Careers

Locked: Any underemployed millennials here?

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2017 10:15 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7846 posts
8794 upvotes
vonkarajanis wrote: Anyone like myself? Please state the following:

Education level: Hold an MA
Industry: Education
Title: _____Assistant (can't disclose exact title for privacy reasons)
Compensation: 58K, 4% vacay pay with zero benefits, renewable contract every 3 months (already renewed 3 times)

It's pretty sad for a graduate like myself who went to one of the top 10 universities in North America for my field. Currently hearing rumors about a promotion later this year but won't bet on it.

What about you?
$58K salary with nothing but an Arts degree is already quite impressive. I wouldn't call that underemployed at all. If you were full-time permanent with benefits making the same salary, I'd say that's a pretty fair wage.
Jan 11, 2017
121 posts
40 upvotes
Satire or whatever.. It's comical
Jul 6, 2012
101 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
superfresh89 wrote: $58K salary with nothing but an Arts degree is already quite impressive. I wouldn't call that underemployed at all. If you were full-time permanent with benefits making the same salary, I'd say that's a pretty fair wage.
That's the point. I don't have full time permanent with benefits. Where have you been the past 50 posts?

Also, I don't just hold a random BA. It's an MA from a top program. I know Gen X'ers who are BA dropouts making more than our generation.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
3349 posts
555 upvotes
vonkarajanis wrote: I think what's cute is that you actually take every post of mine at face value. You'd think that someone with Mr. Bean as their profile pic would have even a pale sense of humor.

What's pathetic is the fact that so many posters here, including you, feel it's moral to propagate the continued and very real oppression of millennials. My demand for a fair wage is not entitlement. Your demand that the younger, more qualified generation stay left behind so that you could keep collecting your unjustified salary and benefits for your 20th century boomer mindset is the epitome of just that.
LOL, there is so much wrong with the way you think.

Everything you said here is ridiculous. Comedy is great, and I enjoy your sarcasm in previous posts.

the continued and very real oppression of millennials There is no oppression of millenials, just a shitty job market due to immigration. Stop victimizing yourself.

My demand for a fair wage is not entitlement. You are already being paid very well for someone right out of U. Why should you be worth more with your awesome 1 year of experience?

younger, more qualified generation LOL, says you? There is no such thing as a more qualified generation. My generation learned how to type instead of write, so my cursive sucks but I can type 80+ wpm. We simply grew up in the computer revolution, and learned those skills accordingly. Our generation is not more qualified than the older generation, they just had it easier getting into jobs because there was far less competition due to less immigration and far fewer people had degrees back then, therefore the "standard" was simply a high school diploma. Within any generation of people, you will find people that are amazing at things they do, and people that completely suck. I have worked with a massive variety of job classes of all ages, from mechanics, coordinators, managers, project managers, and there is no bell curve that could be used to interpret skills by generation (other than certain computer skills).

Stop making this such a generational thing. Millenials are not being oppressed, it's simply the bad luck based on the factors I mentioned above. Feel free to protest immigration if you want less competition, JTs email is publicly available.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2779 posts
1134 upvotes
Winnipeg
noone except OP is talking about millennials in general. only OP is playing the victim card in every post. trying to provoke the posters by looking at thier ids, locations, RFD status... Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

this is nothing but a troll thread. :facepalm:
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
May 8, 2015
71 posts
39 upvotes
All over the place
Still unfortunate to see people with the mindset of "if I go to X school, I'm guaranteed Y pay". Again, out in the real world things don't work that way. Nobody owes you anything nor are you guaranteed anything. None of us are. It's called grinding and hustling your way to where you want to be. Nobody cares if you graduated at the top of your class, went to the best school in the country and aced your final exam. In the real world, it means squat. Zero. Zilch. Want a cookie?

All that studying yet you couldn't grasp simple life lessons. Well, now you know.
Jul 6, 2012
101 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
kofte101 wrote: Still unfortunate to see people with the mindset of "if I go to X school, I'm guaranteed Y pay". Again, out in the real world things don't work that way. Nobody owes you anything nor are you guaranteed anything. None of us are. It's called grinding and hustling your way to where you want to be. Nobody cares if you graduated at the top of your class, went to the best school in the country and aced your final exam. In the real world, it means squat. Zero. Zilch. Want a cookie?

