Travel

Any way to get an idea on your estimated flight's fuel surcharge?

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2018 10:28 pm
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
514 posts
135 upvotes

Any way to get an idea on your estimated flight's fuel surcharge?

Sure you get exact prices for your flights when booking but fuel surcharge's are all over the place and I've seen flights where once the fuel surcharge is added on, it turns that $500 round trip ticket that you have to $1500, 3 times the amount. Is there no way to find out a general idea of how much you will pay on your fuel surcharge? Because often the fuel is more than the plane ticket itself.
7 replies
Feb 14, 2009
956 posts
311 upvotes
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
May 17th, 2018 8:34 am
Sure you get exact prices for your flights when booking but fuel surcharge's are all over the place and I've seen flights where once the fuel surcharge is added on, it turns that $500 round trip ticket that you have to $1500, 3 times the amount. Is there no way to find out a general idea of how much you will pay on your fuel surcharge? Because often the fuel is more than the plane ticket itself.
Use Google Flight or ItaMatrix or any other place where you see
right away TOTAL price. Do not care of price composition.

If you see advertisement of any price with note "tax and fees extra" --
run away right away or research the price fast to get final price.

Cheers.
May 7, 2015
526 posts
174 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Look up the flight on ITA Matrix, it will break down all taxes for you.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1077 posts
495 upvotes
Ottawa
Air Canada's online booking engine shows prices all-in too.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1576 posts
726 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
It depends which airline. Which airline?
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
1900 posts
988 upvotes
tequilla wrote:
May 17th, 2018 9:31 am
Use Google Flight or ItaMatrix or any other place where you see
right away TOTAL price. Do not care of price composition.

If you see advertisement of any price with note "tax and fees extra" --
run away right away or research the price fast to get final price.
This is one of the major benefits of using ITA Matrix over any of the other amateur websites out there like Kayak and Momondo.

As for "tax and fees extra", I don't know about the rest of Canada but that is definitely illegal in Ontario now. Gone are the days when certain airlines can advertise $1 fares or joke airlines can advertise "$99 all inclusive 7 days in Jamaica!" and then in the fine print at the bottom of the ad, tack on several hundred dollars in taxes, fuel surcharges, convenience charges, resort fees, etc.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
514 posts
135 upvotes
BrunetteGirl wrote:
May 17th, 2018 7:14 pm
It depends which airline. Which airline?
Not sure but most likely United or delta.

Thank you everyone for the tips. It's always annoying not knowing what the fuel charge will be. I will look into ITA matrix.
May 16, 2017
274 posts
259 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
May 17th, 2018 7:29 pm
This is one of the major benefits of using ITA Matrix over any of the other amateur websites out there like Kayak and Momondo.

As for "tax and fees extra", I don't know about the rest of Canada but that is definitely illegal in Ontario now. Gone are the days when certain airlines can advertise $1 fares or joke airlines can advertise "$99 all inclusive 7 days in Jamaica!" and then in the fine print at the bottom of the ad, tack on several hundred dollars in taxes, fuel surcharges, convenience charges, resort fees, etc.
Canada-wide - all airfares must be advertised and displayed upfront in all booking systems, whether on-line, paper or any other form of media ad ALL-IN pricing.

The exception is if you buy a "package" vacation, where taxes-fees can be shown separately and not in the "big-print".

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)