Off Topic Archive

Locked: Any way to prevent sniffles and sneezes in the morning??!?!?!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2006 3:58 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 15, 2005
293 posts
Toronto

Any way to prevent sniffles and sneezes in the morning??!?!?!

I'm tired of having to wake up in the morning, and having to blow my nose AND sneeze a GAZILLION times!! I don't know why this happens... it could possibly be that I have SEVERE allergies... but it's EVERY time I wake up, this happens. I'm getting really tired of it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is there anyway to prevent this from ever happening again? What am I doing that causes this to happen??? :|
Share:
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2003
8454 posts
8 upvotes
misskaren wrote:
Oct 8th, 2006 10:49 am
I'm tired of having to wake up in the morning, and having to blow my nose AND sneeze a GAZILLION times!! I don't know why this happens... it could possibly be that I have SEVERE allergies... but it's EVERY time I wake up, this happens. I'm getting really tired of it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is there anyway to prevent this from ever happening again? What am I doing that causes this to happen??? :|
humidifier/de-humidifier.
People who are in my gang: Nikita, Spidey, weedb0y, jcoltage, deep, pitz, Sylvestre, Icedawn, 3weddings, Ambermoon, CSK'sMom, jazzsax, bokep, matdwyer, Dash, KorruptioN, angekfire, sxz, WontonTiger, YYZFA, king_george, 45ED, sxz, Ojam

*WE GONNA GIT YOU!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 21, 2003
6755 posts
755 upvotes
Non drowsy allergy pills - [as an RFD'er, you'll want to buy generic ones. Superstore or Costco has some good ones.] :razz:

My son has to sometimes take them at night, as by morning, he too is very congested, but when he takes them, he does really well in the mornings. He doesn't have to take them all the time, so perhaps different times of the year will be different for you, too. [Different allergens in the air, etc.]

You should also buy a furnace filter that is designed as being good for those with asthma - 3M makes the ones for around $20 that will be far better than anything else you can get.

Try a non-allergenic pillow as well, and be sure to vaccum your mattress all over - if you are allergic to dust mites, their excrement that they leave behind { :evil: } can also be causing sniffles such as you describe. You can't see dust mites, but do yourself a favor and don't google or wikipedia them or you'll be really, really grossed out. ;)

Good luck!! :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2003
1307 posts
3 upvotes
quit doing coke
jk uhhh
if it's allergies and not only does it bug you in the mornings but every day, afternoon, etc, you might want to look into allergy injections
Oct 24, 2004
842 posts
16 upvotes
Vancouver
I have allergies to dust mites and I was the same way in the morning. I eventually figured out that I was allergic to dust mite through testing and then took the advice of people at an allergy store to fix up my bed. I've been morning sniffle free for many years now :D

The best thing to do, is to go get tested to make sure you're allergic to them.

If so, first, get a new pillow - they tend to be the worst offenders, especially if the pillow is older than 3 years. Go to a allergy store and you can buy covers that go over your pillow and blakents that are 'dust mite proof'.

Other things you can do are getting some of that anti-allergen Febreeze and spray down your mattress once in awhile and spraying your carpets.

If you are allergic to dust mites though, don't get a humidifier - humidity only encourages dust mite growth.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2004
6704 posts
45 upvotes
Air Filters/Purifiers can help do the trick.
Innovatively Silent. :cool:

My Heatware (68-0-0) is under: Cafe_333

TR-Ultra120@TLF-S12-EW / Accelero S1 / Convection Spreaders
TLF-S12-EW@case / SP-FC70-BL / 5&7V / 120&PSU Vibration Gaskets
UC-A3FATR2-B / S12-430 / Precut Sonata Acoustic Dampeners
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34724 posts
1575 upvotes
Toronto
its caused by "dry nose"
much like your skin gets dry during the winter (or due to poor nutrition or genetics) your nose does too! this causes sneezing and sometimes runny noses. ANd in some cases.... it even causes nose bleeds.
a de/humidifyer helps. Theres also this nasal gel that helps. Go ask your doctor and they'll recommend one
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
Jun 18, 2006
14 posts
misskaren wrote:
Oct 8th, 2006 10:49 am
I experience the exact same thing every single morning. Sometimes I even wake up from a deep sleep because of continuous sneezing... I have taken an allergy test not too long ago, and the results were that I, too,
aidzhsiah wrote:
Oct 8th, 2006 6:52 pm
I have allergies to dust mites and I was the same way in the morning. I eventually figured out that I was allergic to dust mite through testing
am allergic to dust mites, dusts, pollens, and a whole bunch of other things. Having a cat in the house used to trigger my allergies very severely (I have bad bad bad allergies w/ cats). However it seems like I am no longer allergic to cats. :) however... the daily sneezing and sniffling and nose-blowing in early morning troubles me. I take Claritin daily - after I wake up (well, not weekends). Should I change my allergy medication to a different brand? I heard Aerius works pretty well.
[OP]
Aug 15, 2005
293 posts
Toronto
This is exactly what happens to me too...................... It's sooo annoying! Especially when I'm died tired, and sometimes I'd have to just wake up and sneeze CONTINUOUSLY! After that, I get the sniffles, and I'd have to replace my teddy bear with a tissue box.

Would you guys recommend that I take allergies pills every night before I fall asleep to avoid this?