All that studying yet you couldn't grasp simple life lessons. Well, now you know.
Then please do your children a favor in the future by sending them to McDonald's Burger University for their Bachelor's in Sandwich Artistry. I'm sure they'll obtain meaningful employment straight outta school and be set for life. Maybe they'll even grow up to be patronizing hacks like you.

It takes a special kind of ignorance to believe that a good job isn't the reason why high quality education is essential to have.
Jul 22, 2009
83 posts
180 upvotes
Vaughan
If you don't like your job and the benefits it comes with, then you should look for another. If you can't find a better job, then obviously your degree, as awesome as it is advertised to be, is not as valuable as you think.
Jul 26, 2016
209 posts
76 upvotes
Eh? Assistant making almost 60K in Toronto is very good, let alone you are only 26. Do you work for the government/public sector or crown corporation (i.e. OPG/Hydro One)? They are the only ones who can pay that much for assistant positions. I work for a listed company (small potato, make less than you) in Toronto and the assistant managers are only making $65K+. Team leads are making $80K+ only with project management titles. I think my managers are underpaid LOL!

But I used to volunteered in the charity/non-profit sector and those "managers" make $80K+ have nothing to do but going for meetings all day talking about the same "social issues" over and over. I don't think any of them have master degrees. If you think you are underpaid maybe you can jump boat to a better pay company?
Jul 6, 2012
101 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Eric1010 wrote: Eh? Assistant making almost 60K in Toronto is very good, let alone you are only 26. Do you work for the government/public sector or crown corporation (i.e. OPG/Hydro One)? They are the only ones who can pay that much for assistant positions. I work for a listed company (small potato, make less than you) in Toronto and the assistant managers are only making $65K+. Team leads are making $80K+ only with project management titles. I think my managers are underpaid LOL!

But I used to volunteered in the charity/non-profit sector and those "managers" make $80K+ have nothing to do but going for meetings all day talking about the same "social issues" over and over. I don't think any of them have master degrees. If you think you are underpaid maybe you can jump boat to a better pay company?
Thank you for responding with a thoughtful and non bashing message. I work in tertiary education, the field my two degrees trained me for.

I bet you have job stability and room for advancement, though. $58K spread out over rolling 3 month contracts isn't my idea of "very good". You know the average salary for MA graduates is $60K. Just not for people of my generation, who are systematically discriminated against. They call us entitled just for asking for fairness. Who in their right mind sincerely believes that 3 month contracts at $58K with zero benefits is fair comp for a MA holder from a top program in their exact field?
Jul 26, 2016
209 posts
76 upvotes
Just a side note, people on the sales team at my company are all making 6 figures. But I don't think it's an easy job and I respect those guys. Most of them are 40+ with extensive sales experience. No degree is required for the jobs and they hire from time to time. Degree =/= pay. If you go into sales and you are good, I am sure you can make a lot more.
Jul 26, 2016
209 posts
76 upvotes
vonkarajanis wrote: Thank you for responding with a thoughtful and non bashing message. I work in tertiary education, the field my two degrees trained me for.

I bet you have job stability and room for advancement, though. $58K spread out over rolling 3 month contracts isn't my idea of "very good". You know the average salary for MA graduates is $60K. Just not for people of my generation, who are systematically discriminated against. They call us entitled just for asking for fairness. Who in their right mind sincerely believes that 3 month contracts at $58K with zero benefits is fair comp for a MA holder from a top program in their exact field?

I am a millennial myself (the older ones) and I understand where you are coming from. I used to think like that but as I get older I realize every generations come with their own challenges. Yes the boomers have it easy for secure jobs and buying a house even retire with full pensions more than our salary, but back then they don't have that much entertainment or even the internet to enjoy. Yes they now hold senior permanent positions and refuse to retire and let younger people take their place, but it's because most of them have deadbeat children leeching on them LOL!
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
I think being underpaid is a bigger issue

Everyone is racing to the bottom

Bit about me.. I have a bunch of certificates / IT related work experience and I'm stuck in this over-qualified and under-qualified position right now :(
Jul 26, 2016
209 posts
76 upvotes
vonkarajanis wrote: Thank you for responding with a thoughtful and non bashing message. I work in tertiary education, the field my two degrees trained me for.

