and don't park there anymore so it has been since 2000 that nothing has happened now.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2004
3570 posts
498 upvotes
Richmond
I haven't received an Impark ticket in several years, but I've also never paid for the ones I have received in the past. I've gotten the collections notices (which I just throw away), and never hear from them otherwise.

BTW, I currently have a monthly parking pass for one of their lots, so they know who I am, what I drive, my current address, phone number and credit card information. Never been bothered about unpaid Impark tickets.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
4609 posts
72 upvotes
Winnipeg
rookie wrote:I've got over $10,000 in impark tickets since 1997. I never paid at their lots when I used to work downtown everyday. Only got towed twice! Don't pay them a cent. I have never got a phone call or letter from them yet. All my co-workers and friends have done the same. Some of them were recieving phone calls but basically told them to ****-off. Nothing has happened to them either. We all don't work downtown anymore and don't park there anymore so it has been since 2000 that nothing has happened now.

I wonder if this shows up on a credit report.
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14546 posts
671 upvotes
Scarborough
rookie wrote:I've got over $10,000 in impark tickets since 1997. I never paid at their lots when I used to work downtown everyday. Only got towed twice! Don't pay them a cent. I have never got a phone call or letter from them yet. All my co-workers and friends have done the same. Some of them were recieving phone calls but basically told them to ****-off. Nothing has happened to them either. We all don't work downtown anymore and don't park there anymore so it has been since 2000 that nothing has happened now.
didn't you have to pay for the tow?
MOONBOX PRO:Group Buy | User Thread
H.TVBox 3 Group Buy | User Thread
TVPad4 | User Thread
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2003
1178 posts
137 upvotes
From what I understand, Impark will take you to collections on over $50. You can just go into their offices and explain the misunderstanding and they will reduce your fine to about 50% or less
× < >