Oreo__ wrote:
Oct 8th, 2006 8:45 pm
I experience the exact same thing every single morning. Sometimes I even wake up from a deep sleep because of continuous sneezing... I have taken an allergy test not too long ago, and the results were that I, too,

am allergic to dust mites, dusts, pollens, and a whole bunch of other things. Having a cat in the house used to trigger my allergies very severely (I have bad bad bad allergies w/ cats). However it seems like I am no longer allergic to cats. :) however... the daily sneezing and sniffling and nose-blowing in early morning troubles me. I take Claritin daily - after I wake up (well, not weekends). Should I change my allergy medication to a different brand? I heard Aerius works pretty well.
[OP]
Aug 15, 2005
293 posts
Toronto
I wash my pillow case and bedsheets very often. I vacuum my room everyweek... and I'm a clean freak.. everything must be clean. So I'm not quite sure if this is my problem... BUT where are these allergy stores you speak of? Any ones located in Toronto (or Kitchener-Waterloo?) ??

De/humidifiers worsen the air for me. I've tried, and they don't seem to work. Either it moistens the air tooo much (and like you said, encourage dust mite growth) or they just dry the air out.

Oh boy...... why do I have to suffer soooo much??!?!?!
aidzhsiah wrote:
Oct 8th, 2006 6:52 pm
I have allergies to dust mites and I was the same way in the morning. I eventually figured out that I was allergic to dust mite through testing and then took the advice of people at an allergy store to fix up my bed. I've been morning sniffle free for many years now :D

The best thing to do, is to go get tested to make sure you're allergic to them.

If so, first, get a new pillow - they tend to be the worst offenders, especially if the pillow is older than 3 years. Go to a allergy store and you can buy covers that go over your pillow and blakents that are 'dust mite proof'.

Other things you can do are getting some of that anti-allergen Febreeze and spray down your mattress once in awhile and spraying your carpets.

If you are allergic to dust mites though, don't get a humidifier - humidity only encourages dust mite growth.
Oct 24, 2004
842 posts
16 upvotes
Vancouver
misskaren wrote:
Oct 9th, 2006 12:12 am
This is exactly what happens to me too...................... It's sooo annoying! Especially when I'm died tired, and sometimes I'd have to just wake up and sneeze CONTINUOUSLY! After that, I get the sniffles, and I'd have to replace my teddy bear with a tissue box.

Would you guys recommend that I take allergies pills every night before I fall asleep to avoid this?
I wouldn't recommend medication as a long term solution. Allergy meds are great for hayfever and seasonal allergies but if you're having trouble every night, you need to fix what's wrong rather than cover up the symptoms. Maybe one or two on those really bad nights ?
Oct 24, 2004
842 posts
16 upvotes
Vancouver
misskaren wrote:
Oct 9th, 2006 12:17 am
I wash my pillow case and bedsheets very often. I vacuum my room everyweek... and I'm a clean freak.. everything must be clean. So I'm not quite sure if this is my problem... BUT where are these allergy stores you speak of? Any ones located in Toronto (or Kitchener-Waterloo?) ??

De/humidifiers worsen the air for me. I've tried, and they don't seem to work. Either it moistens the air tooo much (and like you said, encourage dust mite growth) or they just dry the air out.

Oh boy...... why do I have to suffer soooo much??!?!?!
Dust mites usually live inside the pillow and mattress rather than on the case or the sheets. Keeping those clean will help, but doesn't eliminate the problem. Dust mites are hardy little buggers too and will survive washing (and really, you can kill the dust mites, but it's their excrement that causes allergies, not the mites). Vaccuuming just spreads them around.

Try going to get some Allergen Reducing Febreeze (which is far easier to obtain than specialty products) and spray down all the carpet in the room and your mattress. I find that doing that and getting a new pillow usually help the most. (Also try moving stuff that can accumulate dust mites like your teddy bear away from where you sleep).

I don't know where there might be a store to sell allergy products in Ontario but there should be one (there's 2 or 3 here in the Vancovuer area). http://www.linesdistributors.com/ is an online company in Ontario, but that's as much as I could turn up with Google.

If you have trouble finding one, try finding a doctor which specializes in respiratory conditions and ask them where you might find these products.

Of course, the best course of action, is definitely go to a doctor and arrange to do an allergy test to find out for sure whether you are allergic to dust mites or something else.
[OP]
Aug 15, 2005
293 posts
Toronto
aidzhsiah wrote:
Oct 9th, 2006 7:38 am
Dust mites usually live inside the pillow and mattress rather than on the case or the sheets. Keeping those clean will help, but doesn't eliminate the problem. Dust mites are hardy little buggers too and will survive washing (and really, you can kill the dust mites, but it's their excrement that causes allergies, not the mites). Vaccuuming just spreads them around.

Try going to get some Allergen Reducing Febreeze (which is far easier to obtain than specialty products) and spray down all the carpet in the room and your mattress. I find that doing that and getting a new pillow usually help the most. (Also try moving stuff that can accumulate dust mites like your teddy bear away from where you sleep).

I don't know where there might be a store to sell allergy products in Ontario but there should be one (there's 2 or 3 here in the Vancovuer area). http://www.linesdistributors.com/ is an online company in Ontario, but that's as much as I could turn up with Google.

If you have trouble finding one, try finding a doctor which specializes in respiratory conditions and ask them where you might find these products.

Of course, the best course of action, is definitely go to a doctor and arrange to do an allergy test to find out for sure whether you are allergic to dust mites or something else.

I've done allergy tests (within the past year)... with TWO different doctors. My results are the same.... almost EVERYTHING on the list is checked off.
Jul 15, 2005
514 posts
TO
As someone who had gone through that for nearly a decade, I know exactly how you feel. Thankfully it suddenly stopped when I moved out. I was very susceptible (sp?) to allergies, I know that much. It might be just your environment. Try moving out to a friend's place or living elsewhere for a week.

Try changing your regular habits and see if that helps. For example, I noticed that somethings I did the night before either increased or decreased the morning symptoms. I was told that if you work out in the morning that it helps, but that didnt help me.

Good Luck. Trust me, going through this was torture.
× < >