Quoting "average salary for MA graduates is $60K", I think it depends on luck too. Some MA students make 6 figures while some work for Tim's. Many factors are involved and that's why it's called "average". I do think you are doing well in Toronto. You are still young and can definitely wait for an opportunity to boost up your pay substantially. Best of luck to you!
Jul 6, 2012
101 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Eric1010 wrote: Quoting "average salary for MA graduates is $60K", I think it depends on luck too. Some MA students make 6 figures while some work for Tim's. Many factors are involved and that's why it's called "average". I do think you are doing well in Toronto. You are still young and can definitely wait for an opportunity to boost up your pay substantially. Best of luck to you!
Thank you! Finally some civility in this thread. We may disagree but at least you are not completely blind to the issue like the others. Cheers.
Jul 6, 2012
101 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
george__ wrote: I think being underpaid is a bigger issue

Everyone is racing to the bottom

Bit about me.. I have a bunch of certificates / IT related work experience and I'm stuck in this over-qualified and under-qualified position right now :(
Exactly. And these previleged Gen X'ers and self loathing millennials say the problem is only with useless fields like Gender Studies and Education (sic). Get a grip people!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5697 posts
1522 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
FreshCo wrote: You're only 26 and make 60k, thats still above average for a uni grad your age.
Was going to say. It sucks, but the numbers are normal for your background. People in their younger years in their Master's usually are around that salary mark in the Arts or Sciences. BAs and BScs are often happy to see 30-40K. Nowadays not really the business to be in if you care a lot about your wages.
Eric1010 wrote: Quoting "average salary for MA graduates is $60K", I think it depends on luck too. Some MA students make 6 figures while some work for Tim's. Many factors are involved and that's why it's called "average". I do think you are doing well in Toronto. You are still young and can definitely wait for an opportunity to boost up your pay substantially. Best of luck to you!
Relying on average statistics for higher education is very difficult to obtain accurate information, unless it's some program catered to some very specific jobs where there is a narrow pay range. In theory you could make $100K+ as a "finance manager" at some car dealership but all you really do is try to get suckers into auto loans and your financial education only a checkbox in the employment process. You see it in Vancouver a lot where people with Master's degrees are often found selling luxury handbags and cars. Or you were the odd lucky one whose buddy got you into some investment firm where your pay is heavily supported by commission/incentive bonuses but you really just sell old people some funds after sitting down with them pretending to be their financial consultant.

Another example is my insurance adjuster, she just shoots car shops cheques or writes off vehicles but had to go through a BCOMM, CPA, MBA just to somehow end up at that job.

Local to me the electrician field is also turning into the next university grad job market, as people often have this illusion that it's the magic path to easy big money always with work. The catch is you can be making all the way from $60,000/year to $160,000/year (or $0 - 160,000/year in our recession) on similar wages, but it's the amount of work you get that makes such a large difference.
Last edited by FirstGear on May 26th, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Accountant (Public Practice)
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
vonkarajanis wrote: Exactly. In late 20's it should be more like low 70's. I feel you brother!

Boomers and Gen X'ers had it good and always like to bitch about "entitled millennials". Check your privilege!
You deserve a cockslap with your shitty and negative attitude. If you feel your worth more then go and get a better job instead of being a keyboard warrior in your mom's basement.

-yours truly, another millennial
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Jul 6, 2012
101 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
tmkf_patryk wrote: You deserve a cockslap with your shitty and negative attitude. If you feel your worth more then go and get a better job instead of being a keyboard warrior in your mom's basement.

-yours truly, another millennial
What's shitty and negative attitude is telling the oppressed to pull themselves up by the bootstrap. If no companies are willing to pay a fair wage to millennials how could I get a better job, Einstein? Didn't get the big brains from your mommy did you?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)